Banana and Coconut Butter Smoothie

by Aggies Kitchen on February 19, 2013

Banana and Coconut Smoothie | Aggie's Kitchen

There’s a new butter in town folks, and it’s made with one of my most favorite things in the world – coconut. Coconut butter may not be all that new to some of you, but it’s new to me. I’ve seen it popping up around here and there and I finally broke down and bought some today. At first, I didn’t see much of a difference flavor wise or texture wise as coconut oil, and I felt confused. But as I dug my spoon in a little deeper into the jar I saw a slight change of color and I knew then that I had found gold. Holy cow, this stuff is good (if you love coconut that is).

What is coconut butter? Well, it’s basically just the flesh of the coconut ground up and processed until creamy – similar to nut butter. You get all the nutrition of eating pure raw coconut into a small amount that can be used as a spread or as a supplement to meals such as smoothies, granola bars or even oatmeal. Coconut is full of good stuff – lots of fiber, vitamins & minerals, along with a little protein and good for you fat.

Banana and Coconut Butter Smoothie | Aggie's Kitchen

When I got home with my jar of gold I immediately knew I wanted to add it to a smoothie. I love simple banana smoothies, especially right after a morning workout. This smoothie isn’t your typical thick smoothie – it’s light and refreshing and makes a perfect snack for those in between meal times. Enjoy!

So tell me, am I the last person on Earth to try coconut butter? If you’ve had it, tell me how you like it!

Banana and Coconut Butter Smoothie

A light, refreshing and nutritious smoothie that makes a great post-workout or in between meal time snack.

Ingredients

• 8 oz unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1 tablespoon coconut butter
  • 4-5 ice cubes

Instructions

1. Place almond milk, banana and coconut butter into blender and process until smooth. Add ice cubes to blender and process again until combined completely.

Notes

Tip: Frozen bananas are a great addition to smoothies. I always have a ziplock full of peeled banana halves in my freezer to have on hand to add to smoothies or to sweeten up oatmeal.

More coconut butter love!

How to Make Coconut Butter | The Kitchn

Coconut Butter Granola | How Sweet It Is

Toasted Coconut Butter | Cookie and Kate

Coconut Cookie Dough Balls | Chocolate Covered Katie

Vanilla Bean Coconut Butter Cups with Chocolate Peanut Butter | Edible Perspective

Homemade Coconut Butter over Roasted Sweet Potatoes | Edible Perspective

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl February 19, 2013 at 12:53 pm

I just bought my first jar and can’t believe it took me so long!! Haven’t used it in a smoothie yet- sounds amazing!! I love frying an egg with it and spreading in toast instead of butter. Yum!

Aggies Kitchen February 19, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Glad I’m not only one! I have used coconut oil for a while, I love this even more! :)

Jen @ Savory Simple February 19, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Yes to all of this.

JulieD February 19, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Ooh this looks so good, Aggie. Thanks for sharing!

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 19, 2013 at 1:36 pm

It’s a NEED, not a want! ;)

katie February 19, 2013 at 1:41 pm

I’ve yet to try coconut butter but now you have me really convinced that I need it in my life! :) Looks great!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar February 19, 2013 at 1:55 pm

I love coconut butter! It’s so great in smoothies and this looks lovely!

Kristen February 19, 2013 at 2:09 pm

I have never tried it, but I can’t wait to. I bet it tastes incredible!

Julia February 19, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I have not used coconut butter before but it sounds wonderful in a smoothie. I love the idea of spreading it on toast as well. I need to get my hands on this stuff!

Conveniently Natural February 19, 2013 at 3:47 pm

That smoothie sounds delicious, I haven’t bought any of the coconut butter myself yet so no, you are not the last person to try it! :-) Will be watching for it at the store now!

Erica February 19, 2013 at 3:54 pm

I have a friend whose addicted to it! I still haven’t tried it. I think its about time. The smoothie sounds delicious

Erika @ The Hopeless Housewife February 19, 2013 at 4:49 pm

This is my kind of smoothie!

Cara February 19, 2013 at 7:02 pm

I keep seeing it all over the place too – need to grab a jar!

Alyssa (Everyday Maven) February 19, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Wait until you start baking with it Aggie! It’s awesome :)

Shanna@ pineapple and coconut February 20, 2013 at 2:23 am

I LOVE coconut butter. And most often in smoothies too. I just hit publish on a coconut smoothie on my blog! Great minds think alike – but mine uses coconut milk. I have even made my own coconut butter before too – takes about 10 min in a food processor but really easy to do! I can’t wait to try your smoothie recipe!

Amy (Savory Moments) February 20, 2013 at 7:02 am

Whoa – I’ve never seen this before. I use coconut oil, milk, etc… but the butter is new to me. I’m sure it’s quite delicious, especially in this smoothie.

Kim | At Home With Kim February 20, 2013 at 7:17 am

I LOVE coconut butter…. my favorite thing is to melt it in the microwave and add it as an “icing” to a yogurt, fruit, granola parfait. I stopped using it when I started WW again to save points, but believe the benefits are so high it’s worth them and look forward to using it more. THanks for the reminder.

