Fish Oreganata

by Aggies Kitchen on April 1, 2010

IMG_0262

For those of you looking for a fish recipe for Good Friday, this is it.  This was delicious, and seriously so easy.  You probably have most of the ingredients already, just go out and get yourself some fresh fish (of course frozen is okay too) and make this for dinner.  I served it alongside some roasted broccoli.  I had to talk my kids into trying it, but once they did I didn’t have to say another word.  They were rewarded with an “I tried something new!” sticker (good ole Hello Kitty and Spiderman)…an idea I stole from Jamie Oliver’s new show.

Brilliant!

IMG_0253

I originally found this recipe on my friend Patsy’s blog a long time ago and have been wanting to try it for a while now.  I changed things up a bit by using panko instead of regular breadcrumbs and since I love garlic and lemon so much it was only natural for me to throw in a few extra cloves and some lemon zest.  The fresh parsley brightens it all up so if you have it use it!  (by the way…fresh Italian parsley is easy to grow and is great in so many dishes, put a pot on your counter and keep picking at it, it will pay you back with lots more and it looks and smells pretty too!)

Enjoy!  And don’t forget…you have till Saturday night to enter in my Chili Cookoff Contest!  All you have to do is leave a comment with a link to your favorite chili recipe and you will be entered into a random drawing to win a gift basket from Bush’s Beans.

Happy Easter and Passover!

IMG_0272

Fish Oreganata

adapted from Weight Watchers Make it in Minutes, discovered on Family, Friends and Food blog

(Printable Recipe)

1 lb mild white fish (I used haddock, but flounder, tilapia or any other white fish can be used)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup panko (Italian seasoned breadcrumbs will also work)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
zest from one large lemon
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3-4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

Directions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with foil and then spray with non-stick spray.

Place the fillets on the baking sheet. Combine remaining ingredients (EVOO through oregano) in a bowl. Press the bread crumb mixture into the fish fillets making sure they are covered. Bake until the fish is just opaque in the center, about 10 minutes.

4 servings – 6 WW Points Plus

HoneyB April 1, 2010 at 8:29 am

This looks great Aggie!

patsy April 1, 2010 at 8:34 am

So, happy you loved it!! One of our favorites. I think using panko is a perfect way to improve on this one, and will be making that change next time I make it as well. Yummmy!

Erica April 1, 2010 at 9:17 am

Book marking- Josh would love this! Your healthy and delicious recipes always make me smile! Hope you guys have a great Easter

Jenn April 1, 2010 at 9:25 am

I Love this dish.. I actually have it on my menu plan for next week! Yours looks absolutely delicious!

Bridgett April 1, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Wow, this is a gorgeous looking dish full of flavor. I definitely want to give this a go and I adore roasted broccoli. I am so jealous your kids are young enough to be pleased with a sticker! My son would probably ask for $5.
Are you loving the Jamie Revolution as I am?

Maria April 1, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Roasted broccoli is the perfect size! 2 helpings for me please:)

bellini valli April 1, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I love the sticker idea, maybe it will work for grandchildren….when I have them some day:D

pegasuslegend April 1, 2010 at 3:55 pm

This is so healthy and looks fabulous!!!! love this simply beautiful buon pasqua

To Kiss the Cook April 1, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Aggie, that looks intensely delicious. The crust makes it look rich but the recipe hardly calls for any fat per serving and even then it’s olive oil. Can’t wait to try this!

Krista April 1, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Wow, this looks so healthy and delicious! Definitely a bookmark for sure :)

Kerstin April 2, 2010 at 10:23 pm

What a lovely way to serve fish. The crispy panko and tang of the lemon sounds perfect!

Mama in Suburbia April 3, 2010 at 12:17 am

This looks good!! Always looking for a good fish recipe, and this looks easy too. Thanks!

teresa April 3, 2010 at 12:22 pm

this is just beautiful! well done!

Jamie April 3, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Thanks for sharing another great fish recipe. You know how I’m always looking for new seafood recipes. The fish looks so light and delicious. I love the sticker idea for the kids. I’m loving the Jamie Oliver Food Revolution show. The girls are watching it with me every Friday. Have a wonderful Easter!

pegasuslegend April 4, 2010 at 1:36 pm

just a quick note to say I tried this last night fabulous~~ I used haddock! Had to add hot pepper flakes since we love the heat! thanks for this great recipe its wonderful!

Pam April 5, 2010 at 11:38 am

I really need to cook more fish – this dish looks healthy, flavorful and delicious.

Heather @ Side of Sneakers April 5, 2010 at 4:54 pm

This fish looks amazing!!!! And I love roasted veggies :)

Maris (In Good Taste) April 6, 2010 at 12:23 am

Sounds fantastic! I just started South Beach so I might adapt it to be lower-carb. Always looking for good fish recipes!

Diana Merrell April 9, 2010 at 12:08 am

What a great dish! The flavors sound amazing!!

Karen April 15, 2010 at 8:33 am

This dish looks great, I just wanted to also suggest using some green onion, or spring onion, scallion, whatever they are called with the fish, I have found it really adds a great flavor to fish, I usually just saute mine in olive oil with the chopped spring onion and some seasonings at it is really good, and not too heavy on the onion flavor, try it you will see it really is good

Duchess of Fork June 24, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Just made this tonight, Aggie, and it was great! I used whole wheat panko. The topping would be great on shrimp, too. :)