Salmon and Veggie Stir Fry….Day 4 of the 17 Day Diet

Pin It

So it’s day 4 of my 17 Day Diet and I have to say…it hasn’t been too bad! I think once you get your fridge stocked and you know your options and have your meals somewhat planned (and of course the WILLPOWER, which  I must say is so incredibly important and I am happy to have right now) then it’s totally doable. I haven’t attempted to try on my jeans that I wore on Sunday night (I swear I thought the button was going to pop off while I was sitting in my seat at the Magic game, very low moment for me, ugh) but I have weighed myself and I am happy to report that I am down 4 lbs since I started Monday (for the record though, I’m technically down 8 lbs but I really don’t want to count the 4 lbs of salt and beer weight that I horrifically gained overnight Sunday…so I’m sticking to what I weighed New Year’s Eve for good measure).

Do you want to know what I’ve been eating the last few days? A typical day has been going like this for me:

Breakfast – 1 egg/2 egg white scramble (or 1 egg ‘fried’) with onions and sliced tomatoes, green tea

Snack – kefir smoothie (1 cup plain kefir, 1 cup defrosted but still sorta frozen blueberries, squirt of agave), apples, oranges (all before 2pm)

Lunch – big spinach salad with tomatoes, celery, cucumbers, tuna with a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic or lemon juice

Dinner: broiled fish with stewed tomatoes and green beans (recipe to come), fried eggs and kale chips,  and this amazing salmon and veggie stir fry

lots of iced green tea throughout the day

This stir fry rocked my world people. Every single time I make a stir fry, I always ask myself why I don’t make it more often. If you make it right, the veggies turn out perfectly bright and crunchy and I used hardly any oil for this one. I actually used non stick spray on my super hot wok, which was a first for me (I usually use a little canola oil, which isn’t a bad thing either!). I was inspired by a recipe I found in The Good Housekeeping Test Kitchen Cookbook (that I received recently) and the only change I really made was that I added broccoli, used sliced sweet onion instead of green onion, and didn’t add any cornstarch, sugar or water.

It was so simple and this little bit of sauce tied it all together. A little soy sauce, NAKANO rice vinegar and lots of garlic and ginger is all you need for a good punch of flavor and hardly any calories.

(note: for this recipe, because I am watching my sugar, I used the original natural rice vinegar, not the seasoned one)

Salmon and Veggie Stir Fry
Recipe adapted from The Good Housekeeping Test Kitchen Cookbook

3/4 – 1 lb wild salmon, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
1/4 teaspoon salt
pinch fresh ground pepper
1 good handful of asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
1 good handful of broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 sweet onion, sliced thin
1 1/2 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon Nakano rice vinegar (I used the natural, original rice vinegar with no added sugar)
1 tablespoon grated or minced ginger
2 garlic cloves, pressed in garlic press or minced very small
1/4 teaspoon agave, honey, sugar or sweetener of choice (optional)

Heat a nonstick wok over medium high heat. Season salmon pieces with salt and pepper. Spray wok with cooking spray and add salmon to hot pan. Cook fish gently, turning occasionally as each side starts to turn pink and cooked through. Transfer fish to a plate and keep warm.

In same skillet, add asparagus, broccoli and onion. Cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally until crisp tender, about 5 minutes.

While vegetables are cooking, stir together soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, garlic and sweetener of choice in small bowl. Pour over vegetables in wok and cook for about a minute longer, constantly stirring. Spoon vegetable mixture over salmon and toss gently before serving.

Makes 2 servings.

Serve with a few dashes of sriracha if you like heat!

(Disclosure: I received products and compensation from Nakano, but my opinions are always my own. I developed this recipe using their product, but Nakano is a product you would already find in my home.)

36 Responses to “Salmon and Veggie Stir Fry….Day 4 of the 17 Day Diet”

1. Melissa @ Love Bug Living posted January 5, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Looks so good! I could eat so much better if I just came to your house for dinner every night! ;-)

• Aggies Kitchen posted January 5, 2012 at 7:59 pm

you are more than welcome to Melissa :)

Thank you!

2. Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga posted January 5, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I love it when the veggies turn out perfectly bright and crunchy…and you succeeded with these!

And congrats on being down 4 or 8 lbs but most of all for just making a change you wanted to make in your life…THAT is the best thing of all.

• Aggies Kitchen posted January 5, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Me too Averie…don’t like soggy stir fry at all! I feel so much better this week than I have in a long time…between traveling and holidays it caught up to me. Thanks for your support girl!! xo

3. Culinary Cache posted January 5, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I love salmon and am obsessed with stir-frys right now, great version!

• Aggies Kitchen posted January 5, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I too see myself becoming obsessed with stir frys in the near future :)

4. Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids posted January 5, 2012 at 5:04 pm

This looks so incredibly delicious. And, those pictures are just beautiful. I cannot wait to try this!

