Thai Curry Spaghetti Squash

The other night on Facebook, a gal from my gym posted an update that she was making Thai Curry Spaghetti Squash. I instantly got a craving. It seemed like a really unusual pairing but itAdd Image really hit the spot with me. I love the spice and creaminess of curry…and love even more the health benefits of spaghetti squash. I couldn’t wait to make it.

The beauty of social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter is the amount of access you have to other people all at once. I posted my need for a Thai Curry recipe and my blogging buddy Ninette from Big Bold Beautiful Food gave me a simple recipe to follow. I luckily had everything I needed on hand. In case you haven’t been over to her blog, you really should. She has an amazing talent of making everything she makes look mouthwatering. She’s always cooking different types of food and you will most definitely leave her site feeling hungry

So using some leftover London Broil and vegetables I had in the fridge, I whipped up a delicious coconut curry sauce and served it with spaghetti squash. Craving satisfied.

I can’t wait to make this again!! Thank you Ninette!!

Thai Curry Spaghetti Squash

Recipe inspired by Ninette Enrique, Big Bold Beautiful Food

1 spaghetti squash, cooked and “shredded”
1-2 TB red pepper infused oil or olive oil with pinch of red pepper flakes
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
London Broil, sliced thin and cut in small pieces
1 zucchini, quarter chopped
1 squash, quarter chopped
1-2 TB red curry paste
2-3 tsp fish sauce
1 TB brown sugar
1 can lite coconut milk
juice of 1 lime
2-3 scallions, chopped
chopped cilantro

Heat oil with red pepper in a large nonstick skillet, cook onion and garlic for a few minutes until soft. Add London Broil pieces and veggies to pan and saute. Add 1 or 2 TB curry paste to meat and veggies and mix together. Add a few splashes (about 2-3 tsp) of fish sauce and brown sugar to pan. Mix together, then add a can of coconut milk (and some water if necessary). Simmer a few minutes or until your meat is tender. Add fresh squeezed lime juice, cut scallions and chopped cilantro. Serve over spaghetti squash.

On a side note…I wanted to share with you an article on our Virtual Supper Club that was featured on Cooking Light’s Test Kitchen Secrets blog!

Share/Save/Bookmark

30 Responses to “Thai Curry Spaghetti Squash”

1. Erica posted June 29, 2009 at 10:33 am

Very yum! I always have my spaghetti sauce kind of plain and boring with red sauce- I love this idea of mixing it up. Very cool article!!! Hope you enjoyed the weekend

2. Barbara Bakes posted June 29, 2009 at 12:27 pm

I'm putting this on the list to make this week. What would be a good substitute for fish sauce, since I'm allergic. Chicken broth?

3. Aggie posted June 29, 2009 at 12:42 pm

Barbara,
    I've read on this before and seen chicken stock or soy sauce as a good substitute for fish sauce. I think you need something that is a little salty. Let me know how it turns out! :)

If anyone knows a good sub for fish sauce please post! Thx!

4. finsmom posted June 29, 2009 at 2:59 pm

What a tasty way to use spaghetti squash! I am always looking for ways to use this yummy and healthy veggie!

5. Tessa posted June 29, 2009 at 3:38 pm

I have the same pair of tongs as you! Haha. This looks very interesting, something I wouldn't ordinarily try but I might just have to now :) Social networking sites have their problems but I love being able to communicate with people you usually never would have the opportunity to!

6. Bob posted June 29, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Looks fantastic. I'm not a big Indian curry fan, but I've enjoyed some Thai ones. I think it's the coconut milk.

7. Mary posted June 29, 2009 at 5:09 pm

This is a wonderful way to use spaghetti squash. I love the flavors you've pulled together in this recipe. Thanks for sharing them with us. Have a wonderful day…Mary

8. Kerstin posted June 29, 2009 at 5:13 pm

What a tasty thai curry, it looks so good! I still need to try spaghetti squash!

9. The Duo Dishes posted June 29, 2009 at 5:23 pm

It's a great sub for anyone who wants to avoid pasta. We haven't tried it yet, but it's great to read so many different recipes using spaghetti squash.

10. the ungourmet posted June 29, 2009 at 5:26 pm

I love this idea! I love Thai food and this is a terrific use for the squash. Nice!

11. Justin posted June 29, 2009 at 6:05 pm

i love spaghetti sqaush, but I don't know many ways to prepare it. this sounds really good.

