One Pot Meal: Mahi Mahi with Zucchini, Tomatoes and Corn
If you every took a peek inside my freezer, you would most likely find at least 3 or 4 different kinds of frozen fish or seafood at any given time. Salmon, mahi, red snapper, cod, shrimp…they all come in extremely useful when putting together quick healthy dinners, and I always stock up on them – especially when they are on sale or I visit Costco.
You can defrost fish straight out of the freezer is such a short amount of time which is what makes it so great for last minute meals. I defrost my fish by first taking it out of it’s sealed plastic bag and running it under cool water in your sink (I usually place it in a shallow bowl or large dish and run the water gently over it, taking time to turn it around every now and then). While the fish is defrosting you’ll have enough time to prep the rest of your meal.
(look at all those veggies!)
This is one of the easiest dinners you can put together, and you’ll feel so good about it too. Serve it as is for a light meal, or throw it over some rice for something a little more substantial.
Mahi Mahi with Zucchini, Tomatoes and Corn
Yield: serves 2
- 2 mahi mahi fillets (I used frozen, 5 oz portions)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon light oil or cooking spray
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 medium zucchini, large dice
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn (if frozen, defrost under water first)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes (with juices), zucchini, onion, corn and vinegar. Set aside.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. In a shallow dish or bowl, combine flour with smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Pat your fish fillets dry with a paper towel, then gently dredge your fish in flour mixture. Add oil to skillet, then fish fillets. Cook both sides of fish until golden brown (about 2-3 minutes on each side).
- Pour tomato and vegetable mixture over fish and reduce to medium heat and cover. Cook covered for about 10 minutes until zucchini is just cooked through and fish can be flaked easily with a fork.
- Serve as is or over rice.