Spinach, Strawberry and Walnut Salad with Raspberry Balsamic Vinaigrette

Let me introduce you to my salad of the week.

It’s actually been my salad for the last couple of months. I discovered a close version to this salad on my friend Tina’s site after she suggested to me and I have craved it oh so often ever since.

I know salads like this have been floating around for awhile so it’s not the most original recipe. But what I want you to do is look at it more from a nutritional stand point than just as a salad plate. I always seem to fall back on this salad when I’m trying to really lighten up a meal without missing out on flavor and a nutritional boost. I felt like eating this on it’s own tonight, but it would be perfect with some grilled shrimp, chicken or fish.

So when I say look at this plate of goodness from more of a nutritional standpoint this is what I mean. I don’t always feel like eating a salad. For some reason making at a salad at home is the last thing I want to do. I love eating them out, but at home, eh, too much work maybe? Silly, I know. But when you see how good for you a plate like this is, you can’t help but start to crave it. Well, at least that’s how I work.

So here’s what’s good about it:

Spinach (source: Livestrong.com)

• low calorie
  • one cup contains more than daily requirements of vitamin K, vitamin A
  • high in manganese, folate and magnesium
  • excellent source of dietary fiber, calcium and protein
  • contains cancer fighting antioxidants
  • is known to promote cardiovascular health with high levels of magnesium that can lower high blood pressure levels

Strawberries (source: Livestrong.com)

• rich source of vitamins such as vitamin A, B-complex, C and E
  • reduces inflammation in the body
  • has higher levels of vitamin C than oranges
  • powerful antioxidant
  • healthy dose of dietary fiber that aids in reducing bad cholesterol

Walnuts (source: BBC News)

• highest level of antioxidant than any other nut
  • great source of protein and omega-3

See what I mean?

Spinach, Strawberry and Walnut Salad with Raspberry Balsamic Vinaigrette

Recipe from Aggie’s Kitchen, inspired and adapted from Mommy’s Kitchen

Serves One

2 cups (handfuls) of fresh spinach
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
8 walnut halves, rough chopped
1 oz crumbled gorgonzola (about a 1/4 of plastic container)
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced

Layer each ingredient on a large salad plate. Serve with Raspberry Balsamic Vinaigrette

Raspberry Balsamic Vinaigrette

Serves about 2-3

1/3 cup raspberry balsamic vinegar
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
pinch onion powder
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon Simply Fruit strawberry preserves
1 teaspoons Grey Poupon Honey Dijon

Combine ingredients in a jar or tightly sealed container. Shake vigorously until well combined.

29 Responses to “Spinach, Strawberry and Walnut Salad with Raspberry Balsamic Vinaigrette”

1. Erica posted May 24, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I ALMOST bought strawberries today too! This looks fantastic. Makes me want soft cheeses so bad ;) That will definitely be my first post-baby eat! And how perfect is this for the warm weather? Love it!

2. Jersey Girl Cooks posted May 24, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Yummy salad and beautiful pictures!

3. Raquel.Erecipe posted May 24, 2011 at 11:25 pm

I love strawberries it has a lot of vitamins c and an antioxidant, the wall nut has omega 3 fatty acids. spinach promotes good eyesight, strengthens muscles, prevention of age-related macula degeneration… I definitely like this salad =)
    p.s. you had a great picture

4. Amy posted May 25, 2011 at 7:34 am

Looks really lovely and good. I love a filling, satisfying, and healthy salad. I recently made a similar salad that we enjoyed a lot: http://savorymomentsblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/spinach-strawberry-and-feta-salad.html

5. Maris (In Good Taste) posted May 25, 2011 at 8:27 am

You now have me craving this salad also! How could something so delicious be so healthy!!! I call that a win-win!

• Aggies Kitchen posted May 26, 2011 at 5:07 pm

it’s most definitely a win win! Had this for dinner two nights in a row… :)

6. Caneel posted May 25, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I wish I had some of this right now, Aggie! So yummy!

7. Melissa posted May 25, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Mmm spinach. Considering its health benefits, I’ve always felt lucky that I love it so much. And this salad IS spectacular. I don’t make it nearly as often as I should. I should do it for a lunch or two while strawberries are at the end of their season.

