Monday…and a Zucchini Frittata

by Aggies Kitchen on January 9, 2012

Hello Monday.

Call me crazy but I have been so looking forward to this Monday. This Monday (today) my kids went back to school after a long, full, and fun winter break. We enjoyed our time together but by about Wednesday of last week I was ready for ‘normal’ and most definitely routine. I had lots of holiday clutter around the house still and I don’t know about you but clutter makes me cranky. The kiddos and I had very different agendas if you know what I mean…

So this morning, after dropping off the kids and hitting the gym for a very rushed visit, I hit Target and came home with a few essentials I’ve been in need of…including my lovely new planner and some pretty new pens.

2012…I am so ready for you now.

Let me give you a little update on the ‘diet’ front. I ran into a little snafu this weekend. That snafu was this little number, and it was extra dirty with extra olives (stuffed with blue cheese omg!!) just the way I like it.

Let me just back up to say that I am totally okay with temporarily falling off the wagon. I fell and fell hard but I’m back in business today. That martini (and a few others) was well deserved and much enjoyed after a week of eating clean and losing a few pounds. And it was Saturday night, it was one of my BFFs 40th birthday, there was a limo, and there was dancing at a kinda sorta fancy martini bar. I mean…come on. The wagon didn’t have a chance.

Good times with good friends this weekend. And after a 4 hour nap yesterday (thank you to the hubby) I am finally feeling  normal again (I am too old for late nights at martini bars people…).

Let’s talk frittatas. As far as I’m concerned, they are one of the easiest, healthiest and quickest dinners (lunch or breakfast) to put together. Since I’ve started the 17 Day Diet last week, I’ve been kind of struggling with getting enough protein in some of my meals (I like fish, but not everyday…and chicken just really isn’t my favorite thing to eat so I avoid it if I can) so I find myself eating eggs pretty often. Which is okay, I like eggs. I especially like eggs when they are prepared like this though…

This frittata was so good. I thinly sliced up a medium sized zucchini and some onion, sauteed them in a nonstick skillet with cooking spray, salt and pepper…then added the whisked eggs and a little Parmesan cheese on top. I ate it up for dinner and was completely satisfied…so delicious. I ate the whole thing on my own, (I was starved), but this would also be great for 2 people if served along side something else, like a salad.

Pin It

Zucchini and Onion Frittata
Recipe from Aggie’s Kitchen

2 eggs
1/4 – 1/3 cup egg whites
1 medium zucchini, halved then sliced thin
1/4 large sweet onion, sliced thin
salt and pepper to taste
red pepper flakes, optional
2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese (if you are following 17 Day Diet, use reduced fat or fat free, I used regular)

Serves 2, or 1 very hungry person

Preheat broiler.

Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray pan with cooking spray and add sliced zucchini and onion to pan. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and cook for a few minutes until the vegetables start to soften.

In a bowl, whisk eggs and egg whites together. Add whisked eggs to pan, swirl eggs around pan and cook (without stirring) for a couple of minutes until the bottom starts to set. Using a spatula, gently pull egg from sides of pan and let any excess egg spill over into space. Sprinkle top of egg and zucchini mixture with grated parmesan cheese and put under broiler. Let cook under broiler for about 4-5 minutes, egg is cooked, bubbly and slightly browned. Slide onto plate, sprinkle with red pepper flakes if desired and enjoy.

More frittatas:

Kale and Parmesan Frittata from Aggie’s Kitchen
Roasted Vegetable and Goat Cheese Frittata from Aggie’s Kitchen
Asparagus, Spinach and Feta Frittata from Two Peas and Their Pod
Spinach, Mushroom and Red Bell Pepper Frittata from Bev Cooks

Maria January 9, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I still need to get my 2012 calendar. It’s time to get organized! Love the frittata!

JulieD January 9, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Very cute notebook! I love that you added zucchinis to your frittata. You’re always inspiring me to change up my boring omelets. Here’s to 2012!! :)

Amy January 9, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Delicious frittata Aggie! And keep on rocking 2012–sounds like you’re doing great!

Bev Weidner January 9, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I am JUST ABOUT to head to Target to get a new planner! Yours is cute.

And that frittata does singeth to me-eth.

(thanks for linking me!)

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch January 9, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Frittatas are one of my favorite things! So yummy!

It sounds like you are doing great in 2012 and I can’t wait to follow along more of your recipes for your diet!

Erica January 9, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Routine can feel so so good! Mmm love eggs. And glad you had fun this weekend

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar January 9, 2012 at 3:12 pm

This sounds wildly yummy!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray January 9, 2012 at 4:08 pm

That looks like a delicious frittata and one FUN night!

Cassie January 9, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Yes! I love frittata, this one sounds fabulous!

Heather @ Heather's Dish January 9, 2012 at 7:17 pm

LOVE frittatas lately…so much protein and do much flavor! Also I’d it weird I’m jealous of your new planner? ;)

Culinary Cache January 9, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I have these often for dinner, and this is a great recipe!

Julia January 9, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Blue cheese stuffed olives are low carb, which means you didn’t fall off the wagon at all ;)

Deborah January 10, 2012 at 1:17 am

I need to eat fritattas more often, and this one sounds so good!!

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids January 10, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I love your blog posts. And, this frittata sounds just delicious.

Aggies Kitchen January 11, 2012 at 12:54 pm

awww, thank you so much Natalie! You made me smile!

merry jennifer January 10, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Wow – your kids *just* went back to school? Mine have been in over a week now. I think you pretty well deserved that martini, Aggie.

Allison January 10, 2012 at 10:09 pm

This looks delicious!!

Sandra's Easy Cooking January 11, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I love this recipe..beautiful and tasty!!!! Great photos too!!!
Have a wonderful night!!!

Liz January 11, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Oh, YUM! I wish I had some zucchini in my fridge….I’d make this in an instant!

Jeanette January 11, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Yum, looks like a nice healthy way to get some protein into your diet so you feel satiated.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen January 11, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Yeah limos and birthdays require martinis for sure! Love frittatas and don’t make them often enough.

Krista January 11, 2012 at 11:52 pm

I get giddy when I’m organized! And I definitely get cranky with clutter. I just can’t think when there’s lots of clutter. I start lots of mornings with eggs and a frittata would be a great start!

Cara January 12, 2012 at 10:45 am

Sounds like a fun night out with the girls! Glad you got to celebrate :) I actually wouldn’t say you fell off the wagon though. You did as we all should – balanced out your splurge by being more health-conscious for the rest of the week. Nothing wrong with that, it’s completely healthy! The frittata looks awesome, I am a big fan of eggs too. Such a great source of good quality protein, and very cost effective!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. January 12, 2012 at 5:27 pm

looks good girl!

Marla January 13, 2012 at 12:31 am

I agree clutter makes me nuts! Frittatas on the other hand make me very, very happy!

Marly January 15, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Yes – 2012 is going to be the year. Year for what? Umm, that’s another topic altogether… But whatever it is, we can do it!

Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies January 16, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Not sure I can agree with you on the Mondays front, but I definitely agree about craving a routine. Frittatas are hot right now, and I just love the addition of zucchini. One of my fave vegetables!