Spinach, Tomato and Lentil Soup

IMG_4621

I don’t know about you, but I love having a nice hearty soup waiting for me in the fridge. I find myself making large pots of soups on Sundays (that I like to call “detox soups”) which in turn carry me through the week with leftovers for lunches and maybe one easy dinner.  I love soups just like this, full of good protein and vegetables, basically everything you need for a good quick meal in a bowl.

This soup is great for those of you who are trying to incorporate more meatless meals into your daily diet.  It’s very filling and satisfying and you can even give it a little more umpf of protein by adding broken pieces whole wheat spaghetti or pasta to it (whole wheat pastas are awesome for extra protein too). I love to serve it with a slight drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and some freshly grated parmesan cheese.

So delicious.

IMG_4605

This recipe makes a lot of soup. So plan on freezing some of it. As a matter of fact, I just defrosted some for dinner tonight. Yay for me!

Spinach, Tomato and Lentil Soup

Recipe from Aggie’s Kitchen

1lb dried lentils
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 carrots, diced
2-3 celery stalks, diced
1 large onion, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 cans diced Italian tomatoes, with liquid
2 TB vegetable or chicken bouillion (I like the Better than Bouillon brand, if you don’t have bouillon, just use a vegetable or chicken broth in place of all or some water for flavor)
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
8 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
salt and pepper, to taste
3/4 bag fresh spinach
fresh grated Parmesan and extra virgin olive oil, for serving

In a large pot, heat olive oil and add vegetables, garlic, bouillon, spices and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Saute vegetables in oil for about 7-10 minutes until soft and fragrant. Add diced tomatoes, water (or broth), and lentils to vegetable mixture.

Bring soup to a slow boil for a few minutes, then back down to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for about 20-25 minutes, until soup starts to thicken. Taste for seasoning as its cooking, add more water if it gets too thick.

In the last 5 minutes of cooking, add fresh spinach leaves to soup and gently stir to combine.

IMG_4557

****************************************************************************************

Like Soup? Then Come join Soup-a-Palooza at TidyMom and Dine & Dish sponsored by Bush’s Beans, Hip Hostess, Pillsbury and Westminster Crackers! There are prizes!

Tidy Mom

If you are in the mood for soup, here are a few of my favorites, enjoy!

White Bean and Spinach Soup
Italian Vegetable Beef Soup
Ellie Krieger’s White Chili
Ina’s Mexican Chicken Soup
Minestrone with Crisped Polenta Rounds

47 Responses to “Spinach, Tomato and Lentil Soup”

1. TidyMom posted February 15, 2011 at 11:15 am

MMMMM, looks and sounds FANTASTIC!! my mouth is watering Aggie!!

Thanks for linking up to the party!

2. Julie posted February 15, 2011 at 11:26 am

Wow! This sounds amazing, can’t wait to try it :) I’m also trying to include more meatless entrees to my diet, so I think this will be a great dinner alternative!

3. The Lucky Wife posted February 15, 2011 at 11:56 am

This sounds sooo yummy, and you could not be more right …. “so many recipes, so little time.” Love it.

I’d like to invite you to participate in Foodie Friday. Thanks again for the recipe… I’m looking forward to trying it. Love lentils.

4. Erica posted February 15, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Agree! I’m a huge soup/stew/chili fan! A big pot can totally carry you through the week. Delicious & healthy! This looks perfect

5. natalie (the sweets life) posted February 15, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I’m a big fan of the detox soup as well! Made split pea and froze it–pulling that out for tonight!

6. Wenderly posted February 15, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Hits the spot is right!!!! Bulls-eye!

7. sally posted February 15, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I love lentil soup! This recipe looks especially good!

8. Eliana posted February 15, 2011 at 3:07 pm

This soup has delicious and comfort written all over it. Could go for a big bowl right now.

9. Cookin' Canuck posted February 15, 2011 at 3:39 pm

We love making big batches of soup, too. I love that this has a good dose of healthy protein.

10. Maria posted February 15, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Love this soup!

11. Shelby posted February 15, 2011 at 6:23 pm

I love lentil soup and this one looks very delicious Aggie. Great photos.

12. Lora @cakeduchess posted February 15, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Gorgeous soup Aggie:)I make a soup once a week. I like to give my dad a portion. I like the idea of freezing it. Lentils are my favorite!!

13. eatingRD posted February 15, 2011 at 9:48 pm

This looks amazing! I have a bag of lentils in the pantry I wanted to do something with, perfect! Love that it makes a butt load :)

14. The Lucky Wife posted February 15, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Thanks for this great recipe! I have linked to it in a post with our (The Chef and I) top picks from the Soup-a-Palooza and we can’t wait to try it. I’d like to invite you to participate in our Foodie Friday event. Thanks again!

15. Fallon posted February 15, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Sounds very tasty!

16. Jessica posted February 16, 2011 at 1:46 am

This looks awesome! I can’t wait to meet you in April! ;-)

17. peachkins posted February 16, 2011 at 2:13 am

this soup looks fantastic!

