Turkey and Black Bean Burritos
This Turkey and Black Bean Burritos recipe was created for Bush’s Beans.
My kids were introduced to Chipotle burritos within the last year and they are completely hooked – my son in particular. It’s fun to see them order something other than a cheese quesadilla when we are out for Mexican so I’m happy they picked burritos because it’s given me another family meal idea to work with at home (we make a lot of quesadillas and tostadas already).
Now, I don’t feel it necessary to make the burritos as bodacious as the ones at Chipotle (too big for me!), but I do like to add enough to the filling to make it hearty and flavorful. I love stirring in these seasoned Cocina Latina Frijoles Negros Machacados (black refried beans!) to the turkey mixture to add more flavor and “bulk” while still keeping things simple. Normally I would season the turkey meat with taco seasoning, but since the beans are already seasoned well it’s not necessary to add anything else – easy peasy!!
(I love these beans and make these Mini Mexican Stuffed Peppers with them, great appetizer!!)
The best part of making burritos at home, I’ve discovered, is that they make the PERFECT make-ahead dinner on nights my kids have sports practice and we are in and out around dinner time. I prepared the burritos earlier in the day, wrapped them in foil for the fridge and heated them up individually in the toaster oven when it was time to eat. Burritos have become my go-to time saving dinner on Monday nights (what a relief!).
Here are a few more healthy dinner ideas for you.
Here’s how I make them:
I found this video on YouTube for anyone who needs help in the burrito rolling process.
Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner and these would be perfect to add to your fiesta menu! Have a great weekend!Print
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 15-oz can Bush’s Cocina Latina Frijoles Negros Machacados (Black Refried Beans)
- salt and pepper to taste
- squeeze of half a lime (optional)
- 5 – 6 flour tortillas, burrito size
- 2 cups cooked rice (I used brown rice)
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- shredded lettuce
- chopped tomato
- sour cream or Greek yogurt
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add ground turkey and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in 1 can of Bush’s Cocina Latina Black Refried Beans and continue to cook until liquid is reduced, about 3-5 minutes. Squeeze in juice from half a lime during this time (optional).
- Lay out your tortilla on a cutting board and layer rice, turkey and bean mixture and cheese. If you are not serving at this time, roll your burritos by folding over the filling, pulling filling back a bit with the tortilla, then tucking in both sides and continuing to roll. If you are serving immediately, top your filling with lettuce, tomato, salsa and sour cream if you like. (Tip: if adding extra fillings, just tuck in one side of the burrito to allow for extra room!)
For more Mexican inspired recipes check out my Mexican Recipes board on Pinterest:
(Disclosure: This recipe was developed in partnership with Bush’s Beans. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Aggie’s Kitchen possible!)
Are you following me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest? If you’d like to subscribe to Aggie’s Kitchen and have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box, then please add your email here. Happy cooking!
There are affiliate links in this post. I make small earnings through any purchases made through these links. Thank you for supporting Aggie’s Kitchen!