RSS     Pinterest     Google+     Facebook     Twitter     Instagram     Instagram

Chinese 5-Spice Turkey Lettuce Wraps

by Aggies Kitchen on January 11, 2012

Pin It

Note to self: make lettuce wraps more often at home.

Seriously people, don’t you just love lettuce wraps? Why do I always forget about them?? I’m obsessed with the ones at PF Changs (the vegetarian tofu ones are awesome for first-time tofu tasting!) and have had the copykat recipe bookmarked for them for years, but never got around to it.

Well, these probably aren’t as good as theirs, but they are still good. And they are low carb, and diet friendly. And you just feel good after eating them.

Here are the cast of characters that made these lettuce wraps possible…

I like to keep the Asian section of my pantry and fridge stocked up for meals like this. For this recipe I cooked with lean ground turkey breast, and if you’ve cooked with lean ground turkey breast then you know that it can be kinda…well, kinda plain.

Chinese five-spice powder is still new to me and I really like it (I’ve made it on this fish before and it was awesome). It’s interesting…and unique. I sprinkled it over the turkey breast while it was browning with some onions and carrots. Nakano rice vinegar is pretty much a staple whenever I’m cooking up Asian because it just adds so much flavor and brightens things up without any calories, fat, etc etc. I combined the rice vinegar, tamari, black bean sauce and agave into a sauce mixture and added it to the meat toward the end of cooking to develop and finish off the filling.

My entire family loved these. This is the only time my son eats lettuce, the excitement he has over lettuce wraps is mind boggling since he is so anti-salad. If that’s not a reason for making them more often I don’t know what is.

The recipe for Chinese 5-Spice Turkey Lettuce Wraps are over on Family Kitchen today…go check them out!

Hope you’re having a great week!

For more ideas on how to use Nakano rice vinegars to splash on flavor (without the calories) to your meals visit Nakano on Facebook.

(Disclosure: I have a working relationship with and received products and compensation from Nakano, but my opinions are always my own. I developed this recipe using their product, but Nakano is a product you would already find in my home.)

Bev Weidner January 11, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Lettuce wraps make me do the limp-armed rubber chicken. In other words, MOOOOOOOM IIIIII WAAAAAAAAAANNNNTTTTTTTT IIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTT.

Heidi @ Food Doodles January 11, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I DO love lettuce wraps! I always forget about them, but everyone in my house loves them. I need to make them waaaaay more often. Yours look delicious!

Heather @ Heather's Dish January 11, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I’ve never used five spice because I’m a scaredy cat but I’m goin to have to change that. Lettuce wraps are where it’s at!

Renee January 11, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Lettuce wraps with TURKEY – finally!!! I am so making these soon. Nom.

Melissa @ Love Bug Living January 11, 2012 at 4:54 pm

These look so good! Definitely going to have to make these, especially since the hubby has a lot of lettuce growing in the garden!

Cookin' Canuck January 11, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I adore lettuce wraps, too and really need to give myself the reminder to make them more often. Your version sounds wonderful and I’ll bet they rival P.F. Chang’s any day of the week.

Erica January 11, 2012 at 6:15 pm

They look great! I made a similar recipe once and was a little let down. I’m not a fan of something in the five spice powder…. bah!

sunithi January 11, 2012 at 7:36 pm

These look super delish and healthy too . My kids love spring rolls and I think this might be a healthier option ! Love the pics. Will definately try this out :) Thanks for sharing !

Cassie January 11, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Lettuce wraps = winner. Love this mix of flavors!

Lora @cakeduchess January 11, 2012 at 9:31 pm

You remind me how delicious lettuce wraps can be and these look fantastic:)

Tenille @ My Family Table January 11, 2012 at 10:06 pm

I have fond memories of my Mum making sang choy bow for us as kids, your recipe reminds me of that. They look just beautiful.

