Slow Cooker 3-Bean Pumpkin Chili

(yep…I chipped my favorite bowl. Boo.)

I don’t know about you but I think I’m finally feeling normal again after eating like a little piggie last week over the holiday. It’s hard to resist what’s in front of you when you love food right? My problem isn’t always the ‘choices’ that I make…it’s how much of the choice (good or bad!) that I eat! Portion control has never been a strength of mine.

So this past Sunday, I declared this week to be ‘clean eating week’. When I talk about clean eating, I’m not talking about any type of diet per se…I’m talking about how I like to eat, which is as whole, natural and nutritious as possible. Basically, lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains, beans, water, and fish (or other lean proteins). It’s pretty straight forward really if you think about it, and nothing you haven’t heard before. After a few days of filling yourself up on the good stuff (and watching your portions of course), your body should be happy again. And yes, I’m resisting my coveted nightly glass of red wine this week…sigh.

I made this chili in my slow cooker a couple of weeks ago and thankfully froze a few portions in tupperware. Soup and chili can be such saviors when you’re really trying to watch what you eat. It’s a cinch to put together and you can pretty much cram as many veggies as you can tolerate in one batch. I loved this chili made with pumpkin, it was different and what made it even better for me was the dollop of Greek yogurt (or sour cream) at the end. It gave it the perfect creamy texture and flavor. My husband wasn’t such a fan of this chili, he couldn’t get over the pumpkin factor…and he also insisted on skipping the essential dollop of cream at the end…oh well, more for me in the freezer!

Hope you are having a great week!

Slow Cooker 3-Bean Pumpkin Chili
Adapted from Black Bean and Pumpkin Chili from Real Mom Kitchen

3 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 – 2 sweet yellow or orange pepper, chopped
3 cups broth (vegetable or chicken)
3 cans beans of your choice (I used mayocoba, red and pinto beans, would be great with black beans), rinsed and drained
1 can pure pumpkin
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 teaspoons oregano
good pinch salt and pepper
Greek yogurt or sour cream, for serving

Add garlic and olive oil to slow cooker and turn on high while you are chopping your vegetables. Add all ingredients to slow cooker and stir to combine. Place lid on tightly and cook for 4-5 hours or until heated through.
Taste for salt and pepper before serving.

Serve chili with a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream for a creamy finish…highly recommend it!

35 Responses to “Slow Cooker 3-Bean Pumpkin Chili”

1. Bev Weidner posted November 30, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I’m with YOU. I’ve not had anything to drink since Saturday night. But I just bought our tree/decorations today….so that might have to change for tonight. IT’S FESTIVE.

This chili makes me tremble. I need it.

2. Heather @ Heather's Dish posted November 30, 2011 at 2:51 pm

The bowl still looks beautiful even with a chip! Sounds so warm and delicious :)

3. Kalyn posted November 30, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I love the idea of Greek yogurt with this type of Chili!

4. Cassie posted November 30, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I’m feeling pretty normal, normal enough for a bowl of this. It sounds so hearty. I love vegetarian chili!

5. Jersey Girl Cooks posted November 30, 2011 at 4:42 pm

I have been eating clean this week too! Looks great!

6. Erica posted November 30, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I have pumpkin chili on my menu for next week! How could the man not love this? Looks yummmyyy!

7. Kim {Recipes To Run On} posted November 30, 2011 at 6:02 pm

We had our first snow fall, so I’m bookmarking/pinning the delicious chili and soups I can find. This sounds so good and I would have never thought about pumpkin…. can’t wait to make this! Adding it to my menu plan. :)

8. Deborah posted November 30, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I’m feeling the need to detox, too, and this sounds like the perfect way to kick start some healthy eating!!

9. Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray posted December 1, 2011 at 8:12 am

mmm nothing beats a good bowl of chili :)

10. Merry posted December 1, 2011 at 11:29 am

This looks great! And soooo easy, I’m on it! There looks like a piece of sweet potato in there? Also, I did a whole post on my chipped bowls. It’s what makes them happy :o) go with it!