Kirsten@FarmFreshFeasts February 20, 2013 at 7:19 am

Aggie,
I’ve never tried coconut butter, but I ate a lot of coconut when I lived in Hawaii. I bet this smoothie is delicious, combining two great tropical flavors. I never think to peel my banana before freezing it. The skin does a fine job of protecting it both on the tree and in my freezer so I just toss an overripe banana in the door of the freezer whole. Of course I’m usually squishing the banana out into a muffin batter when I’m ready to use it!
Thanks for a tropical way to start my day.

Jamie @ Thrifty Veggie Mama February 20, 2013 at 8:10 am

Definitely not the last person on earth! I’ve never tried it so maybe I’m the last person…

Jen February 20, 2013 at 8:24 am

I use coconut oil for everything from cooking to moisturizer to diaper cream. I had NO IDEA there was coconut butter but you can be sure I’m going out to get some now – genius! Thank you. You just made my world better.

Angie February 20, 2013 at 8:55 am

Well, I haven’t tried it yet either, did you have to go to Whole Foods to find it? Smoothie looks great too! XOXO

Robyn | Add a Pinch February 20, 2013 at 9:07 am

This smoothie sounds delicious, Aggie. I’ve been making one lately with raw cashews, a frozen banana and some cocoa. Oh my word! I’ll have to try with coconut butter instead of the cashews. I know that would be even mo-bettah!

Minnie(@thelady8home) February 20, 2013 at 9:17 am

This is one of the best smoothie I read in recent time. Wonderful.

claire @ the realistic nutritionist February 20, 2013 at 9:49 am

I’ve NEVER used coconut butter. but Now i have to!

misschelsmangia February 20, 2013 at 10:18 am

OMG SO CRAZY I JUST POSTED A RECIPE LIKE THIS…great minds think alike :)

Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste February 20, 2013 at 10:35 am

Thank you for inspiring me to try coconut butter! I’ll be making these Sunday morning and can’t wait to be transported to the tropics from the comfort of my kitchen :)

Carrie @ Kiss My Whisk February 20, 2013 at 10:56 am

Can’t wait to try Coconut Butter & this smoothie! Love banana smoothies in the morning, and this looks delicious!

Sandy @ RE February 20, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Fabulous, Aggie! Love the combo!

Honey What's Cooking February 20, 2013 at 11:33 pm

This looks fantastic. I made coconut butter for the first time about a month ago and I love it. I put it on EVERYTHING. so good. I’ve been wanting to make a banana coconut smoothie, hopefully will get to it once I work from home. Lovely blog btw..

Aggies Kitchen February 21, 2013 at 7:34 am

I really need to try making my own! From what I hear it is much more economical :)

Nutmeg Nanny February 21, 2013 at 9:22 am

I LOVE coconut oil! I use it cooking, baking, and of course my morning smoothies. It’s so great!

leslie February 22, 2013 at 8:03 am

I havenet seem coconut butter. I must live under a rock! Is it oily?

Aggies Kitchen May 12, 2013 at 4:32 pm

not oily like coconut oil, but a little oily like peanut butter if that makes sense!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com February 26, 2013 at 6:59 pm

I surely LOVE coconut butter — there’s nothing like it!! Try spreading it with nutella on a toast. Oh my god.

gina @ skinnytaste March 7, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Love love love!

Melissa @ Love Bug Living March 13, 2013 at 9:45 pm

This sounds so good! Where did you buy your coconut butter?

Aggies Kitchen May 12, 2013 at 4:31 pm

I’m not sure if I emailed you this or not, but just in case – I found it at a health food store in Lake Mary called M&M. It’s in the peanut butter section.

Denise @ Creative Kitchen March 20, 2013 at 10:41 am

Aggie,

I love coconut oil, coconut cream, coconut anything….but I’ve never heard of coconut butter!! Wow…..sounds amazing. If it’s anything like coconut cream then I know it is. ;)

Sophie May 10, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I saw this recipe and HAD to try in right away. It is so yummy and frothy! I used coconut almond milk instead of vanilla just because I had some on hand, but the coconut butter didn’t seem to mix in super well with the smoothie. It tasted delish, but there was little bits of coconut butter that didn’t really blend in. My coconut butter is quite solid- was I meant to heat it up to make it more liquid before putting it in a smoothie?

Aggies Kitchen May 12, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Hi Sophie! Thanks for the note! After experimenting a bit with the coconut butter, I think that when it’s added at the same time as ice, it can tend to freeze up and solidify and that’s where it doesn’t blend in well. Try again blending it first without the ice, then adding the ice at the end of the process. I updated the directions to state that because someone else had asked the same question – so thank you!!
Let me know if that works better for you next time!!

Kathy August 9, 2013 at 12:21 am

I haven’t seen this anywhere either. Where did you buy it and did you find it with the oils or the peanut and other nut butters? I live in the Pacific NW.

Thanks

Aggies Kitchen August 9, 2013 at 7:20 am

I found it with the nut butters in my health food stores. Hope you can find some!

Sonja Galovics April 25, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Coconut oil and chocolate chips…in the microwave until melted and pour over ice cream and you have HARD SHELL at a very low price and it’s sooooo good.