15 Homemade Food Gift Ideas For Family And Friends

For the last few years, I’ve had to get creative with gifts for some of those hard to shop for people in my family (translate: the men).  I tend to pick up bottles of hot sauces for my heat-seeking brother throughout the year, though my plan is always to experiment with making my own to gift. Homemade food gifts like spice blends, whipped butters and even infused oils and spirits can be such a unique and thoughtful gift to those who you know would enjoy them.

Most of these can be made at pretty short notice, which I like. These types of gifts are also great for friends, neighbors, teachers and co-workers. The spice blends are great gifts for those you know like to cook – just pick up inexpensive spice jars at a place like World Market for easy packaging (don’t forget a coupon!). My friend Heidi has been giving us whipped honey butter for the last couple of years and my whole family looks forward to it each time. I love the idea of packaging up a Christmas coffee blend for the coffee lovers in my life, how nice would it be to wake up to a pot of spiced coffee Christmas morning!

Hope you are inspired to make something special with some of these ideas this year. Nothing made me happier than getting a text of a picture of my brother-in-law at the grill using up the last of his bbq spice rub asking for more! :)

Spice Blends and Rubs

BBQ Spice Rub
Rosemary Salt
Ranch Dressing Mix
Pumpkin Pie Spice
Cajun Spice Mix

Whipped Butters

Cinnamon Honey Butter
Vanilla Bean Whipped Honey Butter
Pumpkin Honey Whipped Butter
Cranberry Cinnamon Honey Butter
Whipped Honey-Maple Cinnamon Butter (paired up with pumpkin cornbread muffins – wow!)

Something a little different…

Homemade Maraschino Cherries
Rosemary Infused Vodka
Chili Oil
Homemade Christmas Coffee Blend
Homemade Pancake Mix

Do you like to make your own gifts during the holidays? What are some of your favorites? Links welcome!

26 Responses to “15 Homemade Food Gift Ideas For Family And Friends”

1. leslie posted December 10, 2012 at 8:11 am

Homemade Christmas gifts are the best kind!!!

• Aggies Kitchen posted December 10, 2012 at 10:42 am

They really are…both giving and receiving!

2. Cassie | Bake Your Day posted December 10, 2012 at 9:15 am

Thanks for linking to my ranch mix, Aggie! This is so fun, I love homemade edible gifts!

• Aggies Kitchen posted December 10, 2012 at 10:42 am

My sister is a ranch lover and I immediately thought it would be a perfect gift for her when I saw you post it :)

3. brandi posted December 10, 2012 at 9:41 am

love these! we do all homemade gifts now, so I’m always looking for new ideas.

my favorites to do:
    bark
    spiced nuts
    homemade sugar scrub
    homemade vanilla extract
    spice rubs
    toffee
    crafty stuff (bags, vases, etc)

• Aggies Kitchen posted December 10, 2012 at 10:41 am

Oh…I love those homemade sugar scrubs! I have never made them, but have always wanted to. Such great ideas Brandi! :)

4. Liz @ The Lemon Bowl posted December 10, 2012 at 10:35 am

This year I’m determined to do an edible gift!! I’m thinking granola of some sort? Love the BBQ rub idea.

• Aggies Kitchen posted December 10, 2012 at 10:41 am

granola sounds perfect! I’m actually thinking of doing the same for teacher gifts and neighbors. I love the idea of a vanilla-almond or pumpkin spice granola :)

5. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen posted December 10, 2012 at 11:06 am

Edible gifts are the best :)

6. Alyssa (Everyday Maven) posted December 10, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I love it Aggie -we both posted homemade gift ideas today! You have some great ideas here :)

7. JulieD posted December 10, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I love this!! Add biscotti to my list! :)

8. Erica posted December 10, 2012 at 8:42 pm

SO cool! I love the idea of doing the homemade rub!! I usually stick with cookies & granola but would love to branch out

9. Jamie @ Thrifty Veggie Mama posted December 10, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I love giving homemade gifts. Last year I did some spiced nuts and also some different kinds of popcorn.

10. Rachel Cooks posted December 11, 2012 at 7:00 am

Wow, thanks for including so many of my posts, Aggie! What a great list–everyone loves homemade gifts!

11. Mary posted December 11, 2012 at 8:30 am

This is a great round up of ideas, Aggie! Thanks for including the link to my post too. Homemade gifts really are the best, aren’t they?

12. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies posted December 11, 2012 at 10:46 am

I’m working on a round-up of edible gift ideas myself because I’m also trying to do lots of homemade gifts this year! I know my family would love that spice rub. :)

13. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction posted December 11, 2012 at 10:54 am

I love giving different homemade gifts each year! These are some great ideas!

14. Christine (Cook the Story) posted December 11, 2012 at 11:17 am

Hi Aggie,
    This is such a great list of gift ideas. I’m heading over the check them all out right now since I haven’t even come close to finishing my Christmas shopping. (Thanks for including my coffee blend in your list!).
    Christine

15. Cindy posted December 11, 2012 at 3:57 pm

This is my 4th year of homemade gifts. My big hits have been mustards, which is great because they are super easy! A sweet and tangy mustard with pickle juice and an English Brown mustard – http://bread-and-honey.blogspot.com/2008/07/homemade-mustard.html

have also done:
    Limoncello
    Pumpkin Butter
    Cranberry Orange marmalade
    Nutella
    Dulce de leche
    cranberry vinegar
    apple ginger vinegar
    mint hot fudge sauce
    spiced nuts
    cinnamon rolls (pioneer women’s website – AMAZING)

16. Kristin posted December 11, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Thanks for the inspiration! I’m getting married this year, which translates to, “We have a tight budget for Christmas presents this year, ” lol so I can really use some inspiration for some homemade gifts.

17. BRee posted December 11, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Such great ideas!

18. Liz posted October 16, 2013 at 10:14 am

Your picture has peach BBQ sauce. Do you have a recipe for this one?

1. Pingback: Holiday Gifts For Him From Harry & David | Aggie's Kitchen

2. Pingback: Bean Bytes 17

3. Pingback: 15 Homemade Food Gift Ideas For Family And Friends | YooCustomize.com