Zucchini, Red Onion and Black Bean Quesadillas

by Aggies Kitchen on September 5, 2012

When it comes to building a quesadilla, I think it’s pretty safe to say “anything goes”. I think that’s what I love the most about making them. They are basically just the vehicle for whatever ingredients you have on hand, and most of the time I would say, it’s pretty hard not to get it right.

These particular quesadillas happened one afternoon around lunch time. It was one of those days where I found I had a little extra time to experiment and build on what I had in the fridge. I love those kind of days…and now that kids are in school during the day I hope to experience more of those moments (my favorite part of cooking is making something new and delicious!!)

I can see these quesadillas being served as lunch, a light meatless dinner or as snacky food to serve during game days. They are perfect for balancing out any menu where you want to include a meatless option for any guests that are vegetarian or who prefer something lighter. I served them with some of Bolthouse Farms Salsa Ranch dressing (LOVE!) but they would be great with Kalyn’s kicked up Sriracha-Ranch Dipping Sauce or this Chipotle and Lime Sour Cream from Mother Rimmy. Or of course they would be delicious dipped in your favorite salsa.

Zucchini, Red Onion and Black Bean Quesadillas

Yield: Makes 4 quesadillas

A fresh and delicious meatless quesadilla, perfect for lunch, a light dinner or game day snacking.

Ingredients

• 1 zucchini, halved then sliced into "half moons"
  • 1/2 red onion, halved, then sliced thin
  • 1/4 teaspoon of cumin powder
  • 1 teaspoon light oil or cooking spray
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 can Bush's Black Beans, rinsed and drained
  • 4 whole wheat tortillas (I used La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious, Low Carb High Fiber tortillas)
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese of choice (I used pepper jack, but cheddar, mozzarella or monteray jack would be great as well)

Instructions

1. Heat oil in a non stick skillet (or simply spray with cooking spray). Add zucchini and red onion to skillet, sprinkle with cumin, salt and pepper. Let vegetables cook over medium heat for up to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Set aside.
  2. Using a large non stick skillet, heat tortilla over medium heat for about 30 seconds. Flip over and begin to build your quesadilla by layering with shredded cheese, zucchini and onion mixture, black beans, then again with shredded cheese. Make sure your ingredients are divided evenly for 4 tortillas before you begin.
  3. Cook quesadilla on first side for about a minute, then gently flip over. Cook on second side for 2 -3 minutes or until cheese is melted through and tortillas are browned but not burned. Remove quesadilla from pan onto cutting board and let cool slightly before cutting. Cut into thirds and serve with sour cream, salsa or a combination of salsa and ranch dipping sauce. (Note: I used Bolthouse Farms salsa ranch dressing for dipping - delicious!)
  4. Serve as a light meal or as an appetizer.

This post is sponsored by Bush’s Beans. My thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.

katie September 5, 2012 at 7:25 am

Aggie this looks awesome and right up my alley! I agree with you anything goes with quesadillas! I must try the Salsa Ranch Dressing… I’ve only tried the traditional ranch!

Jamie @ Thrifty Veggie Mama September 5, 2012 at 7:45 am

Love quesadillas! You can hide lots of good stuff in them and the kids still eat them.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar September 5, 2012 at 8:05 am

These look so freaking yummy! What a great, quick, dinner :)

RavieNomNoms September 5, 2012 at 8:20 am

These look SO good!! Patrick wouldn’t touch them but I would gladly eat 4-5 myself!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch September 5, 2012 at 9:16 am

These looks delicious, Aggie!

carrian September 5, 2012 at 10:00 am

Ya know, I never grew up eating quesadillas. Like, ever. But now I can’t resist them. We even make asian style. So yum

Erica September 5, 2012 at 10:01 am

I’m such a huge quesadilla fan! And the more veggies the better. Looks fantastic.

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen September 5, 2012 at 10:27 am

You have the best bean recipes! I love this, it would be my perfect lunch!

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 5, 2012 at 10:32 am

this ‘dilla looks absolutely perfect…i love mine chock full of veggies and cheese!

