Black Bean Quesadillas

Quesadillas are pretty much my go to meal on nights when I don’t feel like cooking much. They are easy, and easy to adjust to please everyone. My kids like theirs with just cheese, my husband likes some sort of meat in his and I love mine just like this…beans, a little veg and cheese, and lots of cilantro.

I recently came across this super simple recipe on epicurious.com and I have been craving them ever since. When I made them I served them up alongside a deconstructed salad of romaine, salsa, tomatoes, and sour cream and it was perfect. You can easily please anyone who would like a little meat in their meal by adding in some leftover shredded chicken with the bean mixture before cooking.

For those of you celebrating Lent, this would be a great meal to serve up on your meatless Fridays.

Enjoy!

Black Bean Quesadillas
Recipe from epicurious.com

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 8 oz block monteray jack or cheddar cheese, shredded (or use pre-shredded bag of taco cheese)
1 cup chopped cilantro, roughly chopped
1 white onion, chopped
8 flour tortillas

For serving:
shredded romaine lettuce
chopped tomatoes
salsa
hot sauce
sour cream

In a bowl, combine beans, cheese, cilantro and onion. Set aside.
Place tortilla in heated non stick skillet sprayed with non stick spray. Spoon mixture evenly over half of tortilla and fold remaining half over mixture. Lightly press down using your spatula. Cook for a few minutes until bottom of tortilla is golden brown, then carefully flip and cook for a few more minutes until tortilla is golden brown and cheese is melted. Cut into 3 or 4 wedges and serve quesadillas with salsa, salad and spanish rice.

Congrats to Alison and Brooke for winning the “Create your Everyday Escape” giveway from Otria Greek Yogurt Veggie Dips! Thank you to all who entered the giveaway, I loved reading your comments … and it sounds like a lot of us need an escape of some sort. :) Wish I could have given everyone a spa gift card!

37 Responses to “Black Bean Quesadillas”

1. Lori @ RecipeGirl posted March 9, 2011 at 10:02 am

Delicious. This is the sort of thing I love to have for lunch… or when it’s just me for dinner! I love to add goat cheese & mango in there too!

2. Mushrooms Canada posted March 9, 2011 at 10:04 am

Looks delicious! I love all the melty cheese. You could also add some thick slices of portabella mushrooms to add a “meaty” texture!
    – Brittany

3. Erica posted March 9, 2011 at 10:16 am

That looks great- like a yummy, restaurant quality meal! I love black beans in quesadillas….and really all Mexican food!

4. bellini posted March 9, 2011 at 10:31 am

Black bean quesadillas are my favourite whether I make them myself or have them at my favourite restaurant.

5. Fallon posted March 9, 2011 at 10:47 am

This sounds excellent. So cheesy!

6. melissa @IWasBornToCook posted March 9, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Quesadillas are great and yes, definitely easy! Yours look delicious!

7. Amy's Cooking Adventures posted March 9, 2011 at 1:06 pm

What a great meatless option. i love that you added beans, it makes them much more of a meal than cheese quesadillas!

8. fittingbackin posted March 9, 2011 at 2:42 pm

This IS a great meatless option! Love all of the cheese, too – fabulous!

9. Cajun Chef Ryan posted March 9, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Perfect option for Lent or any time of year!

10. Elle posted March 9, 2011 at 3:57 pm

We just had quesadillas last night! I love that they’re a fast, tasty way to satisfy everyone’s taste. I should have added black beans to mine, too!

11. muppy posted March 9, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Your quesadillas look delicious. Black beans are not readily available here in sydney so I always have to substitute.

12. JulieD posted March 9, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Aggie, this looks so good…I need to bookmark this!

13. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. posted March 10, 2011 at 9:53 am

These look great! My kids would love them too!

14. Cristina posted March 10, 2011 at 10:06 am

Love this quesadilla, so healthy and beautifully caramelized on the outside. Fantastic as a meal, snack or nibbles. This may be dinner tonight! ;)

15. Megan posted March 10, 2011 at 11:31 am

Your pictures have me drooling. Now I have a craving too.

16. Megan posted March 10, 2011 at 11:42 am

I’m IN LOVE with quesadillas of any kind. These look so good!

17. natalie (the sweets life) posted March 10, 2011 at 4:03 pm

yum! saw a similar recipe on another blog today but with pineapple too! Now i’m craving quesadillas!

18. Lora @cakeduchess posted March 10, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Hi Aggie-These look amazing! I would eat mine the way you like yours and now I know what to make tomorrow for dinner!!Thank you for your sweet words and support:)xxoo

19. Maria posted March 11, 2011 at 9:45 am

One of my favorite meals!

20. Hannah posted March 12, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I love quesadillas, and these look delicious!

21. Molly at Duchess of Fork posted March 12, 2011 at 11:25 pm

These look great, Aggie! I could eat Mexican food every day. I usually make quesadillas, tacos or enchiladas every week. I just can’t get enough.

22. Dawn Hutchins posted March 14, 2011 at 10:23 am

Aggie, I love those meals where it can be versatile to suit each family member’s taste. Tonight I think I’m going to do a big salad with tofu for me and chicken for my hubby and daughter on the grill. How did your tilapia come out?

23. Kiran posted March 14, 2011 at 11:57 am

I love versatile recipes like this. I could sub any ingredient yet it would be delish. Thanks for sharing Aggie :)

24. Healthy&Homemade posted March 15, 2011 at 2:08 am

These look insanely good. I’m definitely craving Mexican food now!!

25. Lauren from Lauren's Latest posted March 15, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I love these kinds of meals that come together quickly! And you can always omit or add what you like. YUM.

26. mayajo posted March 16, 2011 at 8:30 am

Aggie, this is simply amazing, never thought of this one. thanks for the recipe!

27. Orly @yumivore posted March 17, 2011 at 1:42 am

These looks so incredibly tasty! Wish I could have a bite.

28. Jamie posted March 18, 2011 at 11:45 pm

I know what I’m making for dinner next week. A great meatless meal and I love how simple and quick it is. Thanks for sharing and the inspiration.

29. Anil Patel posted March 21, 2011 at 8:55 pm

hi aggie…. great recipe tastes beautiful and i cooked for my wife!!! (denise that goes to spinning with you)

30. HerpDerp posted April 24, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I put the beanzes!

31. Alan Rustwater posted May 10, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Nice quick student-friendly recipe here. One issue though- the tortilla always ends up a bit on the crispy side when I do them. Any tips on avoiding this?

• Aggies Kitchen posted May 11, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Are you cooking them in a skillet? Maybe try a lower heat? I try to keep an eye on mine if I don’t want them to get too crispy, and remove them as soon as I see the cheese starting to melt. Good luck!!

32. Emily posted February 26, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Fixed these tonight for dinner & they were soooo good.

• Aggies Kitchen posted February 27, 2012 at 11:36 am

that’s great to hear! thanks for the feedback, one of our favorites for sure.

1. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday 3/28/11 « the cooking nurse

2. Pingback: Garden Black Bean Frittata and a little more motivation for you | Aggie's Kitchen

3. Pingback: Weekly Meal Plan: Quick and Easy Recipes - Mom Favorites