Meal Plan Fail Recovery: Roasted Vegetable Whole Wheat Pasta Salad

Roasted Vegetable Whole Wheat Pasta Salad | Aggie's Kitchen

I experienced a bit of a meal plan fail this week (nothing new, really). I had good intentions going into the week, stocking up the fridge with fresh fruits and veggies for lunches and dinners like I normally do, with a loose plan. But as the week went on, nothing I had planned sounded good anymore or fit into our evening schedule. As I saw this all unfolding, I had to regroup – and make something out of the packed veggie drawer that was easy and easy to eat within our schedule.

It doesn’t get easier than pasta salad in my opinion.

Roasted Vegetable Whole Wheat Pasta Salad | Aggie's Kitchen

It took a little prep, yes – but I spent a few minutes yesterday afternoon chopping up the three packages of asparagus, zucchini and squash that I was afraid would go to waste if I didn’t do something about immediately. I tossed them in a little olive oil, salt and pepper and filled two baking trays to roast up. I didn’t fuss over any special vinaigrette – though I did start to brainstorm for another time – instead just simply using balsamic vinegar and olive oil and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese to dress the pasta and veggies once everything cooled down. Oh my goodness, this turned out so delicious.

Roasted Vegetable Whole Wheat Pasta Salad | Aggie's Kitchen

My daughter and I are the pasta salad lovers in the family so we will probably get through this batch in just a couple of days. I’ve already eaten it for lunch twice, and it went into her lunchbox today  as well. It makes a pretty tasty after school snack if you ask her (and me). Since I tend to meal plan fail often enough (or overbuy in the produce department) I can see a pasta salad like this happening again very soon (how good would it be with roasted eggplant and red bell peppers next time??).

Enjoy!

Roasted Vegetable Whole Wheat Pasta Salad | Aggie's Kitchen

Roasted Vegetable Whole Wheat Pasta Salad

Pasta salad is truly a cook's creation in my opinion. Use what you have on hand and try different ingredients each time. I enjoyed this pasta salad with a simple balsamic and olive oil dressing, but feel free to use one your of your favorite vinaigrettes. Don't forget the Parmesan cheese!

Ingredients

• 1 13 oz box of whole wheat pasta (rotini, penne or shells is my favorite)
  • 3 zucchini, chopped in large even pieces
  • 4-5 squash, chopped in large even pieces
  • a bunch of asparagus, trimmed and cut to large even pieces
  • 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil for roasting
  • pinch salt and pepper
  • balsamic vinegar and olive oil for dressing (splash and drizzle, to taste)

Instructions

1. Prepare pasta according to directions. Don't overcook. Drain, set aside in large bowl.
  2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  3. Place chopped vegetables onto baking sheet (you may need more than one depending on how many vegetables, you don't want to overcrowd baking sheet). Drizzle with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil and toss till all the vegetables are coated evenly. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place in oven. Bake for 20 minutes. At 20 minutes, give vegetables a gentle toss and cook for another 5 minutes.
  4. Let vegetables cool down to room temperature. Add to cooked pasta in a large bowl and dress with a few splashes of balsamic vinegar and a drizzle or two of olive oil. With a large spoon gently combine, adding a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
  5. Sprinkle grated or shredded Parmesan cheese as serving.

Notes

Whole wheat pasta is packed with protein and fiber and makes this such a satisfying and nutritious snack or meal. If whole wheat pasta isn't your thing, feel free to swap it for regular pasta!

More pasta salad love:

Pasta Salad Caprese with Roasted Garlic and Balsamic Dressing

Beach Day Macaroni Salad

Creamy Tuna Pasta Salad with Greek Yogurt

Pasta Salad with Balsamic Basil Vinaigrette

Southwestern Pasta Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing from Two Peas and Their Pod

Tabbouleh Pasta Salad from The Lemon Bowl

23 Responses to “Meal Plan Fail Recovery: Roasted Vegetable Whole Wheat Pasta Salad”

1. Sandy @ RE posted April 18, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Love all your recipes, Aggie. So healthy!

