Simple Salmon Salad

by Aggies Kitchen on January 9, 2013

Simple Salmon Salad | Aggie's Kitchen

I’m slowly easing back into post-holiday life now that my kids are back in school. I hit the gym for a good hour-long cardio session this morning and am determined to drink a gazillion ounces of water today. I didn’t gain a million pounds over the holidays like I thought I would, but I did hit a level of feeling sluggish that I am not comfortable with, and I can attribute that to less sleep, less exercise and more of everything else if you know what I mean. But we are past all that, it’s a new year, a fresh start. It’s time to focus on taking care of me. So I can take care of them. If you know what I mean.

I feel pretty ‘with it’ so far this week. I wrote out a meal plan. I’m caught up on laundry (ha, not really but for today), and I’m focused on staying active as well as logging my meals into My Fitness Pal to make sure I stay on track. I’ve even connected with an awesome group of people on Facebook that my friend Kim brought together with her Weigh-In Wednesday series…all focused on getting healthy. I love accountability and it’s so motivating so have a place to share and be encouraged, as well as figure out what to eat for lunch or dinner. (if you are looking for healthy accountability head over and find out how you can be a part of it too)

Simple Salmon Salad | Aggie's Kitchen

It’s no secret that meal planning can really make life insanely easier. There are so many perks to it…less eating out, saving money, more peaceful dinner times and for those of us trying to keep our weight and health in check, it’s pretty necessary for success.

Here’s my (dinner) meal plan this week. Indecisive, yes, but effective. It’s a start. :)

picstitch

I’m not 100% convinced that I’ll be making meatloaf tomorrow. Maybe something like this barbecue shredded chicken instead (with possible leftovers to freeze or make barbecue chicken pita pizzas for Friday night).

On the meal plan for tonight? Liz’s Szechuan Green Beans and Ground Turkey (but with broccoli and red bell pepper)

To add to the meal plan next week? Rachels’ Quinoa Power Pancakes (breakfast for dinner anyone? Perfect to throw in the freezer for easy breakfasts too!)

Simple Salmon Salad | Aggie's Kitchen

Instead of tuna salad for lunch, I treated myself to this simple salmon salad I put together with leftover cooked salmon I had in the fridge. I have been obsessed with salmon salad ever since I had it in Oregon a couple of months ago. Any time salmon is on my menu, be assured that I will be making extra just so I can have this for lunch the next day (or two). This was so delicious and a nice change from your everyday tuna sandwich.

Simple Salmon Salad

Yield: serves 2

A great change from tuna salad. Plan ahead next time you are cooking up salmon for dinner and set aside some to make this light and flavorful, healthy salad.

Ingredients

• 1/2 lb cooked salmon, flaked
  • 1 heaping teaspoon light mayo (more if you like mayo)
  • squeeze of lemon
  • big pinch of salt and pepper (or lemon pepper if you prefer)
  • 1 celery stalk, chopped small
  • 1 teaspoon chives, chopped

Instructions

1. Add your leftover flaked salmon to a bowl. Season well with salt, pepper (or lemon pepper), mayo and a splash of fresh squeezed lemon. Add chopped celery and chives and combine well.
  2. Serve on whole grain bread, pita or crackers. Or just eat it on its own.

Have you entered my Healthy New Year Cookbook giveaway yet? 6 cookbooks! It ends this Friday, don’t miss out.

Linking up: Buns In My Oven’s What’s Cooking Wednesday

Tara @ Unsophisticook January 9, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Totally agree about the meal planning. I need to get back in that groove!

Aggies Kitchen January 9, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I’ve never really been in the groove, but I need to be. It’s essential for so many reasons! :)

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl January 9, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Love your weigh in Wednesday group with Kim! I am part of one every Friday morning and it really is great to have the support. It also keeps me from daily weighing which I think can drive people nuts. This salmon salad looks amazing!!

Aggies Kitchen January 9, 2013 at 1:39 pm

It’s great to find people you can connect with that are on the same page, with the same goal. Love it!

