Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Melts
These Barbecue Chicken Melts are a great way to serve slow cooker chicken. Your family will love them!
The last couple of months, I’ve gotten into the habit of using my slow cooker at least once a week. It has truly been a lifesaver! I’ve been mostly making a variation of chicken, with some Slow Cooker Chicken Sausage and Peppers thrown into the rotation a couple of times.
Every time I cook chicken in the crock pot, I really try to make enough leftover to throw on salads for lunches throughout the week. Since I’ve become pregnant, I have found that I can not skimp on protein like I used to. I used to get by with a little bit of hummus, an egg or some beans or even nuts thrown in for protein with most of my meals, but not anymore. I find myself craving/needing to eat chicken all the time. I don’t even really like chicken people. I’m curious if this will continue come fall after the baby’s born.
This Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Melts recipe is nothing genius, just a way to change things up if you are just used to serving shredded bbq chicken as rolls as sandwiches (like we normally do). I personally love open-faced sammies made on English muffins so this was my kind of dinner. My kids, however, have something major against English muffins – it kinda makes me nuts. They don’t like them, and don’t want them – ever. Which tends to put a kink in my plans on those nights where I would love to just make English muffin pizzas for dinner (I always loved those!). They ate one of these melts to humor me, but preferred the chicken on it’s own on the plate, with no additional sauce. Weirdos.
For the barbecue sauce I used a combination of two of our favorites – Rufus Teague Honey Sweet and Stubbs. I served these barbecue chicken melts along a nice big salad full of greens, radishes, baby carrots, avocado and cherry tomato halves, with ranch dressing. Great dinner!
- 2 lbs chicken breast (about 4 -5 breasts)
- 1 1/2 cup barbecue sauce (just enough to cover and coat chicken)
- salt and pepper
- English muffin halves
- shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
- additional barbecue sauce
- Add chicken breasts to your slow cooker and season with salt and pepper. Pour barbecue sauce over chicken, until just covered. Use a fork or tongs to flip chicken so that completely coated. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- When chicken is done, gently shred by pulling apart with 2 forks.
- Preheat broiler.
- Place English muffin halves on a baking sheet under the broiler for a minute or until lightly toasted. Pull out and top each muffin half with shredded chicken, additional barbecue sauce and shredded cheese of choice. Broil for 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve with additional sauce if desired, and a nice salad for a healthy meal!
Need some new light and easy dinner ideas? Check out these 20 Healthy Recipes Using Shredded Chicken!
Looking for a new slow cooker? I love my Crock-Pot with Stove-Top Browning – the stove top browning feature was a total game changer for me!
More ways to make chicken in your crock pot (can not wait to try each one!!):
Slow Cooker Chicken Gyros | Six Sisters Stuff
Crockpot Mexican Chicken | Pinch of Yum
Crockpot Cheesesteak Pulled Chicken | How Sweet Eats
Slow Cooker Chicken Mole | Reluctant Entertainer
Slow Cooker Chicken Curry | The Lemon Bowl
Are you following me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest? If you’d like to subscribe to Aggie’s Kitchen and have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box, then please add your email here. Happy cooking!
There are affiliate links in this post. I make small earnings through any purchases made through these links. Thank you for supporting Aggie’s Kitchen!