Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Melts

by Aggies Kitchen on June 3, 2013

Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Melts | AggiesKitchen.com #chicken #slowcooker #crockpot

The last couple of months, I’ve gotten into the habit of using my slow cooker at least once a week. It has truly been a lifesaver! I’ve been mostly making a variation of chicken, with some Slow Cooker Chicken Sausage and Peppers thrown into the rotation a couple of times.

Every time I cook chicken in the crock pot, I really try to make enough leftover to throw on salads for lunches throughout the week. Since I’ve become pregnant, I have found that I can not skimp on protein like I used to. I used to get by with a little bit of hummus, an egg or some beans or even nuts thrown in for protein with most of my meals, but not anymore. I find myself craving/needing to eat chicken all the time. I don’t even really like chicken people. I’m curious if this will continue come fall after the baby’s born.

This Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Melt recipe is nothing genius, just a way to change things up if you are just used to serving shredded bbq chicken as rolls as sandwiches (like we normally do). I personally love open-faced sammies made on English muffins so this was my kind of dinner. My kids, however, have something major against English muffins – it kinda makes me nuts. They don’t like them, and don’t want them – ever. Which tends to put a kink in my plans on those nights where I would love to just make English muffin pizzas for dinner (I always loved those!). They ate one of these melts to humor me, but preferred the chicken on it’s own on the plate, with no additional sauce. Weirdos.

For the barbecue sauce I used a combination of two of our favorites – Rufus Teague Honey Sweet and Stubbs. I served the melts along a nice big salad full of greens, radishes, baby carrots, avocado and cherry tomato halves, with ranch dressing. Great dinner.

Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Melts

Shredded chicken cooked in the slow cooker is always a great standby dinner during the week. Change things up by serving open-faced and cooked under broiler with extra sauce and cheese.

Ingredients

• 2 lbs chicken breast (about 4 -5 breasts)
  • 1 1/2 cup barbecue sauce (just enough to cover and coat chicken)
  • salt and pepper
  • For serving:
  • English muffin halves
  • shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
  • additional barbecue sauce

Instructions

1. Add chicken breasts to your slow cooker and season with salt and pepper. Pour barbecue sauce over chicken, until just covered. Use a fork or tongs to flip chicken so that completely coated. Cook on low for 6 hours.
  2. When chicken is done, gently shred by pulling apart with 2 forks.
  3. Preheat broiler.
  4. Place English muffin halves on a baking sheet under the broiler for a minute or until lightly toasted. Pull out and top each muffin half with shredded chicken, additional barbecue sauce and shredded cheese of choice. Broil for 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
  5. Serve with additional sauce if desired, and a nice salad for a healthy meal!

More ways to make chicken in your crock pot (can not wait to try each one!!):

Slow Cooker Island BBQ Chicken

Slow Cooker Chicken Gyros | Six Sisters Stuff

Crockpot Mexican Chicken | Pinch of Yum

Crock Pot Balsamic Chicken with Pears and Portobella Mushrooms | Laa Loosh

Crockpot Cheesesteak Pulled Chicken | How Sweet Eats

Slow Cooker Chicken Mole | Reluctant Entertainer

Slow Cooker Chicken Curry | The Lemon Bowl

Ali | Gimme Some Oven June 3, 2013 at 9:15 am

I love using my slow cooker any chance I get too! These look so wonderful, and perfect to serve to a crowd during bbq season. Delicious!!

Tieghan June 3, 2013 at 9:20 am

Mmm! These look so good and my family would love them! Yay for summer BBQ!

Amy @ The Nifty Foodie June 3, 2013 at 9:21 am

I love this idea. Since it’s so hot outside, I prefer to escape the heat and cook inside. (my husband is a different story) This is such a great idea for summer!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl June 3, 2013 at 10:17 am

I love the simplicity of this recipe!!! I’m loving my crockpot this pregnancy/summer!!

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite June 3, 2013 at 10:18 am

Slow cookers are great just because they do all the work. Love this recipe.

Angie June 3, 2013 at 10:23 am

This BBQ chicken looks so good, I can’t wait to try it!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen June 3, 2013 at 10:26 am

The slow cooker saves me so much time in the summer and I LOVE these chicken melts.

Paula - bell'alimento June 3, 2013 at 10:28 am

I’ve been on a chicken kick lately. This sounds great!

Tracey June 3, 2013 at 11:24 am

I love using the slow cooker this time of year! This is a great way to enjoy bbq this summer without having to turn on the oven or the grill!

Erica June 3, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I just made almost the same thing last night! Josh was going over to a friends house tonight after work, so I prepped ahead the chicken so they could make chicken sandwiches! Gotta love multipurpose meat :)

Becky @ So Very Blessed June 3, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Oh yum! These are right up my alley! Love that you used the slow cooker to make the chicken. I’m trying everything I can to avoid heating up the house in these 100 degree temperatures in Arizona!

Bev @ Bev Cooks June 3, 2013 at 6:38 pm

So on board with this it’s not even funny.

bellini June 3, 2013 at 8:17 pm

I do love tuna melts so these are even better Aggie.

Julia June 3, 2013 at 8:47 pm

These look delicious! My husband loves BBQ so this would be right up his alley. I love the english muffins–great idea.

Julie @ Table for Two June 3, 2013 at 9:30 pm

This is a fabulous idea and I looove the melted cheese over the bbq chicken!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles June 3, 2013 at 9:39 pm

You remind me so often to keep it simple. And I love it. My family would love this meal!

Sandy@ReluctantEntertainer June 4, 2013 at 10:03 am

Aggie, I love your slow cooker ideas. I’ve made several of yours and they are so yummy! THanks for the link-love today, too!

Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen June 4, 2013 at 12:03 pm

This is absolutely the type of thing I need for work days. I’m very fond of my slow cooker too! I can think of so many uses for this yummy BBQ chicken.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel June 4, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Love it!! I’m such a barbecue girl and obviously a huge fan of slow cookers :)

addie | culicurious June 4, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Yum, this looks great, Aggie! :) I’ve been craving a little more protein lately. But not for the reason you do! ;)

Kim | Making 40 Fantastic June 4, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I’m SO in need of a menu plan….. so where else would I start but here? ;) GREAT idea to use the crockpot in the summer. Definitely making these soon. Love that it’s super easy, yet dinner at home {instead of the pizza delivery I keep on speed dial}.

Christina June 9, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I also found myself craving protein when I became pregnant. I wanted either refried beans or beef. I developed an aversion to chicken for some reason. After having the baby, things mostly returned to normal. You have to double your blood volume – not to mention grow a baby – so your body definitely needs more protein.

Nutmeg Nanny June 9, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Oh, I love using my slow cooker :) this looks fabulous!

Terri/LoveandConfections June 26, 2013 at 7:02 pm

I love using my slow cooker – makes dinner so much easier!

Liz August 9, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Very nice and easy recipe. Thank you so much.