Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs

by Aggies Kitchen on February 11, 2009

I’ve been pretty skeptical about spaghetti squash for a while now. I really didn’t believe that I would like it. A few weeks ago, my pilates instructor was raving about having spaghetti squash with turkey sausage and tomato sauce for dinner and of course, once I started thinking about it I couldn’t get it out of my mind. Once I saw it here though…I went straight to Publix.
So I gave in and tried some spaghetti squash. And I loved it. So did my husband, which still shocks me today.

It was not hard at all to cook. The hardest part for me was cutting through the squash to cut it in half. Once its cut in half and the seeds and membranes are cleaned out, you place it open side down in a large microwavable baking dish with about a 1/4 cup of water and covered in plastic wrap. Microwave it for 8-12 minutes depending on its size. Once it’s cooked through, just take a fork and scrape out the inside…it will come out stringy and “spaghetti” like.

Serve with your favorite homemade tomato sauce and these
Turkey and Spinach Meatballs.

This Thursday is Barefoot Blogger day!

Unfortunately, as much as I would love to indulge in some of Ina’s Real Meatballs and Spaghetti chosen by Ezra Pound Cake, I have started my training for my second time at the Danskin Women’s Triathlon at Disney and am really watching what I am eating! I am part of a triathlon training team at my YMCA and am really working hard to get in 6 days a week of running, biking and swimming so that I will be able to actually finish the race in one piece!!

Turkey and Spinach Meatballs
Recipe from Aggie’s Kitchen

1 lb of lean ground turkey (I usually use Jenni-O)
2 tsp garlic powder
salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
1 cup chopped fresh spinach leaves
1 small onion, grated
1 egg
1/4 cup bread crumbs (whole wheat if you’ve got them!)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
splash milk (I use non fat)
non stick spray

In large bowl, mix together onion, egg, bread crumbs, Parmesan and milk. Mix until it turns into a loose paste. Add in ground turkey, chopped spinach, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Gently combine all ingredients. Roll meat mixture into small meatballs, about 1-2 inches round. Place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Before placing in oven, spray each meatball with non stick spray.

Cook for about 20-25 minutes, until browned, in 375 degree oven.

To serve with tomato sauce, drop meatballs in sauce pan with tomato sauce and heat through. Freeze your extras for another meal!

(for a printable version of this recipe click here)

Enjoy the rest of your week!

Share/Save/Bookmark

5 Star Foodie February 11, 2009 at 6:29 pm

The spaghetti squash sound interesting. Delicious meatballs!

Mary Ann February 11, 2009 at 6:43 pm

I love spaghetti squash too and was actually thinking about having it soon.
It looks delish with those super yummy meatballs.
Good luck on your training! I need to get my bum in gear and do something!

Bob February 11, 2009 at 7:03 pm

I’ve never had spaghetti squash, but now I want to try it! :)

Paula February 11, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Oh, lordy, a triathlon!! Pilates?! Trainng?! No wonder you look as good as you do! Love your Spag Squash and Meatballs. I’ve never microwaved the squash before, only roasted it. I’ll have to give this method a try. For now, though, I feel the need to log off the computer and go walk around the block like 100 times!!! :-)

Cat February 11, 2009 at 8:02 pm

We eat a lot of spaghetti squash. It’s pretty darn good with homemade alfredo sauce over it too…oops, however not so good with training for a race (sorry:-)

And actually I just stab it a couple of times with a big knife and put it in the microwave. After I take it out I slice it in half and clean out the seeds. Then I shred it.

Amy February 11, 2009 at 8:10 pm

I love spaghetti squash!! Looks yummy!

HoneyB February 11, 2009 at 8:36 pm

It looks great! I really like the look of the meatballs. I wonder if I could pull this off with grumpy!

melissa February 11, 2009 at 8:49 pm

I think I’d like the turkey and spinach ones just great. As for the spaghetti squash, I shot myself in the foot on that – I made it once, and I let the squash get… well, not bad, but it wasn’t as fresh as it should have been and it didn’t taste great. Now Steve doesn’t want me to make it again. Ugh.

Triathlon? You rock!

Pam February 11, 2009 at 9:34 pm

A triathlon? You go girl! This is so healthy, creative and beautiful. I’ve never thought to use spaghetti squash. Great recipe.

Priscilla February 11, 2009 at 11:56 pm

Yum! This looks so good, I’d love this for dinner!

Carrian February 11, 2009 at 11:57 pm

This looks delicious! Those meatballs looks so good too!

Donna-FFW February 12, 2009 at 12:25 am

What a lovely idea, it sounds so intriguing. And the meatballs are probably so very tasty!! They sure look it!

harpervalley February 12, 2009 at 1:39 am

Spag squash is the bizzomb.

Erica February 12, 2009 at 1:57 am

yayyyyyy! Spag squash is so good! I couldn’t believe how good it was at first either. Your meatballs look mighty tasty as well ;) Hope you’re having a great night!

