Cooking Light Week – Day One: Turkey Burgers with Peanut Sauce

by Aggies Kitchen on May 18, 2009

Are there any Cooking Light fans out there? Well, you are in store for a treat. My sister in law Jamie and I are hosting a week of Cooking Light recipes this week! Jamie just started her very own food blog this month, Mom’s Cooking Club, and I am so excited for her! She’s been reading my blog since I started it almost a year ago and has been one of my most supportive and avid readers. She loves to cook like I do so we share lots of emails and conversations talking food. What’s extra special about her blog is that her two young twin daughters are going to be helping her in the kitchen, learning along the way!!Go give Jamie a visit over at Mom’s Cooking Cluband say hello!

Now back to the food…Jamie and I are both subscribers and huge fans of Cooking Light. We thought it would be fun to share with you a week full of recipes that we’ve chosen to cook found in magazines, cookbooks and online. Aggie’s Kitchen will feature a CL recipe on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday of this week. You will also find recipes at Mom’s Cooking Club on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.

I came across this recipe in The All-New Complete Cooking Light Cookbook that I checked out from the library. This cookbook is great, it’s huge and has so many tasty looking recipes in it. The original recipe called for chicken, but since I had ground turkey on hand I decided to make the burgers into Turkey Burgers instead. They turned out really juicy and full of great flavor. We are always eating turkey burgers at our house so these were a nice alternative to our classic version. The sauce was delicious too, if you like peanut butter, you will love this!

Turkey Burgers with Peanut Sauce
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light
Sauce:
2 tablespoons peanut butter
2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
1 teaspoon water
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced

Burgers:
1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
1 heaping tablespoon chile paste with garlic
1 tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger
2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
good pinch salt and fresh ground pepper
1 lb ground turkey
Cooking spray
Arnold’s Whole Wheat Sandwich Thins
1 cup alfalfa sprouts

To prepare sauce, combine first 6 ingredients, stirring with a whisk until smooth.

Prepare grill or preheat your grill pan.

To prepare burgers, gently combine onions, chile paste, ginger, soy sauce, salt and ground turkey in a large mixing bowl. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.

Place patties on a grill rack or a preheated grill pan coated with cooking spray. Grill the patties for 4 minutes on each side or until done. Place rolls, cut sides down, on grill rack or grill pan for about 30 second or until lightly toasted and warmed. Place 1 patty on bottom half of each roll; top each serving with 1/4 cup sprouts, about 1 tablespoon sauce, and top half of roll.

Makes 4 burgers.

Cooking Light Week Day 2 recipe can be found Tuesday at Mom’s Cooking Club

Share/Save/Bookmark

Erica May 18, 2009 at 11:31 am

The grill marks on these burgers look awesome. I bet the peanut sauce was such a nice topping (loveeee peanut sauce). I don’t subscribe to cooking light but am on there website weekly looking up recipes. I am very excited to read the rest of this weeks posts!!

HoneyB May 18, 2009 at 11:58 am

This looks so appealing! I love those sandwich thins also. Now that I see your photo, I will definitely want to try this one out. I love CL too!! :o)

Patsyk May 18, 2009 at 12:08 pm

I’m also a long time subscriber to CL! Love their recipes! These burgers look like a nice change from the “usual” burgers that everyone serves this time of year.

Penny May 18, 2009 at 12:41 pm

These burgers look perfect. My husband has given up beef and I have been craving burgers. I love,LOVE the Arnold’s sandwich thins. Bought them last week. Will check out Mom’s Cooking Club. Great idea.

Leslie May 18, 2009 at 1:02 pm

burgers and peanut butter. I bet Elvis would love these!!!

Barbara Bakes May 18, 2009 at 1:15 pm

I love Cooking Light too. This recipe is definitely one I’d like to try. I look forward to the whole week!

Lisa May 18, 2009 at 1:24 pm

I get CL magazine and have a few cookbooks so I will love your week. Going over to check Jamie’s blog.

Maria May 18, 2009 at 2:41 pm

Great photos! I love the sprouts on top too!

Sara May 18, 2009 at 2:51 pm

I would love this burger! Growing up we always had turkey burgers and I’m a huge fan of PB. Looks delish.

Pam May 18, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Wow! These look so delicious Aggie. Love the peanut sauce.

Jen B. May 18, 2009 at 3:16 pm

I love Cooking Light! I can’t wait to see what both you and Jaime have in store for us. Great idea!

Dawn May 18, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Yes please! I would love extra peanut sauce please! Thank YOU

Sara May 18, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Those look really great. And they are the second burgers with PB recipe I have seen today! weird.

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen May 18, 2009 at 4:29 pm

That looks super awesome Aggie! I love all these flavors!!!