Living The Sweet Life January 11, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I love lettuce wraps too!! They’re so fresh and delicious – - I’m going to have to give these a try :)

JulieD January 12, 2012 at 12:24 am

These look amazing!! We love chicken wraps, I wonder if I can convince Curtis to try turkey! Thank you!

Deborah January 12, 2012 at 12:36 am

I am the same way – I love lettuce wraps but always forget about them. These look fantastic!!

angela@spinachtiger January 12, 2012 at 7:27 am

I am like everyone else. I forget about making lettuce wraps. I saw lettuce wraps tacos yesterday and now these. Pinning.

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch January 12, 2012 at 9:06 am

I want, I want, I want!!! I think I may have these for our supper tonight! Gorgeous!

Culinary Cache January 12, 2012 at 11:23 am

These look amazing, and I love that you used turkey! Excellent post!!

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids January 12, 2012 at 5:10 pm

We love lettuce wraps, too. And, I am definitely trying these. They look fantastic!

Alyssa @ Everyday Maven January 13, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Yum! l love lettuce wraps! These look delicious :)

Angelina January 14, 2012 at 8:03 am

I made these last night and they were delicious, definitely getting a “keeper” tag in my Evernote recipe box, per my husband’s recommendation.

I wanted to thank you for inspiring me to start the 17-day diet. I was reading about nutrition on Zite on New Year’s Eve when your blog popped up. I was intrigued by the cleansing aspect of the diet after a fantastically filling holiday. Also, your recipes helped to make me excited about a lean protein and veggie diet, because it showed me the tasty possibilities. So far, my family has eaten four of your recipes over the last 13 days and enjoyed every single one of them. And, by day 13, I’ve lost nine pounds! So thank you so much.

Beth January 14, 2012 at 10:27 am

Yum! We had lettuce wraps as part of our Christmas Day appetizer extravaganza, and everyone loved them. I have a huge arsenal of Asian condiments in my pantry, and these are a great way to mix and match them. Thanks for reminding me to make them again!

Shelby January 15, 2012 at 5:55 am

I just had the chicken satay lettuce tacos at Cheesecake Factory last weekend and have thought about them a lot ever since – so much so I found the copycat recipe online. I loved the sauces that came with them – they are pretty much what made them so yummy!

Dmarie January 15, 2012 at 4:48 pm

ooh, those look delish. thanks for the links too!

Denise @ Creative Kitchen January 16, 2012 at 12:17 am

Aggie…I love lettuce wraps too! Since starting my low carb new year kick off 8 days ago, I’ve been eating them for many of my meals. I’ve had steak lettuce wraps and paprika chicken lettuce wraps (a couple days each). I love how filling and satisfying they are without being over the top!

I also have the 5 spice powder but didn’t know what to use it on, or how to cook with it. Like you I use a lot of the Nakano rice vinegar. LOVE it!!

I’m happy to report I’m already down 3 lbs and feeling so much better already. Isn’t it amazing how eating right fuels our body so well?

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray January 17, 2012 at 9:37 am

Yum! I love lettuce wraps. These look delish!

Magic of Spice January 18, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Lettuce wraps are wonderful and such a versatile vessel…these are fantastic!

Tickled Red January 20, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I just love lettuce wraps, and you’re so right. Why don’t I make them more often?! This recipe is going on my must make this week list :D

Eliana January 24, 2012 at 11:21 am

Super delicious and super healthy – love these!

Bams Kitchen February 7, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Love the flavor combination of this healthy lettuce wrap. I know that asian cooking has always a compliment of sugar, salty, sour, etc and living here in HK use it frequently. However, I have not used organic blue agave but think I should give it a try. Can you taste the differences in your dishes when you use it?

Aggies Kitchen February 8, 2012 at 7:28 am

I’ve been using the agave nectar for many years, so I don’t notice a specific ‘taste’…for me it just adds sweetness. You can easily substitute honey or sugar (or your sweetener of choice!) for it. Enjoy!