Grilled Zucchini Frittata with Goat Cheese and Cherry Tomatoes

This is a prime example of ‘Meal Plan Fail’ in my house. The Plan was to have chicken burgers (these from Costco) on the grill with salads. Well, when I told the kids we were having cheeseburgers, they said – but you just told Dad CHICKEN burgers on the phone!!!….Wahhhhh, we don’t want CHICKEN burgers!

Goodness gracious.

Since I had absolutely no energy to argue (they have eaten these exact burgers before), nor did I personally even want a chicken burger, I squashed that plan real quick. I wanted a frittata. And the kids were totally content with scrambled, eggs, toast and fruit.

So, Menu Plan Fail turned into this…

On stove top, before going into oven:

For Her (frittata with baby arugula, minced garlic and a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper):

and For Him (frittata sandwich):

Best dinner ever. All smiles here.

Grilled Zucchini Frittata with Goat Cheese and Cherry Tomatoes

Ingredients

• 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup egg whites
  • splash milk
  • 2 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
  • 4 slices deli ham (we had Boar's Head Rosemary Parmesan in the fridge), chopped
  • leftover grilled zucchini, chopped (I had about 1 whole zucchini's worth - Never grilled zucchini? check out this simple recipe)
  • 2 oz crumbled goat cheese
  • about a handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • red pepper flakes, for serving, optional

Instructions

1. Preheat your broiler.
  2. In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and chives very well until light and fluffy (you'll have some bubbles on top).
  3. Heat a non stick, oven safe skillet (8") over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray or a drizzle of olive oil. Add your chopped zucchini and ham and cook for 1-2 minutes until warmed through. Add your whisked egg mixture and let set for a few minutes over medium heat.
  4. Crumble goat cheese over your eggs while they are setting and cook for a few minutes longer. After about 5-6 minutes total on stove top, add sliced tomatoes to top of eggs, sprinkle with salt and pepper and place under broiler. Cook under broiler for 4-5 minutes until top of egg mixture is completely cooked through and starts to brown and get bubbly.
  5. Using a mitt (very important!!) take skillet out of oven and let frittata cool for a few minutes. Slide frittata onto cutting board and slice into quarters.
  6. This frittata fed two hungry people.

Garden Update:

After days of rain, tomates are happening! So are jalapenos and lots and lots of herbs. Loving it!

All photos in this post brought to you by my iPhone, some with the help of Instagram, some not.

On a side note – thank you to Huffington Post for featuring me as one of their 10 Pinterest Users We’re Loving This Week. Totally flattered that someone thinks my time wasting but oh-so-fun hobby is worthy of a mention! :)

29 Responses to “Grilled Zucchini Frittata with Goat Cheese and Cherry Tomatoes”

1. Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar posted June 6, 2012 at 7:13 am

So simple and delicious looking! I’m such a sucker for frittatas of any kind!

2. Kim | At Home With Kim posted June 6, 2012 at 7:42 am

Okay, first of all… I can so relate to your kids complaints. Too funny. You are so great in coming up with these inventive recipes at the spur of the moment. This looks SO delicious. And I LOVE how you created it slightly differently to appeal to everyone in your family. You rock! Thanks for the great recipes and meal ideas always!!!

3. Erica posted June 6, 2012 at 9:40 am

SO cool that you got featured! That frittata seriously looks like a pizza. Amazingness

• Aggies Kitchen posted June 6, 2012 at 9:48 am

Thanks Erica! Kim (commenter above you) thought it was a pizza too! A tricked out pizza :)

4. Karly posted June 6, 2012 at 10:02 am

What is it with men and their need to put everything between two slices of bread? ;)

• Aggies Kitchen posted June 7, 2012 at 8:59 am

It makes it more “complete”…more manly maybe? ;)

5. Bev Weidner posted June 6, 2012 at 10:07 am

EL. OH. VEE. EE. LOVE.

• Aggies Kitchen posted June 7, 2012 at 8:59 am

:D

6. Cassie posted June 6, 2012 at 10:50 am

I love your frittata creations, Aggie! I have some amazing zucchini in my house right now. And the goat cheese? Brilliant!

• Aggies Kitchen posted June 7, 2012 at 8:59 am

Try it, you’ll like it :)

7. Heather (Heather's Dish) posted June 6, 2012 at 11:46 am

seriously delicious – grilled zucchini is my FAVORITE!

• Aggies Kitchen posted June 7, 2012 at 8:59 am

grilled zucchini rocks!

8. JulieD posted June 6, 2012 at 11:55 am

Love this! I have made frittatas with goat cheese before and it’s amazing. I don’t know what life is like before goat cheese. Yours looks awesome and I’ll have to try it with zucchini and tomatoes next time!

• Aggies Kitchen posted June 7, 2012 at 8:58 am

I totally agree Julie, goat cheese is awesome!

9. Rachel @ Baked by Rachel posted June 6, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Ha the ‘waaah’ part seriously made me crack up. Sounds so familiar. Great quick fix!

• Aggies Kitchen posted June 7, 2012 at 8:11 am

Ha, I know right? lol. Breakfast for dinner always saves the day!

10. Stephanie @ Macaroni and Cheesecake posted June 6, 2012 at 4:46 pm

This looks so pretty and a perfect way to use up summer veggies! Love that you put it on a sandwich for your husband! I bet it’s great that way!

• Aggies Kitchen posted June 7, 2012 at 8:10 am

It really is great in a sandwich, I tried it with a leftover Mexican frittata once and I loved it!

11. Cookin' Canuck posted June 6, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Your quick change of plan turned out beautifully! I can’t wait until we have a bounty of zucchini in our garden this year.

• Aggies Kitchen posted June 7, 2012 at 9:01 am

soon right? my garden produced one special zucchini. I don’t think there will be any more. We’ve been getting some nice ones from our CSA though.

12. claudia @whats cookin italian cuisine posted June 7, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Congrats on being featured on the http://www.driscolls.com/recipes/blogger-article.php site your recipes are fabulous and you need to be on your own cooking show… GREAT JOB!

• Aggies Kitchen posted June 11, 2012 at 8:58 am

Claudia, thank you so much!! (sorry for the late reply, just found your comment in spam, :( )
      I really appreciate your kind words, xoxoxoxox!!!

13. Jen @ Savory Simple posted June 7, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I’m not a huge fan of frittatas but this really looks delicious. I’ll keep it in mind when my zucchini starts going crazy!

14. Minnie@thelady8home posted June 8, 2012 at 8:30 am

I love, love Omlettes! What a simple but lovely combo!! This is going to be our SUnday breakfast! Love it!!

• Aggies Kitchen posted June 8, 2012 at 2:20 pm

simple and lovely – thank you! Enjoy it this weekend!!

15. Sommer@ASpicyPerspective posted June 8, 2012 at 9:14 am

I’ve got cherry tomatoes coming in that ar just waiting to jump into this dish!

• Aggies Kitchen posted June 8, 2012 at 2:22 pm

:) I love cherry tomatoes, am anxiously awaiting some more! Enjoy!

16. Bree posted June 15, 2012 at 2:21 pm

My kind of dinner–looks delish!

1. Pingback: 15 Cherry Tomato Recipes