Elra February 12, 2009 at 3:11 am

My husband loves spaghetti squash, in fact he was the one who introduce me with this unusual squash. I remember how amaze I was to found out that this squash does look like spaghetti. I am glad to come over here, now I can cook this squash again. And thanks for the recipe too.
Cheers,
Elra

Cathy February 12, 2009 at 3:44 am

This looks great, Aggie! I’ve never tried spaghetti squash, but I totally want to try it now. Good luck with your training — you rock!

Suzie February 12, 2009 at 11:10 am

I’m impressed by te triathlon and the spaghetti squash. Good luck with the training!

Talita February 12, 2009 at 1:54 pm

I don’t need to say that recipe looks fabulous, the pics say it! I love meatballs!

Maria February 12, 2009 at 2:45 pm

I love spaghetti squash! I am glad you gave it another try!! Good luck with your training. You are awesome!!

1freshstart February 12, 2009 at 3:23 pm

I might have to give the spaghetti squash a try. I don’t think we have any around here this time of year though.

Good luck on the marathon! You’ll need lots of protein…

~Cat

The Morgan Family February 12, 2009 at 3:47 pm

thanks for the lite recipe. i’ve always been hesitant to try spaghetti squash, but am thinking i should try it!

Colleen February 12, 2009 at 6:37 pm

I haven’t been brave enough to try spaghetti squash yet either – I wonder if I could fool my husband? Those turkey meatballs look fantastic!

Penny February 12, 2009 at 7:30 pm

Loved your take on this dish. Spaghetti squash is a favorite of mine. I am loving being a part of the Barefoot Bloggers!

Gloria Chadwick February 12, 2009 at 9:54 pm

You go, girl! This sounds like a really delicious recipe, one that’s good for you, too. Love the turkey-spinach meatballs! Yumm! Best wishes on training for your triathlon. :)

Reeni♥ February 12, 2009 at 10:28 pm

I love spaghetti squash, my family claimed they didn’t. I cooked it up with some parmesan, garlic and olive oil. They loved it. I’m sure they would love this too, looks really delicious!

Bridgett February 13, 2009 at 5:47 am

Nothing better than spaghetti and meatballs. This look delicious and comforting.

Peggy February 13, 2009 at 4:21 pm

I love the way this spaghetti looks and the turkey meatballs. YUM. Sounds delicious. Good luck with your training!!

Debbie February 13, 2009 at 7:15 pm

I love spaghetti squash with tomato sauce. So good!!!

Dawn February 13, 2009 at 9:27 pm

you know I’ve never tried it either. I’ve been put off by it too. but it looks like it was a hit, so I might have to try it.

Gloria Chadwick February 14, 2009 at 1:07 am

Just wanted to stop by again to let you know there’s an award for you on my blog. :)

mikky February 14, 2009 at 5:52 am

looks tasty… happy valentine’s day!!! :)

Girl Japan February 14, 2009 at 11:36 am

I really miss spaghetti squash, mum used to make it for us but there is NO WAY I’ll find it here.. “sigh”.

The dish looks fabulous and so does the photos, on a side note, I am not running yet still brisk walking for five miles (10,000 steps) but I can not tell you how important it is to have good shoes, that’s what I get for trying to wear a size 7!

biz319 February 14, 2009 at 2:05 pm

I LOVE spaghetti squash – just discovered it a few years ago.

I’ll have to try your turkey meatballs too!

I did a triathlon once – it was a sprint – 1/2 mile swim, 12 mile bike ride and 5K. It was fun!

Good luck with your training!

Aggie February 14, 2009 at 2:08 pm

Hi biz….mine’s a sprint too…1/2 mile swim, 16 mile bike and 5k…I think I’ve got the first two down, working on the running though! It is fun!!

Thanks for all the great comments everyone!!

Maryann February 14, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Aggie, your meatballs look wonderful! Happy Valentines day!

Proud Italian Cook February 15, 2009 at 6:03 am

Aggie, I love the look of those meatballs with the spinach popping out! I also love spaghetti squash!

Bellini Valli February 15, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Spaghetti squash is the only kind my mom served so I have loved it from an early age…but, I have never tried it with meatballs so will have to widen my scope.

Sara February 15, 2009 at 2:30 pm

This looks so good, I haven’t made spaghetti squash in ages! A long time ago, when I was first learning how to cook I made a spaghetti squash recipe that was not very good, my family hasn’t let me forget it!

Sharon February 16, 2009 at 12:32 am

Wow, I'm so impressed. Best of luck with your triathlon training! I love this healthy & delicious meal.

Helene February 16, 2009 at 4:03 am

I could eat this in no time. I love Spaghetti Squash. Great meal.

Liz February 20, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Hi Aggie:
If you poke a few holes in the squash and microwave it for @ 5 minutes, it will be easier to slice in half! Your recipes sounds delicious!

Kevin March 6, 2009 at 2:52 am

That spaghetti squash with meatballs looks good!

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen February 8, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Wow, Aggie, I am so happy to see that you liked spaghetti squash and that my post helped inspire you to that decision! Good luck in your training – sounds exciting! You will be Iron Woman!