Erica January 9, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I’m a meal planning maniac….I write everything down as well! I wish I liked salmon- this looks so pretty and healthy

Aggies Kitchen January 9, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I’m already working on next week. I think now that I have the notebook started, the meals and shopping for this week done, then I’m ahead of the game! I’m inspired by all you meal planners!!

Kim | At Home With Kim January 9, 2013 at 1:34 pm

First of all, those pictures are gorgeous! Rockin’ skills GirlFriend. Second, I’m insanely jealous of your delicious meal plan…. but grateful you shared so I can totally copy it {and thank you for the links too}. Third, thanks for the sweet words about the group. It’s become such a great source of accountability & encouragement…. and I’m SO thrilled you’re a big part of it. Love you Girl!

Aggies Kitchen January 9, 2013 at 1:41 pm

I’m so happy you brought it together Kim! Love it!

Heather (Heather's Dish) January 9, 2013 at 1:36 pm

I’m using MyFitnessPal too – I love it! And this salad? YES PLEASE. Although I’d probably use Greek yogurt instead of mayo ;)

Aggies Kitchen January 9, 2013 at 1:41 pm

I was totally going to use Greek yogurt, but switched at the last second. Next time!!! I will look for you on MFP!

JulieD January 9, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I totally need to get back into meal planning too! And this salmon salad, love everything about it!

Aggies Kitchen January 9, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Thanks Julie! :)

Rachel Cooks January 9, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Thanks for the link and pancake love! :) I need to start meal planning again…

Rachel January 9, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I love tuna salad and this looks like a great alternative! Love your photos!

Have a great rest of the week!

Paula - bell'alimento January 9, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I’m totally late with lunch today. This looks like it would fit the bill nicely.

Cassie | Bake Your Day January 9, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I really love this Aggie. Could probably eat it multiple times per week!

Leslie January 9, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Meal planning really does save the day!!!! The salad look like something I need right NOW!

Julia January 9, 2013 at 4:35 pm

This salmon salad looks amazing. I love adding salmon in–adds great health benefits and help keep you feeling full!

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite January 9, 2013 at 6:46 pm

This simple salad looks so good. I’m trying really hard this year to get better at menu planning. I just ordered my Erin Condren planner so hopefully that will be a good start for me.

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles January 9, 2013 at 9:36 pm

You are so WITH it! Since the cold weather hit, my exercise has faltered badly. I just would rather be outside for exercise, and am not a cold weather exerciser! But a simple salmon salad…THAT I can do. Yum!

Leslie K. January 9, 2013 at 10:02 pm

The salmon salad looks great. Having salmon tomorrow night for dinner so will have leftover for this on Friday for lunch. This is all new to me but love the site.

Erika @ The Hopeless Housewife January 9, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Meal planning is the way to go and I love how easy this salmon salad is.

Alyssa (Everyday Maven) January 9, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Aggie – I LOVE this – I just joined the group! I am back to Weight Watchers tomorrow and can’t wait :)

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen January 10, 2013 at 12:09 am

My mom makes salmon salad and she has got me hooked. This looks like the perfect lunch!

Sheila January 10, 2013 at 12:26 am

I’m up way too late, and I’m way to hungry to be reading food blogs. This looks amazing Aggie.

Susie January 10, 2013 at 8:07 am

I am so making this today! I made salmon last night, wish you posted this yesterday;)

Amy (Savory Moments) January 10, 2013 at 8:16 am

Your salmon salad looks really delicious. I love meal planning for the week, and, I admit I am quite anal about it LOL. I do it every weekend and stick to it pretty well. It helps a lot to keep from spending excess money at the grocery store and from eating out at the end of a long work day!

Marnely Rodriguez-Murray January 10, 2013 at 9:21 am

Aggie, this looks amazing and just what I’d love for lunch!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme January 10, 2013 at 9:39 am

What a welcome change this sald would be from all the heavy food of the holiday season! I’ve never been good at meal planning, or any kind of long-term planning for that matter, but one of my goals for this year is to really try to make a weekly meal plan. Wish me luck!

kirsten@FarmFreshFeasts January 10, 2013 at 9:40 am

This salmon salad looks delicious. I never have leftovers of salmon, but I think I’ll have to try next time so I can make this.

