Easy Side Dish: Corn, Tomato and Basil Saute
This Corn, Tomato and Basil Saute has all the flavors of summer in one side dish!
All you need is a few ingredients to put together a great side dish like this Corn, Tomato and Basil Saute during the week. This past week, I had mini turkey meatloaves on the menu (inspired by my friend Liz who always has great healthy dinner ideas) and wanted to use what I had on hand as far as our side vegetable was concerned. You can pretty much always count on finding some frozen veggies in my freezer so when I saw that I had corn, I knew exactly how I was going to prepare this Corn, Tomato and Basil Saute. We had just picked a small bowl of fresh ripe cherry tomatoes from our little garden days before, and I knew my basil was starting to come in. I had half of an onion leftover from the Mini Cheddar-BBQ Turkey Meatloaf Muffins I was making so with all those ingredients, this delicious little side dish was created. The kids gobbled it up and my son declared the meal “the best ever”. Add a little side salad for some extra green and you are set.
More Easy Summer Side Dishes To Try
Corn, Tomato and Basil Saute
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 2 cups frozen corn (or fresh and cooked if you have it!)
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- handful of fresh basil, julienned or torn
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat your olive oil in a large non stick skillet over medium heat. Add onion. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until onions soft.
- Add corn and stir. Saute for 5 minutes, until corn is cooked through.
- Add tomatoes and fresh basil and gently toss. Turn off heat. Tomatoes will continue to cook and soften over the next couple of minutes.
- Taste for salt and pepper, adjust. Serve warm.
Follow AggiesKitchen on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from the blog! Use the hashtag #aggieskitchen - I'd love to see what you are cooking up!
Are you following me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest? If you’d like to subscribe to Aggie’s Kitchen and have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box, then please add your email here. Happy cooking!
There are affiliate links in this post. I make small earnings through any purchases made through these links. Thank you for supporting Aggie’s Kitchen!