• Aggies Kitchen posted January 5, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Your compliment made my day! Thank you! I have been in a camera rut (not even using it lately!) because it gets dark so early and the photos just look blah…so I treated myself to an early dinner with this one and some creative energy on top of that!

5. Val Sweeney Cathell posted January 5, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Aggie ~ I think this looks awesome! Great pic — and if it tastes as good as it looks….!! I hope you don’t mind, but I Stumbled it for you. tags: salmon, diet, vegetables with description: 17 day diet. I liked it so much I wanted to share it further! I can always change it if you need me to. :-)
    Val

• Aggies Kitchen posted January 5, 2012 at 8:02 pm

you are awesome Val! Thank you so so much!! I love stumble love! I appreciate it!

6. Bev Weidner posted January 5, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Giiiiirl, you’re doing it! Amazing. And this dish? COMEON. love it.

• Aggies Kitchen posted January 5, 2012 at 8:04 pm

oh girl I am totally doing it. Got the holiday weight off, now to work on the NY trip weight and then the Thanksgiving weight ;)
      I think I’ll be set for the most part after that.
      This dish reminded me of you for some reason. :)

7. Cassie posted January 5, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Congrats on your progress, Aggie! This meal plan doesn’t sound so bad and this meal sounds perfect!

• Aggies Kitchen posted January 5, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Thanks Cassie! It’s really not that bad at all. There’s def some discipline…but I was developing some really bad eating habits the last few months (basically eating anything and everything :) )…it’s time to get back to the moderation lifestyle. Need to drop a few lbs first then I’ll be set. :)

8. Liz posted January 5, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Oh, this looks so fabulous! I could eat this almost every night for dinner….mmmmmmm.

9. Heather (Heather's Dish) posted January 6, 2012 at 12:50 am

this looks amazing…i’m having to watch what i eat with gestational diabetes and the no sugar/no cornstarch thing is right up my alley right now. and the best part? i feel fantastic since eating better!

10. Kalyn posted January 6, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Looks delicious, and this is Phase One too.

11. Deborah posted January 7, 2012 at 3:31 am

I could be very happy eating this!

12. Sanjeeta kk posted January 7, 2012 at 7:49 am

Kudos to your efforts, veggies stir fried with sauces are one of my fav. and am sure you will reach your target soon with such light and refreshing recipes. Hugs.

13. Magic of Spice posted January 7, 2012 at 5:25 pm

What a delightful and delicious looking stir fry!

14. Amber posted January 7, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I love your website! I came across it searching for 17 Day Diet recipes. I’m on day four today and I’m happy with my loss so far. I’m having a little trouble though because I don’t eat eggs or fish so that really narrows my options. Any ideas?
    Amber :)

• Aggies Kitchen posted January 9, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I wish I could help! I’m struggling a bit because I eat fish and eggs but not much other meat. Are you vegan? I find this diet not very vegetarian friendly, though I guess I could follow the swaps with beans (I eat a lot of beans and whole grains for my protein normally). I am hoping to get through the next week of this diet and then it should be easier by adding in a little more variety.

Good luck to you!! Keep me posted!

• Amber posted January 9, 2012 at 8:29 pm

No, I’m not vegan. Having the yogurt for breakfast replaces eggs for me and I eat chicken and turkey but I’m running out of good ideas. I don’t want to get bored! :)

15. Cara posted January 8, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Glad to hear it’s going well for you!

16. Robyn | Add a Pinch posted January 8, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Aggie! This stir fry looks amazing! I can’t wait to try it. Pinned!

17. Kim - Liv Life posted January 18, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Congrats on sticking to the meal plan!! I have not been having such good willpower and my days have started off well and ended up with bread and chips and guacamole. Not so good.
    This dish though, would not require any arm twisting to get me to eat it! Ingredients I have on hand, this just may be whats for dinner. THank you!

18. Jessica posted February 8, 2012 at 6:35 am

this was so delicious!

19. Randi posted February 22, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Think it’d still be yummy if I substitute chicken for the salmon?

20. Randi posted February 23, 2012 at 10:34 am

Oh, it was still yummy with chicken. Will absolutely make again… eventually with salmon (if it goes on sale). Thanks for the recipe! Healthy with tons of flavor!

• Aggies Kitchen posted February 23, 2012 at 2:09 pm

That’s great! I would think it would be good with some lean beef too…I know my husband would like that :) Thanks for letting me know and I’m so happy you enjoyed it! :)

21. Rachel - A Southern Fairytale posted October 10, 2012 at 10:15 am

Linked to this today ;-)

1. Pingback: Quick and Healthy: Salmon, Broccoli and Asparagus Stir Fry | Family Kitchen

2. Pingback: Tangy Tuna Salad Wraps...and a 17 Day Diet recap | Aggie's Kitchen