Chipotle Salmon Tacos

by Aggies Kitchen on May 10, 2010

IMG_0572

I’ve been feeling a bit M.I.A. lately…lots of little things going on, enough to keep me away from here I guess.  I’ve still been cooking, just not taking as many pretty pictures…hence the lack of posts and recipes.

Thankfully I got some nice pictures of these babies.  I made these Chipotle Salmon Tacos a couple of weeks ago, shortly after receiving a nice package of frozen fish from the Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute.  How happy was I when they asked if I would try out some of their Cook It Frozen techniques with the fish they sent me?  I’ve tried two of their techniques so far…broiling and grilling like I did in this recipe.  Both times the fish came out wonderfully, which I will admit I was a little surprised.  I didn’t think you could cook fish straight from the freezer.  I was afraid it would turn out soggy, but they cooked up just as nicely as if they were fully defrosted.  I even downloaded their cool little app to my iPhone

IMG_0566

Anyway…back to the recipe.  We loved these tacos.  The chipotle rub had a nice kick to it…just how I like it.  They were a perfect dinner on a warm Saturday night, after a dip in the pool.  Not sure if your weather is there just yet, but we’ve definitely entered into “summer” here in Florida.

IMG_0576

The kiddos enjoyed their plainer version of the tacos…instead of the chipotle rub, I seasoned their salmon with a fish seasoning that had a little garlic, dill, salt and pepper in the mix.  They ate theirs with a little shredded cabbage, cheese and lime juice.  They requested that their photos be taken too….it’s funny how normal the act of taking pictures of food is to them.  Makes me laugh when they bust out their Fisher Price camera to take pictures of some of our baked goods.  :)

IMG_0585

I will admit I have been surprised with their more adventurous approach to dinner lately…I’ve been taking away the kiddie option at dinner a.k.a. second dinner for me to cook (unless it’s just obvious that they won’t eat it), and it has really been working out for us.  Thank goodness!!

IMG_0598

IMG_0593

Chipotle Salmon Tacos

Recipe from Aggie’s Kitchen

(printable recipe)

1lb frozen salmon (watch video of this method of cooking or see directions below…or if using already defrosted salmon see Note below)

2 teaspoon chipotle powder

1 juicy lime

salt and pepper to taste

1/2 teaspoon brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon oregano (Mexican oregano if you have it)

1 teaspoon olive or vegetable oil

flour or corn tortillas, for serving

IMG_0544

Taco Fixings:

prepared guacamole or sliced avocado

shredded cabbage or cole slaw mix

cilantro

crumbled queso fresco

thin sliced white onion

lime wedges

In a small bowl, combine chipotle powder, lime juice, salt, pepper, brown sugar, oregano and oil to make a paste.  Set aside.

Heat grill to 400ºF

Rinse seafood under COLD water to remove any ice glaze; pat dry with paper towel .  Tear an 18-inch wide sheet of foil so it is 4-inches longer than the seafood .  Spray-coat the dull side of foil and place seafood on foil, skin side down .  Brush both sides of fish with olive or vegetable oil.  Bring sides of foil together and fold over several times to seal; roll up ends to form a packet.  Place packet on grill, seam side down, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes .  Remove packet from grill; open and brush or rub on chipotle paste (both sides).  Crimp foil loosely to close and return packet to grill, seam side up.

IMG_0541

Cook an additional 8 to 10 minutes.  Remove from heat just as soon as seafood is opaque throughout.

Note:  If using already fresh defrosted salmon, skip rinsing and place salmon into foil packet.  Rub seasoning over both sides of fish and seal foil packet.  Place on grill and cook on one side for 5 minutes, turn over and cook other side for additional 3-4 minutes.  Check for doneness.

To serve:

Spread prepared guacamole or smear a little avocado on tortillas.  Crumble salmon over guacamole or avocado and pile on the fixings!  Squeeze lime over fish and veggies and take a big messy bite! :)

IMG_0611

bellini valli May 10, 2010 at 6:29 pm

You know how I love salmon so these would be perfect dinner fare around here Aggie. Thanks for sharing this great idea:D

Erica May 10, 2010 at 7:02 pm

oh my goodness- your daughter is looking more and more like you! She is adorable! As is your son!! Cooking straight from frozen sounds awesome! I’m all for anything that saves time. Another great recipe. Happy (belated) Mother’s Day!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie May 10, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Those look divine! I can’t wait til pool weather here in the midwest. It’s coming close though!

carrian May 10, 2010 at 8:12 pm

bah!! It definitely is NOT summer here. It’s still snowing. I hate it!

