Pumpkin Butter Vinaigrette over Mixed Greens, Pepitas and Blue Cheese

by Aggies Kitchen on December 4, 2012

I definitely inherited the “no waste” mentality from my grandmother. She will find a way to use up every last drop of whatever you are about to throw away (for example…handwashing soap dispensers, I am constantly adding water to them and shaking them up to get those last few pumps before they get tossed – does anyone else do this?). She has always recycled everything – way before it was the “environmentally friendly” (and cool) thing to do…I don’t think she realizes how forward thinking she really is.

There was even a time when a few pairs of shoulder pads from some of my shirts from way-back-in-the-day (ugh) appeared as sewn together pot holders in our kitchen. True story.

I draw the line there.

Food is obviously something that shouldn’t be wasted, and I really try to stay mindful of that. I tend to make a lot of ‘clean out the fridge’ meals whether it be something like this roasted sausage and vegetable meal or soup. It makes me feel good to make meals like this, usually because they turn out to be extremely healthy but also because it lessens the guilt. Less guilt is always a good thing. ;)

I used the remnants of a jar of Pumpkin Pecan Butter I brought home on my trip to Harry & David in October. This stuff is so good. With the help of some creative friends I got 3 good uses out of this one jar – I made Sandy’s Warm Pear Pumpkin Pecan Cake as well as a 2-ingredient fruit dip (1 cup pumpkin butter and 1 cream cheese bar) idea I got from Sommer that we munched on with some apple slices and crackers during Thanksgiving weekend.

My grandma would be happy to know that not a drop in the jar was wasted.

Pumpkin Butter Vinaigrette over Mixed Greens, Pepitas and Blue Cheese

I get inspired to make vinaigrette with leftover condiments in my refrigerator. This vinaigrette was made with Harry & David's Pumpkin Pecan Butter and had just the right amount of sweetness on its own (there is applesauce in the ingredients). Adjust the level of sweetness according to your tastes.

Ingredients

• For the vinaigrette:
  • leftover pumpkin butter (whatever is left in your jar, about a tablespoon or so)
  • 1/4 apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 - 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 - 1 teaspoon honey, agave or applesauce, optional (my pumpkin butter had applesauce in the ingredients, adjust to your preferred level of sweetness)
  • good pinch salt and pepper
  • For the salad:
  • mixed salad greens
  • crumbled blue cheese
  • toasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)

Instructions

1. For the vinaigrette: Add all ingredients into almost empty pumpkin butter jar. Seal lid and shake vigorously until well combined. Taste for seasoning (add more honey or agave for sweetness).
  2. Spoon over your favorite salad greens along with good crumbled blue cheese and toasted pumpkin seeds.
  3. Store the remainder in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.

Notes

I normally like a 50/50 ratio when it comes to oil and vinegar in my dressings, but feel free to add a little extra oil to your liking.

My cutie-patutie grandarents this past Thanksgiving. :)

Erica December 4, 2012 at 11:40 am

Def a creative, yummy salad. The only foods that go to waste around here are random condiments. Ill have to make more of an effort to save them

Angie December 4, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Your going to make me order that pumpkin butter, because I have to make this now!

Sandy @ RE December 4, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Oh, this looks so good, Aggie. Love how creative you are! :) And your darling grandparents … so precious!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles December 4, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Of course I’m loving your latest salad, Aggie. Beautiful!!

Cassie | Bake Your Day December 4, 2012 at 4:51 pm

This is so brilliant, Aggie, I love it. The perfect fall salad. You are the queen of amazing salads!

Alyssa (Everyday Maven) December 4, 2012 at 7:05 pm

I get it – I am totally that person who pours a couple ounces of hot water into the empty pasta sauce jar before shaking it up and getting the last bits of sauce out. My husband always teases me a bit for it. Glad to know I am not alone ;)
Your grandparents are adorable!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch December 4, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Such a beautiful salad!

Megan December 4, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Sooo good!! I tried this vinaigrette tonight on our salad (along with pumpkin seeds and orange-infused cranberries) and it was sooo delicious! Thank you so much!

Sheila December 4, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Oh my love the pic of your grandparents. and Hey You are a genius with this dressing lady. drool.

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen December 4, 2012 at 10:52 pm

The photo of your grandparents made me smile! Grandparents can really be a special part of our lives! The salad, oh this salad, I think it is speaking to me! I need some of that pumpkin butter soon!

Amy (Savory Moments) December 5, 2012 at 6:37 am

This is a great idea and a yummy salad. I love the photo of your grandparents – so cute.

BRee December 5, 2012 at 7:00 am

That salad looks great and I bet the pumpkin butter was delish! Love the story of your grandma

Cookin' Canuck December 5, 2012 at 8:56 am

Okay, I love the shoulder pad story. Too funny! This vinaigrette is brilliant. I happen to have a container of Harry & David’s pumpkin butter and I am definitely making this. :)

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective December 5, 2012 at 9:00 am

With all the heavy food this time of year, I need a good salad like this!

Julia December 5, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Pumpkin vinaigrette is a great idea!! I love making my own dressings so I am def. adding that to the list! I actually have some left over that I need to use so it might be a perfect change to test this recipe out.

JulieD December 5, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Your grandparents are so cute!! What a great recipe, Aggie!!

K. Sharp December 6, 2012 at 7:31 am

Useful recipe for all pumpkin lovers, but always remind that we should use vinegar very carefully in our food items it can be harmful for our internal body parts.

Kristi Rimkus December 6, 2012 at 9:01 am

Like you, I learned from my mom and grandmother to be frugal as well. I find it very difficult to throw anything away until there’s no hope of salvaging anything else from it. I even add water to my laundry detergent bottle to get one last small wash. Delicious looking salad!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl December 6, 2012 at 11:33 am

What a genius idea to use this jar!! My mom makes homemade apple butter – thinking the same thing!!

Tara @ Unsophisticook December 7, 2012 at 3:46 pm

So simple and beautiful!

Kristi December 7, 2012 at 8:06 pm

This looks absolutely delicious! I’m going to have to try the Pumpkin Butter, because using it in the viniagrette sounds divine! YUM! Thanks for the great idea!

Sargento Cheese March 28, 2013 at 3:28 pm

We love this simple yet irresistable salad! The classic yet delicious blend of greens, pepitas, and blue cheese is enhanced by the unique vinaigrette! A great blue cheese option is the Sargento Crumbled Blue Cheese. Perfect for salads and wraps, this blue cheese also tastes great with burgers and grilled sandwiches.