Roasted Green Beans with Almonds
Roasted Green Beans with Almonds is a simple side dish that is perfect for holiday entertaining or to serve alongside your favorite weeknight meal.
With Thanksgiving this week, I wanted to share with you some of my go-to vegetable side dishes – these Roasted Green Beans with Almonds is one of them. I have been making this dish for as long as I have been contributing to our family’s Thanksgiving meal. It’s a great, fresh alternative to green bean casserole, if you are looking for something lighter to add to the table.
How do you cook green beans with almonds?
I like to roast my green beans in a 425 degree oven with a little sliced onion or shallot then toss with lemon zest and almonds. You can use sliced almonds or slivered almonds. I typically use sliced almonds but change it up every now and then depending on what I have. This time I used slivered almonds. I like to add my almonds to the green beans and have them toast up in the oven while the green beans are still cooking but you could also pan toast the almonds and use them as a topping for the green beans when they are done cooking.
These green beans are so easy to oven roast, but if you wanted to, you could easily steam them ahead of time and toss with same lemon zest and almond mixture in a skillet to save room in the oven. Don’t forget to squeeze some lemon over the green beans and season well with salt and pepper before serving! The lemon adds even more fresh flavor to the vegetables.
Side dishes for Thanksgiving
These roasted green beans with almonds and lemon round out our Thanksgiving table well. I am a big fan of side dishes on Thanksgiving and my plate is always filled to the rim with all the veggies, stuffing and cranberry sauce. My family’s traditional stuffing is this Italian Stuffing and I always make this fresh Apple-Orange Cranberry sauce every year.
If you need some last minute Thanksgiving side dish inspiration check out this post with 50 Thanksgiving Sides – you will definitely be hungry after browsing through all those recipes!
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped lemon zest
- lemon juice, from half lemon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toss the green beans in a large baking dish with the oil and sliced onion and season well with salt and pepper.
- Roast until just cooked through and slightly browned, about 15 to 18 minutes. Combine the almonds and zest in a small bowl. Sprinkle zest and almonds over green beans and toss. Roast for another 3-5 minutes, careful not to let almonds brown too much.
- Transfer green beans to a platter and squeeze juice from half lemon over green beans. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Keywords: green beans, almonds, lemon
Are you following me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest? If you’d like to subscribe to Aggie’s Kitchen and have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box, then please add your email here. Happy cooking!
There are affiliate links in this post. I make small earnings through any purchases made through these links. Thank you for supporting Aggie’s Kitchen!