Spring Reading List: What’s On My Bookshelf Right Now

by Aggies Kitchen on April 13, 2012

So in case you didn’t know, if I’m not cooking, gardening, cleaning my house, or playing momma – I’m reading. I’ve learned that when I find myself not actively reading a book, I get cranky. It’s my favorite way to escape and unwind. Are you with me?

I found myself stuck in a book for several weeks, could not get into it. I hate when that happens, because I always feel like I have to finish a book. The best thing I ever did is just let it go – because after a quick trip to the library, this book pile up above happened.

Currently reading:

Now You See Her by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge

I can’t put this one down and I am flying through this book. I really needed some easy reading to fall back into after the struggle with the last one. This book is typical James Patterson – some murder, some mystery, short chapters. Love it.

On standby:

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein – has been recommended by many. I can’t wait to read it. A story written through the eyes of a dog.

The Glass Series by Maria V. Snyder – This series was recommended to me by one of my reading buddies Katie. I picked up the 3rd book in the series, but I am planning to start with Storm Glass which is Book 1. I honestly do not understand what it is about, just like I really didn’t get Hunger Games when I read its back cover, so I’m going in kind of blind. And I don’t mind, it can be kind of fun to read a book that way.

The Paris Wife by Paula McLain – Liz recommended this book to me on my last book post. I’m holding on to it for a bit and starting it when my friend Allison finishes up her current read. It will be the first book selection of our unofficial Summer book club that will feature food and wine. :)

Newest cookbooks on the shelf:

Jeffrey Saad’s Global Kitchen: Recipes Without Borders

The Gardener & The Grill

What my friends are reading:

Katie is reading Shanghai Girls and French Kids Eat Everything

Jamie’s reading The Help

Jenna’s reading An Echo in the Bone and about to start a new one from Jodi Picoult, Lone Wolf

Brandi is into few good books right now: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, An Everlasting Meal and  The Shades of Grey trilogy (which I’m warned is racy ;) )

Kim is reading some more food books: The Maker’s Diet and a few Michael Pollan books

(disclosure: there are affiliate links in this post)

So now – you get to tell me what you’re reading! Go!

brandi April 13, 2012 at 1:05 pm

well it’s a good thing i’m finally getting a nightstand this weekend. i’m going to need room for more books! :)

Aggies Kitchen April 14, 2012 at 8:20 am

thanks for sharing your reads Brandi! I love finding new books. I have checked back to these types of post many times while browsing the library or bookstore! :) Happy weekend!

brandi April 13, 2012 at 1:06 pm

and the paris wife is on my list, too! I LOVE Hemingway – I’m excited to read that one.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar April 13, 2012 at 1:42 pm

The Art of Racing in the Rain is fantastic! It’s my staff pick at work. You’ll love it! :)

Yolanda April 13, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I am reading “Leaving” by Karen Kingsbury.

lisabella April 13, 2012 at 2:54 pm

The Glass series is amazing but you should really start with the Study series, Poison Study is the first one. The two series *can* stand on their own, I guess, but it’ll make much more sense to start at the beginning. :)

Aggies Kitchen April 14, 2012 at 8:19 am

lisabella – thanks for reminding me, Katie actually told me that originally but I forgot! Have to check out the library for the Study series first…and I’m pretty sure she said the same thing about they could be read on their own but better together :) Have a great weekend!

Kim | At Home With Kim April 13, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Funny that my books are all about FOOD! :-) I have got to start branching out. Like you, I prefer books that grab me and cause me to struggle to put it down.

Aggie April 14, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I cant wait to hear what you think of those books! Brandi is reading a couple of food books (linked above), they look good!

Richard Blaine April 13, 2012 at 6:42 pm

My shelves are LOADED with James Patterson! I love the womens murder club! I DIG Alex Cross! and I ride along with Max Ride! Cool! Another blogger that likes Patterson!

Aggies Kitchen April 14, 2012 at 8:21 am

JP is an old standby! Can always find a book I haven’t read. I love the Alex Cross series!