Cara May 10, 2010 at 8:42 pm

I never knew you could cook fish straight from the freezer either, but then again, it thaws so quickly under running water that I would never really think of doing that anyway! But, those tacos sound fantastic and I’m really jealous that you got free salmon!

Liz - Meal Makeover Mom May 10, 2010 at 9:37 pm

The tacos look great … and so easy. Your kids are adorable. You’re lucky they still pose for pics. Mine are starting to tire of all the blog-related attention!

HoneyB May 11, 2010 at 4:53 am

How great that your kids gave these the thumbs up! I have yet to try fish tacos….going to have to do so SOON. When I mentioned it to Grumpy and showed him a photo recently he did not say no! :)

patsy May 11, 2010 at 9:52 am

That looks fantastic! I never would have thought you could cook fish straight from the freezer… I even have some salmon in the freezer right now that I’ve been dreading having to defrost before cooking. May have to try your method.

teresa May 11, 2010 at 10:12 am

so gorgeous! this is my kind of dinner!

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen May 11, 2010 at 11:58 am

Aggie, those look fantastic! Perfect summer food!

pegasuslegend May 11, 2010 at 6:01 pm

I cook mine right from the freezer onto the grill all the time, love salmon we eat it twice a week…so good for you….this is quite different and will have to give it a try looks like the kids loved it as well~ bonus :)

Maris (In Good Taste) May 11, 2010 at 7:48 pm

These sound delicious and it looks like your kiddos had tons of fun eating them, too. I’m jealous of your pool weather here in rainy Chicago!

Leslie May 11, 2010 at 8:26 pm

I hear ya girl..I have been in a blog funk too!
That is awesome your kiddos ate!!!!

Bridgett May 11, 2010 at 10:23 pm

You always have the best ideas for fish recipes. I could easily get used to these tacos, especially kicked up with the chipotle. Your little one is darling and a big kudos to you that your kiddos ate these. I am so impressed.

Mags May 11, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Beautiful photos and lovely recipe. Gotta love anything with chipotle!

Jamie May 11, 2010 at 10:49 pm

You know how I love my salmon. Interesting way to make it from the frozen state. Those tacos look really good. Sammy and Gina are looking adorable as usual. And how awesome they like those fish tacos.

carla May 12, 2010 at 9:15 am

ohh… these are going to get added to my list of recipes!! yummy :)

Food-G May 12, 2010 at 2:46 pm

This sounds scrumptious! Especially with the chipotle. I’ve tried the “cook it frozen” techniques too– surprisingly good results, huh?

ADORABLE pics. Love the 2-thumbs-up!

fittingbackin May 12, 2010 at 4:39 pm

oh YUM! It’s officially been too long since i’ve had salmon – it looks amazing!!

Andrea May 16, 2010 at 10:43 am

Great photos and yummy recipe!

Paula May 17, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Oh. My. Lord. I’ll take 14 of them, please. Now. YUM!

Kirstin May 19, 2010 at 8:38 pm

We love salmon so I think I’d like to try these!!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 21, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Salmon is one of my favorite foods! Those tacos look AMAZING. I’ve been on a major taco kick later. Definitely making these. Definitely. :D

Jenn

gloria May 23, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Excellent, looks delicious. Thx for sharing.

all about point and shoot digital camera September 13, 2010 at 11:03 am

Hi, I have been pursuing your weblog for few weeks and I come across it interesting. Just how do i subscribe it?

Mission Foods Outreach Team July 23, 2012 at 6:03 pm

YUM! This is a great one, thanks for posting.
Take a look at the Hawaiian Fish Tacos on our Eat Interesting blogger/recipe contest. http://bit.ly/MissionEnterToWin
We asked some of our fave food bloggers to give a “little twist” to Mexican classics. We hope you like ‘em!
-Mission Outreach Team