Mediterranean Stuffed Mushrooms

IMG_3020

I love making these little bite sized apps.  These mushrooms are so full of flavor and look so pretty on a plate when serving them at a party.  Don’t they look nice all lined up…

IMG_3023

What’s great about making these stuffed mushrooms (or any stuffed mushroom) is that you can do most of the prep the day before.  That makes things so much easier when it comes time to the tedious part of actually stuffing the little caps before time to cook.  Once you’ve cooked up the stuffing, it can be stored in a container in the fridge until you are ready.  I’ve made heartier stuffed mushrooms in the past stuffed with meat, but these are a nice light vegetarian version that would be great at any get together.

Mediterranean Stuffed Mushrooms

Recipe from Aggie’s Kitchen

(printable recipe)

2 8 oz packages whole mushrooms, stems removed and chopped small for filling
1 TB olive oil
1 red bell pepper, chopped small
1 onion, chopped small
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
1 tsp Greek seasoning
1/2 cup panko (crunchy Japanese bread crumbs, can be found in Asian aisle in black box or now in breadcrumb aisle, look for Ian’s or Progresso brands)
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a non stick skillet. Add red pepper, onion, mushroom stems, garlic and Greek seasoning and saute 5-8 minutes until soft. Add chopped spinach to pan and cook until spinach is wilted and cooked down. Set aside to cool. In a medium bowl, combine sauteed vegetables with panko, feta and parmesan.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line up mushroom caps in a baking sheet sprayed with non stick spray. Season mushrooms lightly with salt and pepper. Carefully stuff each mushroom cap with stuffing. Place in oven and cook for approximately 20-25 minutes until mushrooms are browned.

Note:  depending on size of mushroom caps, you may have leftover stuffing.  Use your leftover stuffing on larger portabella mushroom caps for a quick weeknight meatless meal.

Have a great weekend!

IMG_2691

36 Responses to “Mediterranean Stuffed Mushrooms”

1. Jenn's Food Journey posted October 22, 2010 at 9:26 am

Oh YUM!! Looks look and sound incredible!!!

2. Kim @ Quit Eating Out posted October 22, 2010 at 9:58 am

I’m planning a dinner for 12 tomorrow night and was looking for an appetizer… these sound perfect! Have a wonderful weekend.

3. natalie (the sweets life) posted October 22, 2010 at 10:09 am

these sound fabulous! We love stuffed mushrooms and recently tried a mexican version that were wonderful (http://www.thesweetslife.com/2010/09/mexican-stuffed-mushrooms.html). I can’t wait to try these next!

4. sally posted October 22, 2010 at 10:34 am

These look fantastic! Perfect for a party!

5. fittingbackin posted October 22, 2010 at 10:48 am

These are beautiful! There is just nothing better than a stuffed mushroom – I swear I could make a meal out of these little guys! Great recipe.

6. Eliana posted October 22, 2010 at 11:07 am

Girl these look glorious and like the perfect party snack. I’ll take one dozen!

7. Erica posted October 22, 2010 at 11:46 am

CUTE picture of the kiddos! This appetizer makes me wish I liked mushrooms. Beautiful stuffing. Hope you have a great weekend too

8. Kerstin posted October 22, 2010 at 11:22 pm

Mmm, I love how much stuffing your piled into them! They sound super tasty and addicting!

9. Pamela posted October 23, 2010 at 8:07 am

Looks like another winner, Aggie. These would be terrific little apps for the holidays.

10. Mandi posted October 23, 2010 at 9:19 am

Wow, those look amazing! I LOVE mushrooms, and never thought about doing a Greek style stuffing before. Can’t wait to try it!

11. Kim @ Quit Eating Out posted October 23, 2010 at 9:36 am

Thanks so much for linking up this weekend! Please be sure to include a link back to Saturday Swap in your post. Have a super weekend!!!

12. leslie posted October 23, 2010 at 5:46 pm

OMG..you son looks JUST like you!!!! Adorable kiddos.
    Love the mushrooms. They are FAB-U-LOUS!!!!

13. Rhondi posted October 23, 2010 at 7:17 pm

These look amazing! They would be a perfect Thanksgiving appetizer. Our family comes over early to help fry up the turkey and watch the Cowboy game.

14. Kelly posted October 23, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Thank you for this great recipe! I have all the ingredients on hand and going to make a batch tomorrow.

15. Liz posted October 24, 2010 at 9:24 pm

I haven’t met a stuffed mushroom I didn’t love. This one looks sure to please too!

16. Cajun Chef Ryan posted October 25, 2010 at 9:44 am

Aggie,
    These mushrooms are a great finger food item!

17. Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen posted October 25, 2010 at 7:31 pm

These sure do look great Aggie!

18. Emily {Frilly Details} posted October 25, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Oh yum!!! Those look incredible! Wish I could eat a couple right now! I’m off to check out your recipe for garlic feta dip. That sounds divine!

19. eatingRD posted October 26, 2010 at 1:33 am

wow, these look perfect for entertaining! love this version :)

20. Gree posted October 27, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I love stuffed mushrooms and i appreciate that this recipe has a little more nutrition than the typical stuffed mushroom, they look delicious!

21. patsyk posted October 31, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I adore stuffed mushrooms and these would be perfect for our next get together!

22. Kirstin posted November 3, 2010 at 10:38 am

Yummy!!!!!

23. Josphine Olivarres posted November 8, 2010 at 7:59 am

You can find some pretty cool greek recipes here , if you want to take a look.

24. Northern Virginia Contractors posted November 16, 2010 at 5:54 am

Your website looks fabulous. Being a blog author personally, I truly value the time you took in writing this post.

25. JulieD posted November 21, 2010 at 12:13 pm

These look soo good! I love mushrooms. I wish I could get my husband to eat mushrooms…I would make tons more recipes. I love your photographs. Do you use natural light or a certain kind of light?

• Aggies Kitchen posted November 21, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Thank you Julie! I love mushrooms. :) I used natural light for these photos and most of my others…I have a light kit but haven’t set it up for “winter” yet. I haven’t learned to use it very well yet.

26. Lacey posted June 19, 2011 at 3:01 am

I made these today, couldnt find the panko so I did them without it, still so tasty! and I did have a lot of leftover stuffing so Im gonna do the portabello suggestion for dinner this coming week. :)

27. Laura (NourishandBloom) posted October 20, 2011 at 1:27 pm

These look SO good! I love stuffed mushrooms and the Greek twist will make them so savory and delicious! Do you know what herbs are in Greek flavoring? Just wondering if I can fake it because I haven’t purchased that one. Thanks! : )

28. Robyn posted October 20, 2011 at 8:26 pm

This recipe sounds delicious. I’m thinking of using it for a baby shower in a couple of weeks. I don’t have “Greek seasoning”. What would you recommend using in its place?
    Thank you!

1. Pingback: Mushroom Love, Breast Cancer Awareness & a Giveaway | Aggie's Kitchen

2. Pingback: Stuffed Endive with Walnuts and Honey Recipe | reluctantentertainer.com Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

3. Pingback: Menu Ideas for Hosting a Mediterranean-style Summer Party!