Guinness Braised Brisket Sandwiches
I scoured the internet searching for a recipe…I had a brisket in the freezer that needed to be cooked, and the thought of a meal in the crock pot sounded perfect. I found this recipe for Guinness Braised Brisket here on Recipezaar, and with a few changes, turned it into our St. Patty’s Day dinner.
I decided to serve the sliced brisket open faced, on rye bread and broiled with Kerrygold Irish Swiss Cheese (Irish swiss cheese?), and with a side bowl of the “Guinness gravy”. My nephew and his girlfriend were over that night to have dinner and watch basketball and everyone thought this was just great. We will definitely make this again…maybe next time with pot roast or another cut of beef.
Slow Cooker Guinness Braised Brisket Sandwiches
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup Guinness stout
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 TB dried thyme
- 1 can beef broth (low sodium)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 lbs beef brisket
- sliced rye bread, for serving
- slices of swiss cheese, for serving
- Put all in ingredients into crock pot. Cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4-5 hours. Before serving, slice brisket across the grain and place slices back into crock pot until ready to serve.
- To serve, line baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place rye bread slices on baking sheet, top each piece of bread with brisket and vegetables, top each with slice of cheese and place under the broiler until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve open faced with side of Guinness gravy.
Recipe adapted from Recipezaar
Are you following me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest? If you’d like to subscribe to Aggie’s Kitchen and have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box, then please add your email here. Happy cooking!
There are affiliate links in this post. I make small earnings through any purchases made through these links. Thank you for supporting Aggie’s Kitchen!