Jamie April 13, 2012 at 11:28 pm

I like to hear what other’s are reading. Gives me more to add to my list. I have some books that you gave me that I still need to read.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com April 14, 2012 at 1:17 am

I need to get back into reading habit — thanks for the suggestions :)

Maria April 14, 2012 at 7:42 am

I just finished The Language of Flowers. It was very good and interesting to learn the meaning behind my favorite flowers. The Art of Racing in the Rain was good, I cried as a dog lover. I am not a Hemingway fan but enjoyed The Paris wife …the authors of that day were crazy. Read Lisa See books….all very well done. I am on library list…for 50 Shades of Gray..sounds very intriguing.

Aggies Kitchen April 14, 2012 at 8:22 am

I hear Lisa See books are very good, need to read one soon! Thank you for sharing The Language of Flowers!

Monica April 14, 2012 at 8:47 am

You better have a box of Klenex next to you when you are reading the the art of racing in the rain… its a sweet, sweet story and OMG, did I cried buckets – its one of my favorite books.

Monica April 14, 2012 at 8:54 am

And another suggestions if you like James Patterson – check out J.D. Robb (pseudonym for Nora Roberts) but I love this series – it’s set in the future, has great characters that you learn to love and the suspense and stories are great (they are 35 books so far). Read about it: http://www.jdrobb.com/index.html

Sally April 14, 2012 at 9:40 am

I did not like “The Art of Racing in the Rain”…I know I am in the minority..I couldn’t even finish it. I just wanted to grab the dog and have him come live with us. Maybe I just didn’t”get it”, but my best friend and fellow dog person felt the same way, I guess that is why we get along so well. Hope you mention the book after you read it.
I am going to try some of the other suggestions..I too always have a book in progress.

Sally April 14, 2012 at 9:44 am

I forgot to mention a new series I have been reading by William Kent Krueger…takes place in Minnesota. There is a lot about the local Native American tribes and their folk lore. Hard to find at the used book store or library.

Paula- bell'alimento April 14, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I dream that one day I’ll have time to actually read again… sigh maybe a trip to the beach is just what I need to get some reading in ; ) Happy Weekend!

Sandy @ RE April 14, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I spent all weekend reading. I love it!

Can’t wait to dive into Jeffrey’s new book, too!

Happy weekend, friend!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. April 14, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I need to start reading more! Great post and reminder. Hope you’re well and having a great weekend!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles April 14, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Hi Aggie! Love your book posts – will have to check some of them out! I am currently reading The Red Tent, after receiving several strong recommendations for it. I’m really liking it. Hope you’re having a great weekend!

Deborah April 16, 2012 at 10:28 am

I’m the same way – reading is my escape. And maybe that’s why I’ve been so cranky lately – because I haven’t been making time to read!! I have several of these on my “to read” list!

Marly April 16, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Wow, you are an inspiration with all this reading. I usually have 2 or 3 books going at a time, but not at the moment. Your list provides plenty of great options. I can’t wait to check them out!

Janet K May 2, 2012 at 9:16 am

I just finished Unbroken by laura Hillenbrand and also the Seven year Switch by Claire Cook. I have an ambitious goal of reading 52 books this year, one a week….I am a little behind, but with summer coming….I usually have some quick reads in between the longer ones. JP is also one of my stand-bys. I LOVE food books. Erika Bauermeister’s School of Essential Ingredients is one of my favs!!!

Aggies Kitchen May 2, 2012 at 9:21 am

I love Lauren Hillenbrand…I’ll have to look for all those you mentioned! I just picked up Shades of Grey, and the first in the Study series. The Art of Racing in the Rain was GREAT. I love quick summer reads too…if there are bare feet and beaches on the cover I pick it up! :) Thanks for sharing those books and Happy reading!

Leigh May 10, 2012 at 4:21 pm

The Paris Wife is an amazing story! I finished it a couple months ago, and LOVED learning more about one of the greatest authors in history and how he started his writing career, as well as ruined his first marriage. It is a rich story, I think you’ll love it! :)

Company May 11, 2012 at 10:39 am

Thanks for sharing your reads Aggie! I am such an akin book lover and am getting really excited when get some good ideas for my next picks:) I am really amazed of your ability to keep up with so amazign receipts, pictures and also to have so diverse tastes when reading:) You are really someone I have a deep admiration for:) Hope you have lovely weekend!

Aggies Kitchen May 11, 2012 at 11:09 am

What a sweet note to open. Thank you so much!

Aggies Kitchen May 11, 2012 at 11:09 am

Hope your weekend is lovely as well! And I wanted to ask, what will you be reading this weekend?? :)