5-Ingredient Vegetable Fried Brown Rice
This Vegetable Fried Brown Rice comes together quick with just 5 ingredients. A tasty and healthy brown rice recipe perfect for meatless Mondays or a side dish on busy school nights.
If there is one thing I’m learning it’s that I will always thank myself on Tuesday night for cooking up a batch of brown rice Sunday. Food prep like cooking grains, baked potatoes and even shredded chicken in the slow cooker ALWAYS saves me during the school week.
When I find myself unsure of what I want to make for dinner (not to mention, short on time), it’s always incredibly helpful to have a few staples already cooked up and waiting in the fridge. Brown rice is one of those staples and helps to make this super quick and easy Vegetable Fried Brown Rice possible even on the busiest of nights.
What veggies go in fried rice?
I found a frozen organic vegetable medley with edamame at Costco and love it for easy side dishes that I know my kids will eat, or to include in healthy brown rice recipes like this one. Frozen mixed veggies are a great shortcut ingredient for fried rice but you can include so many different veggies, especially if you are trying to clear out the produce drawer.
These veggies are perfect for fried rice:
- chopped onion
- diced carrot
- chopped broccoli
- green beans
You can make this fried brown rice recipe even better by throwing in any leftover protein you may have (steak, chicken, shrimp) to bulk it up or if you are in the mood for something light it’s great as is. My family loves Asian food and I try to make a stir fry at least once a week. This veggie fried rice is the perfect addition to stir fry night.
Serve this healthy brown rice recipe with your favorite stir fry or Asian inspired dish. Here are some to try:
Baked Teriyaki Turkey Meatballs from Cookin’ Canuck
This 5-Ingredient Vegetable Fried Brown Rice was featured in Vegetarian Recipes with Five or Fewer Ingredients on Greatist!Print
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (or other high heat cooking oil)
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- Heat oil in a large wok over medium high heat.
- Add frozen mixed vegetables and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add brown rice and soy sauce to vegetables and cook for up to 5 minutes or until all is heated through.
- Make a well in the center of the vegetables and rice and add whisked eggs to wok. Let cook and set for a minute. Break up eggs with your spatula or spoon (I use this bamboo stir fry spatula) into small pieces. Stir into fried rice.
- Season well with coarse salt, fresh ground pepper and additional soy sauce to taste. Serve with red chili sauce or sriracha.
Nutrition information is calculated based on the more common frozen mixed vegetable blend you find in grocery stores, without edamame. Feel free to add edamame in addition to the vegetables and recalculate nutrition info if needed (I like to use My Fitness Pal).
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 132
- Fat: 4
- Carbohydrates: 16
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 6
Keywords: brown rice, fried rice, vegetarian
Are you following me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest? If you’d like to subscribe to Aggie’s Kitchen and have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box, then please add your email here. Happy cooking!
There are affiliate links in this post. I make small earnings through any purchases made through these links. Thank you for supporting Aggie’s Kitchen!