2. Angie posted April 18, 2013 at 1:53 pm

I love this, it’s beautiful! And I know how it is, I have at one thing that goes rotten every week because I didn’t make what I had planned on just because I wasn’t in the mood.

3. Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar posted April 18, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Looove all the veggies in here! This looks fabulous! Kitchen fails are my life, but when good stuff comes out of them it makes them all worth it :)

4. Alyssa (Everyday Maven) posted April 18, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Love how simple but flavorful this is Aggie. I remember when I was pregnant and I would do the same thing – buy a ton of stuff and go through phases where nothing just seemed “good” or came together from it.

5. Cassie | Bake Your Day posted April 18, 2013 at 4:35 pm

I always have the best intentions with my meal plan but at least one night usually gets knocked around. I love what you did here though!

6. Jamie | Thrifty Veggie Mama posted April 18, 2013 at 4:48 pm

This is exactly what happens to me! I love roasting veggies. In fact, I just scheduled my post tomorrow which is roasted veggies and balsamic vinegar!

7. Shaina posted April 18, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Pasta salad is such a great standby. This one looks chock full of hearty vegetables. Perfect for an easy meal.

8. Erica posted April 18, 2013 at 6:20 pm

There is something about roasted vegetables that is SO darn comforting!! This looks like a major win, not a fail to me ;)

9. Kristin @ Dizzy Busy and Hungry! posted April 18, 2013 at 9:12 pm

I do the same thing and overbuy produce thinking I will use it, or sometimes I do have a plan but it somehow falls apart and I have to find a way to use the veggies! This is a perfect idea and as you said it is so customizable to whatever you happen to have on hand!

10. Tracey posted April 18, 2013 at 9:30 pm

What a wonderful last-minute meal! Roasted veggies are the best, I could eat them 5 nights a week!

11. bellini posted April 19, 2013 at 7:28 am

I always start the week off with the best of intentions as well. Whole wheat pasta salad is a good save.

12. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles posted April 19, 2013 at 7:58 am

I haven’t made a good pasta salad in so long, this sounds so good! I think part of it is this weather…just got another 6″ of snow last night, ugh! I want spring and summer pasta salads!!!

13. Kirsten@FarmFreshFeasts posted April 19, 2013 at 10:06 am

Aggie,
    Your meal plan fail sounds like my life during the CSA farm share season–the produce drawer is brimming with delicious fresh stuff that I have to eat, freeze, or can somehow before the next bunch comes in the door!
    I love this pasta salad and will make it this summer.
    Thanks!

14. Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen posted April 19, 2013 at 10:06 am

Whole wheat pasta is a favorite around here and I really love the roasted veggies to go with it!

15. Marly posted April 19, 2013 at 11:02 am

Veggies and pasta go so well together. Thanks for another great recipe to try!

16. Bree {Skinny Mommy} posted April 19, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Totally looks like something I would make-veggies and pasta = yay!

17. Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet posted April 19, 2013 at 1:32 pm

That looks fantastic Aggie. I love a good quick pasta salad, especially when the weather outside is nice. Loaded with veggies is the only way to go.

18. Liz @ The Lemon Bowl posted April 19, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Love this for so many reasons!!!!!

19. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking posted April 19, 2013 at 4:25 pm

This looks so delish and easy! I think I would toss in some lemon juice or zest, and freshly grated Parmesan too. Great recipe!

20. Nutmeg Nanny posted April 21, 2013 at 11:48 am

Pasta salad is one of my favorite go to dinners :) yours looks so delicious!

21. Sheila posted April 22, 2013 at 10:29 am

I’m a pasta salad lover too! I always think of pasta salad as warm weather food though for some reason…hmmmm will I ever get to eat pasta salad again with the weather we have had in Mi I’m worried. ; )

22. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies posted April 22, 2013 at 5:47 pm

This looks like the perfect dinner to me–oh, those roasted veggies!

23. EA-The Spicy RD posted April 23, 2013 at 1:24 am

So glad you had a meal plan fail (been there, done that :-) so you could share this yummy pasta dish!!!