Heidi’s Pineapple Salsa

I discovered this amazing pineapple salsa a few years back when my friend Heidi brought it to one of our get togethers. I’ve made it several times since (when I’m not asking Heidi to make it for me) and it’s always enjoyed by everyone. Really, what’s not to love when you combine fresh pineapple with lime, jalapenos and cilantro – each bite truly makes your taste buds sing. Or break out into a little dance. Or whatever suits your fancy.

This pineapple salsa was part of a spread I put together for my husband Larry’s 40th birthday bash this past weekend. We celebrated my husband with all of his favorite things – food being a big part of it obviously. Our good friend, Rich, worked his smoker the day before the party cooking up a ridiculous amount of pork and beef that we served sandwich style with horsey sauce along with several bottles of Larry’s favorite barbecue sauces. In addition to this salsa there was this Cucumber and Feta Greek Yogurt Dip paired up with pita chips (my weakness!) as well as tomato and mozzarella skewers and fresh fruit skewers. We also picked up some glorious macaroni and cheese and cornbread salad from our favorite local BBQ place. There was some good eating going on.

Larry's Bday Collage

To say we had a great time would be an understatement. It brought me such pleasure to see my husband surrounded by all of his favorite people, dancing to his favorite music, watching clips from his favorite videos on the big screen, drinking his favorite drinks, eating his favorite food. Larry provided the entertainment – because in case you didn’t know, that’s what he’s good at – and we partied the night away. Since his birthday isn’t actually until this Friday, the 8th, the celebration continues this week…but in a little more low key let’s-go-out-for-fondue-with-the-kids kind of way.

So, needless to say – this salsa belongs at your next party. Or barbecue. Or fiesta. Or Saturday night in front of the tube. Or whatever. Make it, eat it and be merry.

Heidi’s Pineapple Salsa

My good friend Heidi introduced me to this fresh and fruity salsa years ago and it's become one of my favorite salsas to make! A refreshing change from traditional salsa, serve with your favorite tortilla chips or over grilled chicken or fish.

Ingredients

• 1 whole pineapple, diced small
  • 2 limes, juiced
  • 1 small can mandarin oranges, rinsed and drained, chopped
  • 3-4 jalapenos, seeded and diced small
  • handful cilantro, chopped
  • big pinch salt and pepper

Instructions

1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Taste for salt and pepper. Serve with your favorite tortilla chips, or over grilled chicken or fish.

Notes

I absolutely love the Food Should Taste Good Multigrain Chips Tortilla Chips and they paired up perfectly with this salsa.

25 Responses to “Heidi’s Pineapple Salsa”

1. Lori @ RecipeGirl.com posted February 6, 2013 at 10:19 am

I love that you posted this because just a couple of days ago I bought a Pineapple Salsa from the store… a totally expensive “organic” pineapple salsa. It was so smack full of onions that’s all I could taste! And yours doesn’t have ANY onions! Yay!

• Aggies Kitchen posted February 6, 2013 at 10:24 am

what’s funny Lori is one time I accidentally made it with onion (b/c I thought it was in recipe) and just like you said – it was all I could taste!! Will never add again. This one is so fresh and pure, you taste each ingredient :)

2. Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell posted February 6, 2013 at 10:26 am

SO up my alley. I’m on it! Thank you!

3. Erica posted February 6, 2013 at 10:52 am

The party looks amazing! You did such a fantastic job!! And this salsa has Josh written all over it (hes not a big tomato guy)

4. Sheila posted February 6, 2013 at 11:01 am

Mouthwatering! This looks amazing. What a fun collage of pics from your party! Looks like a great time was had by all!!

5. Gina@thefauxschool posted February 6, 2013 at 11:12 am

That looks so yummy, looks like I have something to try this weekend. Thank you

6. Cookin' Canuck posted February 6, 2013 at 11:20 am

It sounds as though you guys are having a fun celebration week. Happy 40th to your husband! And this salsa looks so good…I’ll bet it’s great on fish tacos.

• Aggies Kitchen posted February 6, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Oh it would be SO good on fish tacos!! Love it.

7. Kim | At Home With Kim posted February 6, 2013 at 12:12 pm

What a great gift you gave him in that party. Looks like he had so so much fun. I LOVE the food you served. And by the way GirlFriend, you look smokin’ in the pictures!!!!

8. Liz @ The Lemon Bowl posted February 6, 2013 at 12:42 pm

What a BLAST you guys had!!! Loving the photos and I want to eat every single thing you’ve described!!! So fun!! Happy 40th to your hubby!

9. JulieD posted February 6, 2013 at 5:14 pm

So glad he had a fun party!! Happy Birthday, Larry!!! And I love this salsa!! We’ll have to make it soon when we make fish next time!

10. katie posted February 6, 2013 at 9:23 pm

I was totally following along last weekend on instagram! Looks like he had a blast and this salsa looks amazing!

11. Alyssa (Everyday Maven) posted February 6, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Happy 40th to your hubby Aggie! What a fun party and birthday week! This salsa sounds really yummy – I would love it on some Shrimp Tacos.

12. Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen posted February 7, 2013 at 9:31 am

Happy 40th to your husband! It’ s a good year for turning 40! ;) This salsa sounds so great and I know I would love it!

13. Kirsten@FarmFreshFeasts posted February 7, 2013 at 10:05 am

What a great fresh salsa–thanks, Aggie.

Happy 40th to your husband!

14. Bree posted February 7, 2013 at 10:07 am

I love pineapple salsa and this one looks grea! The party looks like a lot of fun too :)

15. Jen @ Savory Simple posted February 7, 2013 at 10:10 am

I absolutely love fruit salsas!

16. claire @ the realistic nutritionist posted February 7, 2013 at 10:17 am

fruity salsa FOR THE WIN!!

17. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies posted February 7, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Pineapple salsa is my FAVORITE kind of salsa! I’m definitely going to make this–and I will probably have it with the FSTG tortilla chips too (love those!). :D

18. Kristen posted February 8, 2013 at 1:45 pm

That salsa is definitley getting made ASAP!
    So glad the party was a fun success :)

19. Sandy @ RE posted February 8, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Looks like such a fabulous party! Lucky Larry! :)

20. Kristin @ Dizzy Busy and Hungry! posted February 8, 2013 at 6:43 pm

I have printed this recipe and will make it for when we have people over in a few weeks. I love cilantro, jalapeno, and lime! Combining all those flavors together with the pineapple is so intriguing. Thanks for posting this!

21. patsy posted February 10, 2013 at 8:46 pm

I’m going to have to make this soon! Totally going to use it to top fish tacos!

22. Kristin @ Dizzy Busy and Hungry! posted February 16, 2013 at 2:00 pm

I just had to follow up…. I made this salsa today and I can’t believe how good it is! It is an amazing flavor burst with every bite. There is so much going on with the jalapenos, citrus, and cilantro, but it all works so perfectly together. LOVE IT!

23. Angie @ Big Bear's Wife posted February 22, 2013 at 10:32 am

That salsa looks so good. I need a little bit of pineapple/tropicalness in my life right now haha