Chicken and Summer Squash Fajitas with Black Beans
I’m all about easy dinners right now. Ok, let’s be real, I’m always about easy dinners. Summer is so hit or miss with dinner, meaning…most days we are running around doing fun summer stuff or even just being lazy around the house. No matter what type of day it is, if I’m not semi-prepared with at least a plan by the time dinnertime rolls around my mom brain is pretty much fried and not able to pull anything more than a sandwich together (of course, there’s always the take out option too). To avoid sandwiches and take out I’m trying hard to get a few standby dinners in rotation based on ingredients I regularly have on hand in the summer. Let me introduce you to my latest easy go-to dinner…chicken and summer squash fajitas.
I picked up the cutest pattypan squash at the farmer’s market the other day (I wish I took a picture). If you’ve never seen pattypan squash they basically look like little flying saucers. Adorable I tell you! Since my kids aren’t huge fans of peppers, to avoid any dinnertime battles I decided to use squash in our fajitas instead. They turned out to be a huge hit! Don’t worry, you can make these fajitas with any summer squash you have on hand.
Hope everyone is having a great summer so far!Print
- 1.5 – 1.75 lb chicken breast, cut into strips
- 3 tablespoon your favorite fajita or taco seasoning (you can try making your own like this fajita seasoning from Rachel Cooks or this taco seasoning from The Little Kitchen)
- juice from 1 lime
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 5–6 pattypan squash, sliced into half moons (3–4 of the larger varieties of squash, sliced the same way)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- corn tortillas (warmed in a dry skillet)
- Bush’s Black Beans (warmed on stovetop)
- shredded or crumbled cheese (jack, cheddar, cojita)
- fresh lime
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- diced avocado
- Place your chicken breast strips into a large ziplock bag or bowl. Add fajita or taco seasoning and lime and coat well.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Carefully place chicken into skillet (cook in batches if necessary to avoid crowding the pan) for 6 -7 minutes, tossing until browned on all sides and cooked through. Continue to cook entire batch of chicken. Place chicken on a plate and set aside.
- Add squash and onion to pan. Quickly saute over medium high heat for 4-5 minutes until vegetables are cooked through. Add chicken back into the pan for a minute or two and toss with vegetables to warm through. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust.
- Serve in warm corn tortillas with toppings of choice.
More awesome fajita recipes:
Steak and Bean Fajitas | Dine and Dish
Chicken Fajitas | The Little Kitchen
Shrimp Fajitas | Skinnytaste
Grilled Vegetable and Chicken Fajitas | Fake Ginger
Are you following me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest? If you’d like to subscribe to Aggie’s Kitchen and have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box, then please add your email here. Happy cooking!
There are affiliate links in this post. I make small earnings through any purchases made through these links. Thank you for supporting Aggie’s Kitchen!