Bob May 18, 2009 at 5:11 pm

Mmmmm, turkey burgers. Great job. I want to like Cooking Light, but I have a hard time with magazines that are more ads than what they are about.

thenotsoskinnykitchen May 18, 2009 at 5:41 pm

I’m a huge fan of Cooking Light (and burgers!); these look delicious! I’m not sure how well the peanut butter sauce will be received by the rest of my family, but I’m definitely going to make these soon. Thanks!

Mary May 18, 2009 at 6:33 pm

These look positively delicious. What a great way to split the week. I’m looking forwar to both your recipes. CL is a great magazine.

Debbie May 18, 2009 at 8:57 pm

I love turkey burgers…yours look great and I’d love to try that recipe.

Anonymous May 18, 2009 at 9:28 pm

I don’t think you can go wrong with the chicken or turkey, either way it sounds delicious. I am also always looking for new twists on old favorites. Something I found that I really like is putting some diced up Chipotles Peppers in Adobo Sauce in my burgers. If you like spicy add an extra pepper or more of the adobo.

Amy May 18, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Oooh yummy! This looks fantastic! I love Cooking Light – you can’t beat their recipes in the summertime! Great pictures, too!

-Amy

Stanley Nmesirionye May 18, 2009 at 10:25 pm

Stanley
Hi i tried your recipies and it was great. i can’t beleave that i could cook such a good mail. i wounder how you can up with such a good recipe. the food was awesome. please check out my blogg at stanleynmesirionye.bloggspot.com

Mary Ann May 18, 2009 at 10:27 pm

These look fabulous! I love Cooking Light. I probably use those recipes more than anything else. I have to try these as soon as possible.

Bridgett May 18, 2009 at 10:54 pm

I love this healthy take on the everyday burger. Those grill marks are making me drool!

Carrian May 18, 2009 at 11:00 pm

I have really been wanting to try a turkey burger since I don’t really like hamburgers. I know, what’s wrong with me?!! Haha I have no clue why I don’t like them, but maybe I’ll liek turkey burgers!

fittingbackin May 19, 2009 at 1:03 am

That looks SO good!

Pamela May 19, 2009 at 1:24 am

What a great idea! I’ll have to check out the link to the other blog. I love CL and I have this cookbook. I am pretty sure I’ve seen this recipe, but I know I’ve never tried it. I will have to give it a try soon. Looks so good!

Lynne May 19, 2009 at 1:34 am

I love Cooking Light!! So great that you are doing this, there are way too many delicious recipes and not nearly enough time to try them all.

Kerstin May 19, 2009 at 2:10 am

What a great idea, the burgers look yummy! I keep meaning to subscribe to CL.

Proud Italian Cook May 19, 2009 at 3:16 am

Aggie, I love these burgers!I have to try this, I have 3lbs of ground turkey in my freezer. I just bought those buns too, did you find them at Costco? Thats where I found mine. I love em

Tessa May 19, 2009 at 3:30 am

Yumm I love turkey burgers. My boyfriend’s mom gave me a Cooking Light cookbook for my birthday and I haven’t tried any of the recipes out yet. I think I will now! :)

Donna May 19, 2009 at 12:30 pm

I absolutely love the sound of these. They are so calling my name. Delicious. I looke forward to your week of Cooking Light recipes. Following you.

Maris May 19, 2009 at 2:19 pm

I love cooking light recipes and these look fantastic! I made turkey burgers a few weeks ago and I popped the patties in the freezer for a quick dinner whenever I don’t have time to cook!

Cathy May 19, 2009 at 3:33 pm

I LOVE Cooking Light and can’t wait to read more posts! These turkey burgers look amazing, Aggie!

Jeena May 19, 2009 at 4:26 pm

Gorgeous burgers with peanut sauce yum – and I love alfalfa sprouts.

Your chicken dish was fabulous too!

Melissa @ For the Love of Health May 19, 2009 at 4:49 pm

I adore Cooking Light!! I get daily emails, browse their website, own their cookbooks, and buy the magazine!

Those turkey burgers look amazing!

Great blog!

Digigirl May 22, 2009 at 2:23 pm

I’m a big CL fan as well. They occasionally blow it on a recipe, but not usually and it’s a great way to learn how to cook lighter without sacrificing flavor.

Btw, did you know you can find many (most? all?) of the CL recipes at http://www.MyRecipes.com, in addition to recipes from several other magazines! They have a great search engine so you can find recipes for specific ingredients or occasions. I use it ALL the time!

Girl Japan May 24, 2009 at 12:44 am

I wonder if I can sub chicken– I don’t think I can find Turkey is these parts.. lol

But that looks FAB, oh goodness, you sure have a way of making light cooking look not-so-light– = )

sue September 25, 2009 at 5:33 am
Julia June 16, 2011 at 6:45 pm

You know how we have similar tastebuds? Ya, I’ve been CRAVING a turkey burger with peanut satay for weeks. No joke!!!!! And I bought sandwich thins yesterday. Done deal!