Mexican Pasta Bake
A twist on classic Italian baked ziti, this Mexican Pasta Bake is a great weeknight meal your family will love! Whole grain pasta, lean ground turkey & veggies makes this a light option for pasta lovers.
This Mexican Baked Pasta is a recipe is I started making a few years ago while I was following the South Beach Diet. I was inspired by a recipe that was shared on a South Beach Diet forum on the website iVillage and originally posted it here on the blog back in 2008. Since then, I’ve updated the recipe a bit by using ground turkey this time around and of course by taking new photos. 🙂
It’s such a great recipe and I felt like it deserved a little attention in 2014.
This pasta is a great twist on the classic Italian baked ziti. It’s easy to throw together and if your family loves the flavors and ingredients of Mexican food, then they will love this pasta. I use whole wheat pasta, lean ground turkey and black beans for lots of protein and fiber, then add in some veggies, salsa and a little cheese. I’ve made it several times using regular black beans, but this last time I experimented and added a can of Bush’s new Black Chili Beans for even more flavor – it was delicious!
After seeing this delicious looking Crock Pot Baked Ziti, I really want to try making this Mexican Pasta Bake in the slow cooker. Baked ziti in the crock pot is a game changer!
Mexican Baked Pasta
Yield: 6 servings
- 1/2 13 oz of whole wheat penne
- 1 lb of lean ground turkey
- 1 TB olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- pinch salt and pepper
- 24 oz jar of salsa (I used Pace chunky mild)
- 1 can Bush's Black Beans, drained and rinsed (or Bush's new Black Chili Beans)
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring pot of water to boil for pasta, cook according to directions.
- In large heated non stick skillet, add oil, garlic, peppers and onions. Saute until softened, about 10 minutes. Add ground turkey and brown. Add spices, salt and pepper. Add to a large bowl with black beans, salsa and pasta. Toss to combine.
- Pour half of pasta mixture into casserole dish. Spread 1 cup of shredded cheese over pasta. Add rest of pasta over cheese and top with remaining cheese. Place in oven and cook for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is golden.
Nutritional Information via My Fitness Pal: 450 calories / 18g fat / 10g dietary fiber / 49g carbohydrate / 29g protein
Follow AggiesKitchen on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from the blog! Use the hashtag #aggieskitchen - I'd love to see what you are cooking up!
More healthy baked dishes perfect for weeknights for you to try:
Healthy Stuffed Pepper Casserole | Rachel Cooks
Greek Turkey, Rice and Feta Casserole | Cookin’ Canuck
Healthy Chicken Pot Pie | Well Plated
Hope you have a Happy Halloween!!
(Disclosure: Although I do have a working relationship with Bush’s Beans, this post is not sponsored by them. I just used their beans in my recipe!)
Are you following me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest? If you’d like to subscribe to Aggie’s Kitchen and have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box, then please add your email here. Happy cooking!
There are affiliate links in this post. I make small earnings through any purchases made through these links. Thank you for supporting Aggie’s Kitchen!