Ellie Krieger’s Baked Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta

Today is my second week cooking up an Ellie Krieger recipe as part of the Craving Ellie in my Belly group. I am so happy to have finally bought this cookbook (and joined this group!), it’s full of recipes that I would make any day, and knowing that they are good for me and delicious makes them even better.

This week’s chosen recipe is Baked Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta chosen by Pamela over at Cookies with Boys. I loved it. The recipe calls for using canned tomatoes but I had some really nice tomatoes my grandfather brought me from his Farmer’s Market so I used those instead. I did find that there was still a little too much liquid after it was all cooked up, so next time I will cook it on the stove longer to try to evaporate most of the liquid before putting it in the oven to bake. I also added some kalamata olives, not to my husbands liking, but I couldn’t help myself.

I served the baked shrimp with some whole wheat orzo (very excited to find whole wheat orzo!). It was a great light meal and I will definitely be making it again!

Baked Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta
Recipe from Ellie Krieger, Healthy Appetite with Ellie Krieger

(my changes are shown in italics)

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups
2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
2 (14.5-ounce) cans of no-salt-added diced tomatoes, with their juices (I used 2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped, plus a little less than 1/4 cup water)
1/4 cup finely minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon finely minced fresh dill (I substituted fresh basil)
1 tsp dried oregano
pinch of red pepper flakes
handful of kalamata olives
1 1/4 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 3 ounces)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Heat the oil in an oven proof skillet over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer for about 5 minutes, until the tomato juices thicken.

Remove from the heat. Stir in the parsley, dill (or basil), dried oregano and shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the feta over the top. Bake until the shrimp are cooked through and cheese melts, about 12 minutes.

Serve with orzo or pasta.

Today is my little girl’s 2nd birthday!!
I can’t believe how fast time goes by…she is growing up right before our eyes!

Happy Birthday Gina!!
xoxo

Share/Save/Bookmark

37 Responses to “Ellie Krieger’s Baked Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta”

1. Priscilla posted February 26, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Mm, this looks so yummy especially with the feta cheese. happy birthday little Gina! You are one cutie!

2. Jessica posted February 26, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Gorgeous dish! I love the olive and basil flavors you tossed in. Happy B-day to your little girl!

3. 5 Star Foodie posted February 26, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Baked shrimp sounds delicious. I love feta. Happy birthday to your daughter – she’s adorable!

4. Maria posted February 26, 2009 at 3:16 pm

Great dish!! I need to get that cookbook!! Happy B-day to your girl! She is a doll!

5. Erica posted February 26, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Oh my gosh- what a cutie and what a smile! Happy birthday to your baby doll!

This dish looks amazing! I need to get this cookbook ASAP! Love the use of fresh matoes!

6. Cathy posted February 26, 2009 at 4:09 pm

I thought this shrimp was fabulous, just didn’t get enough of it. Yours looks perfect — love the addition of some kalamata olives!

Happy birthday to your sweet baby girl! I hope you all have a fun day today!

7. Bridgett posted February 26, 2009 at 4:36 pm

What a sweet little girl. A big happy birthday to Gina! I love this recipe and it is always good for a small dinner party. Your Ellie group sounds like fun as you seems to be making loads of yummy things from this book. It is one of my favorites.

8. biz319 posted February 26, 2009 at 5:22 pm

I am not a huge fan of chunky tomatoes, but this looks delish!

My favorite picture of Gina is the one in the chef hat! Happy Belated B-day to her!

9. Sara posted February 26, 2009 at 5:58 pm

Nicely done. The olives were probably so good in this. I am glad you liked this, it is one of my favorite Ellie recipes.

10. Gloria Chadwick posted February 26, 2009 at 6:37 pm

Happy Birthday to Gina. She’s beautiful! They do grow up so fast.
    I don’t like fish, but I love shrimp. Go figure. This dish looks really good.
    I have an award for you on my blog. :)

11. Pamela posted February 26, 2009 at 7:06 pm

Happy Birthday to your little girl! I love her name, it was my mom’s! I think the olives were a great touch and I will have to remember that for next time. Thanks for cooking with me!

12. What's for Supper? posted February 26, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Great job. And what a cute little girl you have there.

13. leanne posted February 26, 2009 at 9:49 pm

YUM. Love the additions. Happy Birthday to your beautiful daughter.