11. Merry posted December 1, 2011 at 11:41 am

Here! LOL I’m doing well. I’m with you on the no wine this week :o(

12. sippitysup posted December 1, 2011 at 12:18 pm

A simple heart healthy version of chili. Just what I require right now. GREG

13. Curt posted December 1, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Awesome recipe! I would definitely go with my favorite, black beans. And then red kidneys and pintos.

14. Cookin' Canuck posted December 1, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I love that this is packed with so many veggies. Perfect for satisfying, healthy eating. That glass of red wine in the evening has started to be my treat for a day of clean eating. I’ll toast to you.

15. Megan posted December 1, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I love how easy this looks, comforting it must be, and last but not least, tasty! I can’t wait to use up another can of pumpkin on this–

16. Cara posted December 1, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Pumpkin chili is our favorite – I love the smooth, creamy texture it gives!

17. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen posted December 1, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Pumpkin and beans are so good together! I could go for a bowl of this, it’s chilly here today!

18. Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} posted December 1, 2011 at 7:24 pm

The temp has dropped dramatically the last couple of days and it’s time for my winter coat and a hot dinner. I love the addition of the pumpkin!

19. Rachel @ Baked by Rachel posted December 1, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I’m not sure how I missed this yesterday but it looks perfect! Love warm comfort food this time of year.

20. Jeanette posted December 2, 2011 at 7:34 am

I’m all for eating light and clean this time of year – love how healthy this chili is. I haven’t tried pumpkin in chili yet, but it sounds like it adds some nice flavor and texture.

21. Maria posted December 2, 2011 at 2:38 pm

It is chilly here and I would love a big bowl of this for lunch!

22. Erica Hann posted December 2, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Oh my goodness, this sounds fantastic! I wish that I had seen this recipe earlier so that I could have it for dinner tonight!

23. kelley posted December 2, 2011 at 9:34 pm

It’s so tough to eat clean this time of year, isn’t it? I’m sorry your bowl chipped :)

24. Mike posted January 8, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I saw this recipie a few months ago and bookmarked it and just on a whim decided to make it today. Let me tell you it was AWESOME! I had to pry myself away from the crock pot in order to save some for this weeks dinner at work. Both my stomach and I thank you for posting this!

• Aggies Kitchen posted January 9, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Mike, thank you for letting me know! I’m so glad you enjoyed it!

25. peg posted September 23, 2013 at 5:09 pm

i just used this recipe, and I wondered: Why in the photo does it look like chunks of pumpkin, but only the canned in the recipe? Sooooo, since i had a small pumpkin that came in our farm share… I cubed that up, and sauted the onions peppers garlic, til soft, then added the pumpkin cubes and browned it up a bit for flavor, and then made the recipe but did it on the stovetop. Adds a nice chunky feel to a nice recipe.

• Aggies Kitchen posted September 27, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Great idea adding pumpkin chunks! The chunks of pumpkin you see in the pics are actually the bell peppers (orange and yellow!) and sweet potatoes! Such a great fall soup. Thanks so much for sharing your version!

1. Pingback: Dinner Tonight: Slow Cooker 3-Bean Pumpkin Chili | Family Kitchen

2. Pingback: Slow Cooker Roundup | Baked by Rachel

3. Pingback: 35 Chili Recipes For Fall | Aggie's Kitchen

4. Pingback: 50+ Healthy Winter Squash Recipes - Power Foods - Jeanette's Healthy Living

5. Pingback: Teacher Ideas | 10 Quick Pumpkin and Apple Recipes for Busy Teachers

6. Pingback: receipes | Annotary

7. Pingback: 17 Crock Pot Vegetarian Chili Recipes (+ 5 Bonus Meaty Chili Recipes for the Carnivores) | Kitchen Treaty

8. Pingback: Slow Cooker Lentil and Quinoa ChiliAggie's Kitchen