Stuffed Acorn Squash

AcornThree

Fall has finally arrived in Florida!  We have been enjoying “cooler” temps the past few days…let’s just say it’s sunny and in the 70s.  Tomorrow might be the last day of paradise for a while though…the forecast shows 80s the rest of the week.  I wish I could bottle up this weather and keep it around a lot longer…

So with fall, comes a whole new bunch of fun stuff to eat.  I’m seeing a ton of pumpkin recipes all over the web, I’m dying to make pumpkin something.  And then there are all those pretty squashes that are in the stores now…one of which the acorn squash.  I have always just admired these guys from a distance…I think I bought one last year and tried roasting it, but apparently it wasn’t memorable.  The other day an acorn squash recipe caught my eye on Itzy’s Kitchen.  I saw how she served one just roasted, and then another delicious looking one stuffed with all kinds of yummy things. She even baked up the seeds for an awesome snack!  So I decided to give acorn squash another try…and I must say it was a success!

I’m making another version of it tonight….more of a vegetarian mishmosh of a stuffing, with jarred vodka tomato sauce.  Weird combination, yes I know, but I’m playing “use it up” and I think it will be delicious!

AcornFive

Stuffed Acorn Squash
Recipe from Aggie’s Kitchen

(printable recipe)

Makes 4 servings

2 acorn squash
1 lb ground turkey
2 tsp poultry seasoning
1 – 2 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper, to taste
2 tsp whole fennel seed
1 container of whole mushrooms, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 bunch of kale, chopped
1/2 cup beef broth
1/2 cup panko
Parmesan cheese, freshly grated

Take acorn squash and carefully cut into even halves. Sprinkle salt and pepper into each half and place in 400 degree oven. Cook for approximately 1 hour.

In a large non stick skillet, heat 1 tsp oil and add chopped onions and mushrooms. Cook until soften, then add ground turkey. Cook and crumble for about 10 minutes, add seasonings and stir.  Cook ground turkey until browned, add chopped kale. Continue to cook for another 10 minutes or so, add beef broth and panko and bring down to a simmer. Cook slowly until all of broth is absorbed. Set aside.

Spoon turkey mixture into each acorn squash half. Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and place under broiler for about 5-8 minutes, until cheese is browned.

Download and print this recipe

AcornFour

Jump on over to Test Kitchen Secrets (Cooking Light’s own blog) and read about this month’s Virtual Supper Club…if you are a food blogger and have your own Cooking Light “Cooking With Wine” recipe to share post a comment on this post and include a link to the recipe!  Next month’s theme is Tapas, Appetizers and Small Plates so stay tuned!

25 Responses to “Stuffed Acorn Squash”

1. Maria posted October 19, 2009 at 6:34 pm

I love fall flavors, I can’t get enough. I love your stuffed squash!

2. Erica posted October 19, 2009 at 8:06 pm

YUM! Yours turned out looking incredible! I am loving acorn squash right now- can’t get enough. Thanks for all the shout outs.

3. Shelby posted October 19, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Looks yum Aggie! I need to head over to mom & dads and raid their winter squash! :)

4. Jamie posted October 20, 2009 at 5:59 pm

Aggie,
    I’ve never had acorn squash. How does it taste? Like summer squash? Looks great and really good for you.

5. Cara posted October 21, 2009 at 9:27 am

I love acorn squash – well, actually I love all winter squash! The sweet, nutty flavor is perfect for pairing with spicy/savory or sweet or even sharp flavors. I love your version of stuffed squash! I did one last week with quinoa, apples and pecans, and I’m trying a southwestern version tonight with black beans, corn, and poblano chicken sausage.

6. Hannah C posted October 21, 2009 at 10:23 am

holy cow…that looks amazing!!

7. Liz - Meal Makeover Mom posted October 21, 2009 at 8:56 pm

I’m a huge fan of Delicata squash as well as acorn squash. The recipes looks great … I especially like the addition of kale (it’s oh-so healthy)!

8. Cheffresco posted October 21, 2009 at 9:02 pm

I was just telling Michael last night how we needed to try cooking something w. acorn squash! This looks soo good!

9. mags posted October 22, 2009 at 1:35 am

Geeze… I am such a sucker for “squarsh”… and ground turkey… and Panko. This looks awesome!

10. Lisa posted October 22, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Mmmmn! This looks great! I was in Naples this past weekend and it was a bit chilly in the morning but great weather especially compared to what NJ had.

11. Sarah posted October 23, 2009 at 8:55 am

I love squash in the fall. This is a great recipe that I might make for Thanksgiving dinner. Not only will it look great it will be a tasty addition to our table.

Thanks for sharing your great recipes!

12. carrian posted October 23, 2009 at 11:00 am

sooooo, I knew you had a new address so when it happened I made sure to copy the url out of the header and change it on my list. WOOOPS, I had copied the url out of the address bar without first going to your new site. I feel like I should be 80 doing stupid mistakes like that!! Glad to see you are updating and it was all my silly mistake!!!!

• Aggies Kitchen posted October 23, 2009 at 11:14 am

You may have been doing it right and it wasn’t working…my SIL was having trouble and we finally figured out you had to include the /feed after the URL! Finally figured it out! Enjoy your weekend;)

13. April Marie (Girl Japan) posted October 24, 2009 at 1:11 am

OH Gosh.. this is orgasmic… Acorn squash has DELISH sweet notes… and the stuffing… Impressive….. p.s. No Macy’s here, but I do use an expat service though….. a few times a year….

14. Lindsey posted October 24, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Yum!!! Acorn squash is one of my absolute favorites! Thank you soooo much for posting this recipe!

15. The Duo Dishes posted October 27, 2009 at 1:37 am

This is just the season for so many winter squash. Delicious!

16. Jennifer posted October 28, 2009 at 9:13 am

I can’t wait to try this… I love stuffed acorn squash and I’m yet to find a great recipe.

17. annie posted November 5, 2009 at 11:19 pm

I may try this with Carnival Squash. It looks great!

18. Kenzie posted August 29, 2010 at 1:17 pm

My mom makes stuffed squash all the time and we just adore it! I think she’d really like a new recipe so I’m gonna bring her this one.. considering all the awesome reviews on this one I’m sure it’ll be a hit!
    Kudos
    -Kenzie
    Deep Fryers

19. Amanda posted October 20, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I just made this for dinner and it was delicious! Great recipe! Will definitely be making it again.

20. Cathy posted October 20, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I made this recipe for the first and last time. I’m usually quite pleased with several new and exciting recipes I find on the web..unfortunately this one was not received well by several people the taste of the combination of fennel and poultry seasoning lacted apeal and didn’t come across as an item that would be requested a second time.

1. Pingback: Before October ends… | Market Slices

2. Pingback: A Delicious Indulgent Weekend! « Live to Eat, Love to Cook

3. Pingback: Day 10. Neighbors. Acorn Squash Basil Soup. | reluctantentertainer.com Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

4. Pingback: Roasted Acorn Squash with Smoked Paprika | Aggie's Kitchen