12. Leslie posted June 30, 2009 at 1:52 am

I have never had spaghetti squash beofore. I suppose I should give it a whirl

13. HoneyB posted June 30, 2009 at 9:48 am

This sounds and looks like some yummy comfort food!

14. Stacey posted June 30, 2009 at 11:57 am

Delicious! I LOVE thai… that looks so good with the spaghetti squash!

15. harpervalley posted June 30, 2009 at 5:50 pm

I'm totally making this.

16. Melissa posted June 30, 2009 at 8:44 pm

I love the spice and creaminess of curry…

Amen sista.

You just knew I was going to jump on this one. And to do it with spaghetti squash? Novel and tasty, I'm sure.

I visited Ninette's blog just now and it's lovely. I dig that about Facebook too – just feeling more connected to some of my food blog friends (like you!), especially if we go days without posting or commenting on blogs. I still get to talk to them and in a much more personal way to boot.

17. teresa posted June 30, 2009 at 11:08 pm

This sounds so good! I love the addition of coconut milk!

18. Mary Ann posted July 1, 2009 at 10:44 pm

This looks so good. I love spaghetti squash and the fact that you can still get it this time of year. I love red curry paste too. One of my favorites!

19. danazia posted July 2, 2009 at 5:01 am

OMG! I'm actually drooling. My husband was rubbing my shoulders why we were drooling over food pron and this was the recipe that made both of us thing about running out for Thai food. (of course, it's 10pm and it is an hour to the closest restaurant.) Thank you Aggie. Hope you have a great fourth!

20. Ninette posted July 7, 2009 at 10:49 am

Hey Aggie, thanks for the shout out! I'm glad I could help. Soy sauce is the best substitute for fish sauce.

21. Cara posted July 9, 2009 at 3:33 pm

Spaghetti squash is a favorite of mine and I haven't made it in quite a while, Sounds great with curry!

22. OK Dude posted July 10, 2009 at 1:46 pm

That looks so good! I can't wait to make it! Thank you!

23. Meg posted October 22, 2009 at 10:39 am

I made this last night, and it was a major success! I substituted the squash and zucchini for eggplant and delicata squash, since that’s what was in my cupboards, but you really can’t go wrong with thai curry! Next time I think I’ll add jalapenos or chilies to add a little extra spice, but it was still delicious! Thanks for a great spaghetti squash idea that I never would have thought of myself!

24. Jessie M posted December 2, 2009 at 11:54 pm

I’m so glad to have stumbled upon your blog. I know this is an old post, but I was looking for something new and different to do with spaghetti squash & I came across this post.Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I’ve been looking around & I’m excited that I found you. I’m always looking for good food blogs with interesting dishes. Your photos are great too. I was also happy to discover Ninette’s Big Bold Beautiful Food blog also. I’ll be subscribing to both & reading regularly. Thanks again for sharing.

25. Mark n Terri posted September 26, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Awesome…funny, almost two years since the last post…I got the squash from the store and thought, “I want to make a curry from this and some mild sausage with fennel!” The only problem is, I still need help with my curry sauce. Minus the fish sauce, this post hits the spot perfectly.

26. Jess posted April 22, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Anyone know a good substitute for the fish sauce for a vegetarian??

• Aggies Kitchen posted April 23, 2013 at 10:18 am

Hi Jess, I personally don’t know, but I googled it and found this recipe for vegetarian/vegan fish sauce, you may have to look hard for the ingredients, maybe at an Asian market? http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-vegan-fish-sauce-130535
      Also found this on About.com:
      What Can Vegetarians use as a Substitute for Fish Sauce?:
      Vegetarian fish sauce does exist. So far I’ve yet to find it in a Thai food store, but nearly all the Vietnamese food stores carry it. Better substitutes (in my opinion) are Golden Mountain sauce , or just plain soy sauce. When I cook Thai for my vegetarian sister, I use a combination of these two sauces, and the food always turns out wonderfully. For Golden Mountain Sauce you will need to shop at a good Asian food store (see link for more on this ‘secret’ Thai ingredient).

27. jazmine posted April 23, 2013 at 12:06 am

Just made this today minus the London Broil. Wow it is delicious. I will make this again and again.

• Aggies Kitchen posted April 23, 2013 at 10:15 am

Great!! Thanks! I haven’t made it in a while, and now you have me craving it again :)

1. Pingback: 50 Ways To Cook Spaghetti Squash | Aggie's Kitchen