Taco Turkey & Black Bean Rice Bowls
Change up your Taco Tuesday routine with these easy Taco Turkey & Black Bean Rice Bowls. These rice bowls are also great for meal prep!
One thing I’m quickly learning these days is that the more prep I do as far as meals go, the smoother dinnertime is during the week. For instance, when you find yourself with some time to spare over the weekend (or while you are in the kitchen already cooking up something else), go ahead and cook up some brown rice to put in the fridge ready to go for another meal. I’ve been trying to do that each week and because I did last week, for instance, these Taco Turkey and Black Bean Rice Bowls were a breeze to pull together for dinner. Cooking up the brown rice ahead of time freed up some cook time at dinner where I just had to pull together the taco meat and bean mixture while assembling the bowls.
Normally a pound of ground turkey doesn’t go very far for my hungry family of 5. I stretched it a bit by bulking it up with black beans, chopped red pepper and onion as it was browning. Four out of 5 of us love black beans so adding them to our taco meat is always a more economical (and healthier) option in my book.
Your favorite brown rice will work for these Taco Turkey and Black Bean Rice Bowls, but I like to add an extra boost of nutrition by using my favorite sprouted rice and quinoa blend that I have picked up at Costco in the past (unfortunately I didn’t see it last couple trips to Costco, but I’m hoping it comes back.).
If you are into meal prepping quick grab & go meals for yourself and/or other family members, this is a great recipe for that! Just portion out the rice into 4-6 containers (this will all depend on the amount of rice you want in your meal obviously) and add the the taco meat topping to each. I would keep the cold topping ingredients in a separate container to add after heating up the rice and and taco meat. Or add extra lettuce and eat cold with salsa as a taco rice salad bowl!
Taco Turkey & Black Bean Rice Bowls
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can Bush's Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup salsa
For the rice bowls:
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- sliced avocado
- shredded lettuce
- chopped tomato
- plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- hot sauce
- extra salsa
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add your ground turkey to pan and break up with a wooden spoon.
- As your ground turkey is browning, add your bell pepper, onion and spices to the meat mixture. Continue to cook for about 5-7 minutes until veggies are softened and turkey is cooked through.
- Add black beans and salsa to turkey mixture and gently stir to combine. Turn off heat.
- Build your rice bowls by adding a scoop of brown rice to your bowl, then topping with turkey and black bean mixture. Add toppings of choice but I love to add shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, avocado, Greek yogurt and hot sauce.
Follow AggiesKitchen on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from the blog! Use the hashtag #aggieskitchen - I'd love to see what you are cooking up!
More recipes great for meal prep:
Teriyaki Chicken Meal Prep | iFoodreal
Meal Prep Breakfast Taco Scramble | Skinnytaste
Are you following me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest? If you’d like to subscribe to Aggie’s Kitchen and have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box, then please add your email here. Happy cooking!
There are affiliate links in this post. I make small earnings through any purchases made through these links. Thank you for supporting Aggie’s Kitchen!