18. Carol posted February 16, 2011 at 6:09 am

I’m on this one! I’m craving Ginger. Do you have a good soup recipe with Ginger flavor?

19. Sandy @ RE posted February 16, 2011 at 10:13 am

Oh, friend, this sounds amazing! ON a cold rainy day …

Love ya!

20. Sarah Campo posted February 16, 2011 at 11:36 am

Hi Aggie,

Curious about how many oz. or ml are the canned diced tomatoes use you. I am gonna try the recipe tonight:)

• Aggies Kitchen posted February 16, 2011 at 1:37 pm

The 15oz size cans of diced tomatoes are what I use! Thanks!

21. Donna posted February 16, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I love soup but it definitely must have spice and pep for me to enjoy! This recipe sounds like it would do the trick!

22. Cajun Chef Ryan posted February 16, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I would really enjoy a bowl of this warming soup right about now! I agree about the BTB brand of stock bases, they are about as good as any restaurant quality brand you can get. I typically will have a jar of the chicken, beef, and vegetable on hand.

If you have access to Minor’s brand of bases, they have amazing shrimp, lobster, ham, and mushroom bases too!

23. Sarah posted February 16, 2011 at 6:44 pm

How do you do it Aggie? I love your blog, recipes, photos and all! This soup sounds great!

24. Transport Bulgaria posted February 17, 2011 at 11:44 am

Hi. I always loved tomato and lentil soup but I never tried adding spinach to it. Well, considering the fact that I love spinach too, I guess I might as well add it and follow your recipe. Thanks for sharing it. And by the way, your soup looks amazing.

25. Megan posted February 17, 2011 at 12:58 pm

yummm! I love lentils! This is a perfect winter soup!

26. Gabby@FoodChowDown posted February 17, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I could live off of eating soup everyday and nothing else. I bet it tastes as good as it looks. Yummy!

27. Susan posted February 18, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Hey Aggie,

This soup is just so healthy and wholesome! I’ve been making soup a lot of late and baking bread to have with … it’s a wintertime thing, I guess!

I’m passing an award your way, Aggie! I love the look of your site and although you may be too busy to pass it forward to some of your fave bloggers, you deserve it just the same, hence a Stylish Blogger Award, from me to you! Your site is fresh looking and easy to negotiate. It’s always an inspiration to me … thanks for your hard work!

28. Lauren from Lauren's Latest posted February 18, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Even before reading the post, I read the title and instantly though “how healthy and yummy!” I’m bookmarking this recipe!

29. J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) posted February 20, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I’ve been on such a lentil kick lately! That looks wonderful.

30. Sprinzette posted February 21, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Great post – this is just what I was looking for. Will have more of a nose around your site – thanks for the inspiration!

31. Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen posted February 21, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Lentil soup! One of my favorites!

32. JulieD posted February 22, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Aggie, this looks delicious! I really wanted to participate in the Soupalooza but didn’t have time. Hope you win one of the prizes.

33. patsy posted February 25, 2011 at 8:40 am

I love making a pot of soup to have for lunch during the week, too! I haven’t made lentil soup yet, but may have to try it after seeing your soup! Yum!

34. valene zogorski posted March 1, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Im normally not a lentil fan..but i really want to like them as they are soo good for you. Anyway I made this soup Sunday night and had it last night for dinner. It was so yummy and we have so much leftover. I am freezing it and will redish it as a rice topper.

35. The Lucky Wife posted March 8, 2011 at 9:39 pm

We are making this soup tonight!! Of our top picks from Soup-a-Palooza, The Chef and I decided on this one to try first when trying to figure out what new recipe we were going to make. The house smells so good.

36. Healthy&Homemade posted March 15, 2011 at 2:09 am

Looks hearty and delicious!

37. Sharon posted December 4, 2012 at 8:27 pm

The spinach and lentil soup was amazing!

38. Anna posted April 8, 2013 at 10:18 pm

This was excellent – I added a small head of purple cabbage at the end, just before the spinach.

Some people may feel it lacks salt, so add as desired.

Thank you for the recipe!
    Anna

39. Liz posted April 17, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Thank you for the nice lentil soup recipe. I love lentils.

40. wintkat posted December 6, 2013 at 7:44 pm

A google search brought me to this recipe
    Made it today/yummy – definitely a keeper
    Didn’t use the red pepper-I find sometimes pepper flavor overwhelms
    Great with Romano cheese

Thanks for sharing
    Kathy

41. liz posted December 30, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Nice recipe. Thank you and Happy New Year.

1. Pingback: Spinach, Tomato and Lentil Soup | Aggie's Kitchen | ClubEvoo

2. Pingback: Smoky Sausage and Vegetable Soup

3. Pingback: Mediterranean Lentil Salad | Aggie's Kitchen

4. Pingback: Healthy Comfort Food: Beef, Lentil and Spinach Stew | I Crashed The Web

5. Pingback: Spinach, Tomato and Lentil Soup | Fork Lore