Bev @ Bev Cooks September 5, 2012 at 11:50 am

You had me at Z.

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet September 5, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Yum. Healthy and delish. Good combo!!

Sandy @ Reluctant Entertainer September 5, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Can’t wait to try these, Aggie. I love all of your fresh recipes!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl September 5, 2012 at 1:38 pm

These look awesome!! I think Asher would love these – he is obsessed with zucchini lately!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles September 5, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Yummity, yum, yum, YUM! A perfect lunch!

Paula - bell'alimento September 5, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I happen to have had something similar for lunch. Will try the zucchini next time! Looks scrummy.

Tabitha September 5, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Quesidillas are on our menu at least once a week. My family and I just love them! I will try your recipe!

IdaBaker September 5, 2012 at 4:28 pm

As the name says, I’m already a fan of beans, but when you combine it with cheese, the love jumps ten fold.

I love this recipe!!

Tara @ Unsophisticook September 5, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Great way to use up all that zucchini — yum!

amy @ fearless homemaker September 5, 2012 at 9:05 pm

i agree – quesadillas are pretty much awesome regardless of what you put in ‘em. heck, i just posted a cheddar, apple + bacon version! =) yours look lovely – and so versatile!

Kati Mora, MS, RD, Kellogg's FiberPlus(R) Wellness Advocate September 5, 2012 at 9:10 pm

This might just be my favorite quesadilla recipe yet! Love all the ingredients – from the fiber-licious beans to the whole wheat tortillas – yummy!

Kerstin September 5, 2012 at 9:17 pm

What yummy veggie quesadillas – they look really addicting!

JulieD September 5, 2012 at 10:02 pm

I love this, Aggie!! I’m gonna try this next time I make quesadillas!!

Deborah September 6, 2012 at 12:02 am

We eat a lot of quesadillas, and these are totally calling my name!!

David Crowley September 6, 2012 at 7:02 am

Nice way to use zucchini. Going to have to remember for next time they roll in via our CSA!

Minnie@thelady8home September 6, 2012 at 8:20 am

Wow!! This looks so healthy and yummmm. Love it. Zucchini can make most dishes rock, so this one looks especially good.

I would love it if you would link this up or some other dish that you think would suit for the weekend dinner extravaganza that I have running on my blog.

bellini September 6, 2012 at 10:09 am

I have all of the ingredients!

Angie September 6, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I just found that bolthouse dressing and also fell in love with it! I can’t wait to try these quesadillas, what a great dinner idea!

Daniela @ FoodRecipesHQ September 6, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Finally I know what quesadilla is. So easy to make!

Cassie September 6, 2012 at 3:08 pm

We adore quesadillas around here. I love these veggies. I need to try that dressing too!

Minnie(@thelady8home) September 6, 2012 at 9:53 pm

OMG these look awesomely delicious!!!! Also do visit my space. I am hosting a gala dinner extravaganza, a fabulous linky party for all. Please come and join the fun.

Marly September 7, 2012 at 7:42 am

Lots of veggies, great flavor, and some fiber to boot? What a perfect light lunch or dinner! Love your recipes, Aggie. I definitely see a vegan version of this coming on!

Jen @ Savory Simple September 7, 2012 at 7:51 am

These look delicious! What a creative way to use zucchini.

Brittany September 7, 2012 at 8:50 am

This looks incredible. Can’t wait to try it!

Kalyn September 7, 2012 at 7:46 pm

These sound like they would be wonderful!

brandi September 11, 2012 at 10:02 am

we’re still stocked with zucchini – these look great!

Kim | At Home With Kim September 12, 2012 at 4:41 am

How much do I want to come sit in your kitchen and enjoy these for lunch with you??? I’m now also pinning this to make for lunch soon! My family and I have different tastes sometimes…. and this would be such a great way to get in things I love (red onion, meatless, etc) for lunch. I get so bored with salads, but TODAY I’m getting back on track with eating. This is the PERFECT way to do that to keep myself going when I want to throw salad out the window. :-) And thanks for including which tortillas you use…. I haven’t found any I like recently, so I’ll get those!