14. Jen posted February 26, 2009 at 10:15 pm

Your dish looks absolutely fantastic! I thought this was a great recipe and I will definitely be making it again.

15. Barbara Bakes posted February 26, 2009 at 11:10 pm

What a cutie! She looks like such a happy little girl. The meal looks delicious!

16. Medena (-Melitta-) posted February 27, 2009 at 1:36 am

Happy birthday to your beautiful little girl! :)
    Thank you for visiting my blog! You have a great blog, lots to explore!
    My husband likes this dish, he is crazy for shrimp! Looks really good!

17. Peggy posted February 27, 2009 at 1:51 am

What a precious baby girl and happy b’day to her. The shrimp dish looks so delicious. We thought it was easy to make and will definitely make it again.

18. Carrian posted February 27, 2009 at 1:53 am

Looks delicious!!! Happy Birthday little one!!!!

19. Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella posted February 27, 2009 at 2:13 am

Lovely blog you have here Aggie! And this dish looks scrumptious. Happy Birthday to your little girl, what a little darling she is and I love how she’s a little chef in the making! :)

20. Girl Japan posted February 27, 2009 at 2:26 am

The little tot- adorable! The Dish, fabulous. Oh I do, I do love beans, Feta, shrimp and I am digging your plate.. hehe “wink”! I like the kitty chan cupcake = )

21. Pam posted February 27, 2009 at 5:49 am

I love Ellie’s recipe and Greek flavors so this recipe is calling my name. Great photos.

The Greek salad down below looks great too.

22. Paula posted February 27, 2009 at 7:56 am

First, happy, happy birthday to little Gina! My goodness, she’s a beauty! Next, this shrimp dish is wonderful. I’m trying to remember if I’ve every baked shrimp … I can’t think of anything. This looks so tasty, and very Greek! You’re on a Greek kick! YUM!

23. Katherine Aucoin posted February 27, 2009 at 2:28 pm

This looks so delicious Aggie and your darling little girl is beautiful!

24. lesley posted February 27, 2009 at 3:05 pm

Hello Aggie
    I enjoyed reading your blog, & I love Feta cheese!! I even put it in my soup ;0)
    Happy Birthday to your little girl ;0)

25. Mary Ann posted February 27, 2009 at 4:27 pm

Your shrimp turned out beautifully. I really wish I could’ve fit it in!
    Happy Birthday to Gina! She is a doll!

26. Colleen posted February 27, 2009 at 7:13 pm

This looks delicious! And happy birthday to your “baby” – she’s beautiful!

27. Kathy - Panini Happy posted February 27, 2009 at 9:26 pm

Your shrimp looks delicious! I just tried a similar recipe (although it was prepared in a skillet rather than baked) from Food & Wine called shrimp saganaki. We really enjoyed it. Great idea to pair with orzo.

A big happy birthday to your cutie!!

28. Dawn posted February 27, 2009 at 10:36 pm

I think shrimp & feta go so well together. I think I remember seeing this recipe and wanting so badly to try it. Now after seeing your pics I have to try it. You've been baking so healthy lately, good for you–I need to adopt more of this.

29. lisa (dandysugar) posted February 27, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Happy B-day to your adorable little girl! What a fabulous shrimp dish. Beautifully done!

30. Deseree posted February 28, 2009 at 12:12 am

This looks so beautiful! I bet it is yummy! Happy Birthday to your daughter :)

You have a lovely blog here, thanks for stopping by mine :)

31. Kevin posted February 28, 2009 at 5:58 pm

Shrimp baked with tomatoes and feta sounds great!

32. Gloria Chadwick posted February 28, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Hi Aggie. I have something for you on my San Antonio blog. :)

33. Patsyk posted February 28, 2009 at 9:27 pm

Your little girl is absolutely adorable!

I’ve had this recipe marked for quite awhile… going to have to make it now that I know it’s a good one!

34. Stef posted March 2, 2009 at 4:07 am

Such a cute little cupcake for a cute little girl!

35. Deborah posted October 5, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Happy birthday to your little girl! She is too cute!

This looks delicious. I was just telling my husband today that I am going to clear out the freezer in the next couple weeks, and I have some frozen shrimp, so this would be a perfect fit!!

36. Deborah posted October 5, 2011 at 9:21 pm

And I just realized this is an old post, so not really happy birthday to your little girl right now….. duh :) (but happy birthday in February!!)

1. Pingback: Adventures in Napa… | Aggie's Kitchen