Red Wine Pear Crisp with Spiced Streusel

by Aggies Kitchen on October 13, 2009

PearCrispOne

Another month…another gathering of the Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club.  This month one of our members suggested the theme, Cooking with Wine.  Now if you know me, you know that got me excited.  I love my wine.

There were so many great Cooking Light recipes using wine to choose from!  I really wish this “club” wasn’t virtual…I would love to have each of these wonderful ladies cooking these dishes for me!

Cheese Fondue with Apples - Shelby from Grumpy’s Honeybunch

French Onion SoupHelene from La Cuisine d’Helene

Baked Rice with Butternut SquashVal from More than Burnt Toast

Salmon with White Wine-Mustard SauceJamie from Mom’s Cooking Club

Red Wine Pear Crisp with Spiced StreuselAggie from Aggie’s Kitchen

PearCrispThree

I’m not a huge dessert eater (not saying I don’t like dessert…just don’t have it often) but when I do I tend to make something with fruit.  I like fruit cobblers/crisps/crumbles…whatever you want to call them.  I like them because they are easy to make, usually without too much fuss, and for the most part they are on the healthy side.  This pear crisp was just that.  I’ve never made a crisp/cobbler/crumble with pears, so I was looking forward to trying this.  Unfortunately, I couldn’t find Bosc pears to make this with (as the recipe calls for), so I had to settle for Bartlett and I left the skins on (it may not look as pretty but the skin is where the nutrients are!).  And instead of the whipped topping I opted for a dollop of vanilla Greek yogurt.

I don’t have to tell you how delicious my kitchen was smelling while the pears were simmering in the wine and then baking in the oven with the spiced streusel.  It is a great fall dessert to treat yourself with.

The recipe can be found here on Cooking Light’s site.

PearCrispTwo

Jamie October 13, 2009 at 8:02 am

Aggie,
What a great looking and sounding dessert. I also love fruit desserts but never had one with wine. I’m sure it added some wonderful flavor to those pears. Thanks for “bringing” to our supper club.

HoneyB October 13, 2009 at 8:21 am

That looks delicious! Grumpy would have loved this dessert….pears are one of his favorites! Thanks for the virtual dessert…I too wish it could be “real!”

Bellini Valli October 13, 2009 at 8:28 am

This is an amazing seasonal and fragrant dessert Aggie. This made a perfect ending to our virtual supper.

Lynn October 13, 2009 at 11:12 am

Oh, that looks like the perfect fall dessert. Well, it’s a tie with pumpkin pie. It’s definitely going on my “to make” list.

Hélène October 13, 2009 at 2:19 pm

That must have smelled so good. Looks delicious.

teresa October 13, 2009 at 2:47 pm

oh this is perfect for fall, how lovely!

Jessie October 13, 2009 at 2:47 pm

oh my that looks so pretty and delicious! I am new to your blog by the way, Honey B was the one who showed me the way! :)

Cooking Light October 13, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Wow – what a beautiful autumn dessert. Nice photos, Aggie. Love that you found a dessert to fit perfectly with this month’s wine theme.

April Marie (Girl Japan) October 13, 2009 at 7:06 pm

I Know I tell you this, time and time again, but I really love your plates!!!

Erica October 14, 2009 at 10:56 am

This looks better than good- book marking! Perfect to take to my mom’s for a dinner we have coming up

Erica October 14, 2009 at 11:41 am

PS I think I got the google reader thing figured out- thank you SO much for emailing me ;)

healthy ashley October 15, 2009 at 9:24 am

Wow! I think anyone you served this to would ve very impressed :-)

Hillary October 16, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Beautiful fall recipe! You should submit this recipe to Recipe4Living.com! :)