Please post an update of how you’re liking My Fitness Pal. I got so sick of typing in a recipe for every single meal (because, you know, you’re making different foods to blog about them) that I just gave up and left it to my ‘scan the package barcode’ friends since it works great for them.

Thanks!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist January 10, 2013 at 10:02 am

I love this!! I meal plan too, even though 99% of the time I never stick to what I plan haha!!

Becky @ Olives n Wine January 10, 2013 at 11:53 am

Meal planning is one of my 2013 goals as well. I always create a plan but then I don’t stick with it! I need to find motivation after work during the week to focus on cooking :)

Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen January 10, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I meal plan exactly the same way. I keep those slips of paper on my counter through the week and it’s fun to go back through the for inspiration when I’m short on ideas. Salmon is one of my fav things to eat and this is a great idea for leftovers!

Melissa @ Love Bug Living January 10, 2013 at 2:11 pm

This looks simple and delicious! We never seem to have leftover salmon, so I’ll have to make sure I buy more next time we have it. I was really going to the gym today, but someone decided she wanted to stay home with strep instead. I will definitely see you next week though.

Angie January 10, 2013 at 4:27 pm

This I have to make. I’ve been trying to incorporate as much salmon in our menu as possible.

Minnie(@thelady8home) January 11, 2013 at 1:12 am

Even I have to try this out. Its so refreshingly healthy. Loved it.

Filipino Food January 11, 2013 at 7:52 am

Yummy-yummy!! thanks for sharing this great recipe. Very simple yet seductive… hehe dunno know how describe this delicious dish…

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective January 11, 2013 at 9:19 am

Mmmmm. Just MMMMMMM! That is the best looking salad I’ve seen all week.

patsy January 11, 2013 at 9:46 am

I love salmon but, don’t make it at home all that often… the family can’t stand the smell of fish cooking inside, so I leave it for the warmer months when I can use the grill. I hear you on feeling better once I get back to healthier habits! Already feeling a change in my overall outlook!

The Healthy Apple January 12, 2013 at 7:41 pm

I love salmon salad; this looks delish and I love putting it on crackers too! Such a fun recipe as an afternoon snack or lunch! Thanks Aggie. Have a great weekend!

Karly January 13, 2013 at 9:47 am

I’m trying to get back to meal planning too. I spend so much time on blogs and pinterest that it makes it hard to plan too far in advance. For example, I was planning on chicken and dumplings for dinner, but now I’ve seen this salmon salad and….well, you know how it goes.

Thanks for linking them up to What’s Cookin’ Wednesday!

Aggies Kitchen January 13, 2013 at 8:45 pm

I know EXACTLY what you mean!! LOL

Emma January 13, 2013 at 3:51 pm

This looks amazing. I love salmon. I will try this salad very soon. Please check out the food blog I have started http://www.surreyKitchen.wordpress.com. Thanks!

Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking January 14, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I desperately need to get back on making a weekly menu or I find myself eating what i’m not supposed to or order Chinese.
I need to but more fish, it’s so good for us. thanks for the wonderful recipe Aggie

Jackson Clarke January 15, 2013 at 11:02 am

​The idea of a meal plan is great; particularly during the early part of the year; i think it gets hard not to say no to a takeaway in the cold! The salad itself is great and although I am not on a health kick I definitely think it would be great alone or accompanied with a main meat dish so this is definitely going to get a try in my home!

Lorne Marr January 23, 2013 at 9:25 am

It’s great to see that people have been preferring eating healthier food lately. And you’re right, there are too many recipes and not enough time for them. I have been looking for some salad recipes for a couple of days and I’ve realized that there are so many of them that you could eat salads everyday without having to use the same recipe twice. And it’s also good to see simple and tasty dishes that can be prepared in no time like this one. Thanks.

Aggies Kitchen January 23, 2013 at 9:36 am

You are so right about eating a different kind of salad everyday! I appreciate you stopping by and commenting, hope you enjoy the salad!