Cilantro Lime Vegetables
These simply sautéed Cilantro Lime Vegetables are a perfect side dish to any weeknight meal. If you have summer squash and zucchini around, this is a must-make!
Remember how I mentioned I got a second dinner out of the pork I cooked for Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Pork Tostadas that included brown rice and vegetables? Well, these Sautéed Cilantro Lime Vegetables are the veggies that landed onto that dinner plate.
This vegetable medley of zucchini, yellow squash and red onion is the perfect side dish for so many meals from simple oven baked black bean and cheese quesadillas to Mexican baked pasta (both go-to dinners in my house). One of my favorite ways to cook veggies is by sautéing them over medium high heat with a tiny bit of oil and finishing them off with a squeeze of lemon or lime and fresh herbs.
Super quick and easy – not to mention, healthy and delicious. This is how to get your family to eat their vegetables!
Fresh herbs, whether you grow them yourself or you pick them up at the store, really add another level of fresh flavor to your cooking. These days all I’m managing is a small container herb garden that I have strategically place outside a door that is near my kitchen. Easy access! I’ve never had good luck growing cilantro so I’ve stuck with it’s prickly cousin culantro (pictured above) over the years. It’s a little more potent and much easier to grow. If you can find it grab it and plant it, it is really hard to kill and handles “weather” well (of course, my weather in Florida does not compare to all weather, this I know 🙂 )
With school back in I’m counting on easy side dishes like this one to round out our meals. I’m hoping you are too – enjoy!Print
- 1 tablespoon oil (I like to use grapeseed oil for sauteeing vegetables)
- 2 large zucchini, cut longways then in half moons
- 2 yellow squash, cut longways then in half moons
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- 2–3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped (optional)
- juice of one lime
- a palmful of chopped cilantro (or culantro)
- coarse salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add sliced zucchini, squash and jalapeno (if using) to pan and gently toss. Let cook for about 3-5 minutes, tossing every now and then to ensure even cooking.
- Once vegetables are lightly browned and softened, turn off heat. Toss vegetables with lime juice and cilantro, season with salt and pepper.
Keywords: zucchini, squash, cilantro, lime, side dish
Are you following me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest? If you’d like to subscribe to Aggie’s Kitchen and have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box, then please add your email here. Happy cooking!
There are affiliate links in this post. I make small earnings through any purchases made through these links. Thank you for supporting Aggie’s Kitchen!