Zucchini, Red Onion and Black Bean Quesadillas
When it comes to building a quesadilla, I think it’s pretty safe to say “anything goes”. I think that’s what I love the most about making them. They are basically just the vehicle for whatever ingredients you have on hand, and most of the time I would say, it’s pretty hard not to get it right.
These particular quesadillas happened one afternoon around lunch time. It was one of those days where I found I had a little extra time to experiment and build on what I had in the fridge. I love those kind of days…and now that kids are in school during the day I hope to experience more of those moments (my favorite part of cooking is making something new and delicious!!)
I can see these quesadillas being served as lunch, a light meatless dinner or as snacky food to serve during game days. They are perfect for balancing out any menu where you want to include a meatless option for any guests that are vegetarian or who prefer something lighter. I served them with some of Bolthouse Farms Salsa Ranch dressing (LOVE!) but they would be great with Kalyn’s kicked up Sriracha-Ranch Dipping Sauce or this Chipotle and Lime Sour Cream from Mother Rimmy. Or of course they would be delicious dipped in your favorite salsa.
Zucchini, Red Onion and Black Bean Quesadillas
Yield: 4 quesadillas
- 1 zucchini, halved then sliced into "half moons"
- 1/2 red onion, halved, then sliced thin
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon light oil or cooking spray
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 can Bush's Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (I used La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious, Low Carb High Fiber tortillas)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese of choice (I used pepper jack, but cheddar, mozzarella or monteray jack would be great as well)
- Heat oil in a non stick skillet (or simply spray with cooking spray). Add zucchini and red onion to skillet, sprinkle with cumin, salt and pepper. Let vegetables cook over medium heat for up to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Set aside.
- Using a large non stick skillet, heat tortilla over medium heat for about 30 seconds. Flip over and begin to build your quesadilla by layering with shredded cheese, zucchini and onion mixture, black beans, then again with shredded cheese. Make sure your ingredients are divided evenly for 4 tortillas before you begin.
- Cook quesadilla on first side for about a minute, then gently flip over. Cook on second side for 2 -3 minutes or until cheese is melted through and tortillas are browned but not burned. Remove quesadilla from pan onto cutting board and let cool slightly before cutting. Cut into thirds and serve with sour cream, salsa or a combination of salsa and ranch dipping sauce. (Note: I used Bolthouse Farms salsa ranch dressing for dipping - delicious!)
- Serve as a light meal or as an appetizer.
Follow AggiesKitchen on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from the blog! Use the hashtag #aggieskitchen - I'd love to see what you are cooking up!
This post is sponsored by Bush’s Beans. My thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.
Are you following me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest? If you’d like to subscribe to Aggie’s Kitchen and have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box, then please add your email here. Happy cooking!
There are affiliate links in this post. I make small earnings through any purchases made through these links. Thank you for supporting Aggie’s Kitchen!
Aggie this looks awesome and right up my alley! I agree with you anything goes with quesadillas! I must try the Salsa Ranch Dressing… I’ve only tried the traditional ranch!
Love quesadillas! You can hide lots of good stuff in them and the kids still eat them.
These look so freaking yummy! What a great, quick, dinner 🙂
These look SO good!! Patrick wouldn’t touch them but I would gladly eat 4-5 myself!
These looks delicious, Aggie!
Ya know, I never grew up eating quesadillas. Like, ever. But now I can’t resist them. We even make asian style. So yum
I’m such a huge quesadilla fan! And the more veggies the better. Looks fantastic.
You have the best bean recipes! I love this, it would be my perfect lunch!
this ‘dilla looks absolutely perfect…i love mine chock full of veggies and cheese!
You had me at Z.
Yum. Healthy and delish. Good combo!!
Can’t wait to try these, Aggie. I love all of your fresh recipes!
These look awesome!! I think Asher would love these – he is obsessed with zucchini lately!
Yummity, yum, yum, YUM! A perfect lunch!
I happen to have had something similar for lunch. Will try the zucchini next time! Looks scrummy.
Quesidillas are on our menu at least once a week. My family and I just love them! I will try your recipe!
As the name says, I’m already a fan of beans, but when you combine it with cheese, the love jumps ten fold.
I love this recipe!!
Great way to use up all that zucchini — yum!
i agree – quesadillas are pretty much awesome regardless of what you put in ’em. heck, i just posted a cheddar, apple + bacon version! =) yours look lovely – and so versatile!
This might just be my favorite quesadilla recipe yet! Love all the ingredients – from the fiber-licious beans to the whole wheat tortillas – yummy!
What yummy veggie quesadillas – they look really addicting!
I love this, Aggie!! I’m gonna try this next time I make quesadillas!!
We eat a lot of quesadillas, and these are totally calling my name!!
Nice way to use zucchini. Going to have to remember for next time they roll in via our CSA!
Wow!! This looks so healthy and yummmm. Love it. Zucchini can make most dishes rock, so this one looks especially good.
I would love it if you would link this up or some other dish that you think would suit for the weekend dinner extravaganza that I have running on my blog.
I have all of the ingredients!
I just found that bolthouse dressing and also fell in love with it! I can’t wait to try these quesadillas, what a great dinner idea!
Finally I know what quesadilla is. So easy to make!
We adore quesadillas around here. I love these veggies. I need to try that dressing too!
OMG these look awesomely delicious!!!! Also do visit my space. I am hosting a gala dinner extravaganza, a fabulous linky party for all. Please come and join the fun.
Lots of veggies, great flavor, and some fiber to boot? What a perfect light lunch or dinner! Love your recipes, Aggie. I definitely see a vegan version of this coming on!
These look delicious! What a creative way to use zucchini.
This looks incredible. Can’t wait to try it!
These sound like they would be wonderful!
we’re still stocked with zucchini – these look great!
How much do I want to come sit in your kitchen and enjoy these for lunch with you??? I’m now also pinning this to make for lunch soon! My family and I have different tastes sometimes…. and this would be such a great way to get in things I love (red onion, meatless, etc) for lunch. I get so bored with salads, but TODAY I’m getting back on track with eating. This is the PERFECT way to do that to keep myself going when I want to throw salad out the window. 🙂 And thanks for including which tortillas you use…. I haven’t found any I like recently, so I’ll get those!
Pingback: My 12 Favorite Meals Of 2012 | Aggie's Kitchen
Pingback: BUSH's Mexican Black Bean Pizza | Aggie's Kitchen