Bbq Pulled Pork and Chipotle Onion Sandwiches

by Aggies Kitchen on January 27, 2009

I learned how to make pulled pork sandwiches
last year and am so glad I did.

This has got to be one of the best ways to feed a small crowd, especially one over for a sporting event such as Super Bowl. It’s no fuss…you let your pork roast (I use Boston Butt) cook all day in the slow cooker…the meat will be moist, tender and ready to serve on buns with your favorite sauce by game time. This time, I kicked it up a notch by adding sweet and spicy caramelized onions to the already tasty sandwich.

Our favorite Bbq sauce is Sweet Baby Rays…what’s yours?

This sandwich is my entry into The Recipe Girl’s
Ultimate Super Bowl Party Recipe Smackdown.
She’s hosting this even in conjunction with Sam’s Club and
is giving away a
$250
Sam’s Club Gift Card to a winner!

Go to The Recipe Girl’s blog on Friday, January 30th
to see the amazing roundup of Super Bowl recipes!

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
Recipe from Aggie’s Kitchen

1 Boston butt or pork shoulder roast (4-6lbs, depending on the size of your slow cooker)
1 large onion, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
3-4 whole, crushed garlic cloves
1 cup water
your favorite Barbeque sauce

1 large red onion, thinly sliced
1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
1-2 tablespoons of oil
2 teaspoons of chipotle chili powder
couple – few dashes of Tabasco Chipotle hot sauce

Place pork roast in the slow cooker; add water, sliced onion, salt and pepper and garlic cloves. Cover and cook on low for about 9 to 11 hours, or until very tender. Drain all juices off, discard any fat and bone. Shred or chop pork. Continue cooking on high for about 1 hour.

Prepare onion topping by adding 1-2 tablespoons of oil in non stick skillet over medium high heat. Add onions to pan, salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until soft. Add 2 teaspoons of chipotle chili powder and a couple of dashes of Tabasco Chipotle sauce to onions. Combine and continue to cook for another 10 minutes. If onions are sticking to bottom of pan, deglaze by adding a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to pan.

Serve shredded pork on potato rolls with your favorite barbeque sauce, top with caramelized chipotle onions.

(for a printable version of this recipe click here)

Check out my sister in law Jamie’s Easy Barbeque Pork Sandwiches for
another great pulled pork recipe!

Share/Save/Bookmark

Lisa January 27, 2009 at 2:06 am

The onions on the pork look great. I am going to get some Baby Ray’s. I heard that is good.

Carrian January 27, 2009 at 2:31 am

YUM!!!! We love pulled pork!

Erica January 27, 2009 at 2:41 am

Josh LOVES pulled pork. I must make this once I have my crock pot back. Good luck in the contest- you should totally win…and I am not biased at all ;)

Bridgett January 27, 2009 at 2:54 am

Oh my…that sauce! Look at the lovely sauce! I could easily get used to having those.

Bob January 27, 2009 at 3:38 am

That looks amazing! Pulled pork rules. I make it in the oven since I don’t have a smoker or a slow cooker big enough to fit a whole shoulder. Heh. My favorite bottled sauce is Bullseye.

Mary Ann January 27, 2009 at 3:54 am

Funny you should post this right now. My good friend from Ga is at my house and she was just requesting bbq something- anything! In fact, she just came in here and said ” that is what I am talking about”. Looks like we are making this. Thanks, Aggie!

Barbara Bakes January 27, 2009 at 4:32 am

Almost sounds to easy for such a great sandwich. I’ll have to give it a try!

Paula January 27, 2009 at 7:44 am

Oh Aggie, I’m running out of adjectives to describe how yummy your food is. I love pulled pork and this sammy is off the charts awesome. You know what, though? My husband would declare you a goddess if he saw this. This is DEFINITELY something that he would absolutely love. YUM!

Katherine Aucoin January 27, 2009 at 1:40 pm

We love pulled pork sanwiches and I’ve made your SIL’s recipe a couple of times. I love the addition of chipotle and onion YUM!

5 Star Foodie January 27, 2009 at 3:04 pm

That sounds awesome! bbq, pulled pork, and chipotle onions – yum!

Maria January 27, 2009 at 3:38 pm

My hubby loves pulled pork, but I rarely make it since I don’t eat meat. Maybe he will get a treat soon! Nice job!

Anne January 27, 2009 at 8:14 pm

That looks delicious! I love the onions on top and can’t wait to try that.

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen January 27, 2009 at 10:31 pm

This looks fantastic Aggie! Yum! I would love to come over for one of those….pulled pork is one of my all time faves.

BBQ sauce – I love to make my own, but of the bottled kind, I go for Trader Joe’s. It is the only one I can find with out HFCS.

biz319 January 27, 2009 at 10:57 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE pulled pork. HATE HATE HATE onions – but I can leave those off!

I make a North Carolina bbq sandich, that has no bbq sauce at all – its cooked in slow cooker with vinegar, crushed red pepper flakes, and TABASCO. I always use a pork shoulder – in the summertime I can get a pork shoulder for .99 cents a pound!

Okay, my mouth is watering, I have to go.

Dawn January 28, 2009 at 3:03 pm

MMMmmmm. I love that onion mixture on the top!! Killing me!

HoneyB January 28, 2009 at 3:17 pm

I want to make this!

Pam January 28, 2009 at 4:35 pm

You are killing me! This is one of my favorite sandwiches – the onions make it perfect.

Clumbsy Cookie January 28, 2009 at 10:45 pm

You’ve been cooking a lot of great looking stuff lately! But this pulled pork won my heart! I love pulled pork and this one looks perfect!

Colleen January 29, 2009 at 6:59 pm

We love Sweet Baby Ray’s too! This looks delicious!

newlyweds January 30, 2009 at 4:35 pm

mmm, this looks so good, the onions and sauce and tender meat, a killer combo

Erica March 14, 2009 at 8:17 pm

Totally making this for tonight! I am so excited