8. Anna posted May 25, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I eat a salad similar to this almost every day! Delicious! I also reeeeally love spinach and walnuts with a vinaigrette and cranberry goat cheese – from costco of all places. Super tasty! P.S. Is it strawberry or raspberry preserves you put in the dressing?

• Aggies Kitchen posted May 26, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I have to find that cranberry goat cheese! I bet its delicious!

I actually put strawberry preserves in the dressing, because it’s what I had in fridge. :)

9. muppy posted May 25, 2011 at 8:43 pm

looks so good, i’m keen to try one of these strawberry salads too :)

10. Tina posted May 26, 2011 at 7:10 am

That looks so wonderful Aggie. I bet the gorgonzola cheese is so good on that salad.

• Aggies Kitchen posted May 26, 2011 at 5:09 pm

such a great salad Tina, so many ways to change it up! Thanks for the inspiration! Can’t wait to see you in a couple months!

11. Beth @ DiningAndDishing posted May 26, 2011 at 8:42 am

Found your blog through ELR – I had to comment and tell you I LOVE your foodie philosophy! Simple and to the point :). I try to follow the same!

• Aggies Kitchen posted May 26, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Thank you so much for coming over! Simple and to the point it is isn’t it…and can be interpreted in different ways depending on the mood too right? ;)

12. fittingbackin posted May 26, 2011 at 6:15 pm

I’ve still never tried fruit in a salad! It looks great though!

13. vanillasugarblog posted May 26, 2011 at 7:46 pm

oh aggie did you know that strawberries are high in iodine too?
    i didn’t.
    you know i had some strawberries, in a salad with some blue cheese crumbles. it was good, i thought it would be gross.
    nope.
    you have some good recipes here, i’ve missed a lot.

14. bellini posted May 26, 2011 at 9:21 pm

This is definietly one of my favourite seasonal salads Aggie!!!

15. Liz posted May 26, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Spinach and strawberries were meant to be in a salad together! Great photo!

16. Kim {Recipes To Run On} posted May 26, 2011 at 11:34 pm

It’s funny that you said you like to order salads out, but not so much at home to make them. ME TOO. But you are so right about the nutritional value. And in the summer? Nothing better! I can’t wait to make this…. and top it as you said with some grilled chicken for the perfect summer dinner.

17. Lisa Dearen posted May 29, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Strawberries with spinach is one of my favorite summer salads, too! I love that you’re looking at it from a nutritional standpoint … strawberries sometimes don’t get the love they deserve. I’m going to try making fruit leather with them before summer’s over – one of our “Summer Camp” projects this year!

18. bhealthy posted June 8, 2011 at 10:01 am

I really like that you did not include spinach being a source of iron! everyone assumes its a great source , ya know, popeye the sailor man and whatever. It isn’t a good source, it does contain it though there are way too many sources that are better!

the salad looks fantastic!

19. Denise @ Creative Kitchen posted June 13, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Aggie!!

I LOVE this salad!! Every single ingredient except gorgonzola…but with so many other cheeses…it’s an easy fix. Goat cheese? Brie? Fresh Mozzarella? sooo many options! :)

I’ve been eating a ton of salads too…just posted one today actually. It’s a chili lime chicken romaine salad. But you’ve got me craving this one now…so I must get to the store and get some spinach soon!!

Hope you’re doing well!!

20. ea-the spicy rd posted May 1, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Fabulous! I’ve been craving a lot of salads lately, and, of course, gorging on lots and lots of strawberries, so this looks like a perfect combination!

21. Heather Jones posted May 3, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Hi Aggie,

Can you please contact me to discuss using this wonderful recipe on our website? We make delicious candied walnuts and are always looking for new ways to use them. Please contact me via email to chat further. — Heather Jones, Dir. of PR & Marketing, Santé Nuts

22. Sheila posted July 4, 2013 at 12:12 am

I make this salad and love it, but I have added blueberries,and kiwi it great!!

1. Pingback: Spinach, Strawberry and Walnut Salad with Raspberry Balsamic Vinaigrette | Aggie's Kitchen

2. Pingback: Featured Food: Week Two (6/24-6/30)- Comarosa Strawberry « UWW NuGenesis Research Project

3. Pingback: Strawberry Mojito Slushies | the little kitchen