Szechuan Shrimp and Vegetable Stir Fry

by Aggies Kitchen on April 16, 2012

Stir fry is definitely the way to go if you are looking for fresh, fast and good for you at dinner time. I mean, just look at that plate of food. I could eat that plate up several times a week with no complaints.

The key to a successful stir fry is to make sure you have all of your ingredients prepped ahead of time. Cut and clean your shrimp and vegetables ahead of time and make sure they are dry before putting them in the pan (the water on wet veggies takes away from the crisp and dry part of stir frying). Also, get your aromatics (garlic, ginger, spices) ready because those are a big part of the cooking process. Stir fry is quick and beyond satisfying if you do it right.

For the most part, my stir fries are very basic – protein, veggie, ginger, garlic and soy sauce. For this shrimp and veggie stir fry I added a special ingredient – szechuan peppercorns (by the way, szechuan – or sichuan – is not a pepper like you might think, it’s very aromatic and not spicy at all!). I learned of them years ago and finally picked up a jar on a field trip to my favorite spice store Penzey’s recently. Don’t be intimidated by them, challenge yourself to try something new – I think you’ll be pleased. I know I was.

Szechuan Shrimp Stir Fry
Recipe created in Aggie’s Kitchen

1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
salt and pepper, to taste
1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed
1 red or yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
2 teaspoons vegetable or canola oil, divided
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch ginger, peeled and minced
1 1/2 teaspoon whole szechuan peppercorns, toasted then crushed (this video shows you how to do this easily)
3 tablespoons soy sauce

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in wok over medium high heat. Add shrimp, season with salt and pepper and stir fry for 3-4 minutes until shrimp are pink. Take shrimp out of wok and set aside in a dish.

Add additional teaspoon of oil into wok and add red pepper flakes and crushed szechuan peppercorns, stir for 10 seconds. Add minced garlic and ginger to pan and stir for about 10 – 20 more seconds, until fragrant. At this time, add green beans to wok and stir fry for up to 2 minutes. Add pepper strips to green beans and stir fry for another 1-2 minutes. Add shrimp back into pan and pour soy sauce over shrimp and vegetable mixture. Gently toss for another minute, then serve hot over prepared rice.

I serve my stir fry with this sprouted rice and quinoa blend I recently discovered at Costco – I love this stuff!!

Cassie April 16, 2012 at 11:38 am

Stir-fry is absolutely a go-to for us. I always keep the ingredients on hand because we love the flavors. Definitely trying this one, my husband is a shrimp-lover!

Paula- bell'alimento April 16, 2012 at 12:08 pm

We love a good stir fry. They’re a quick and easy one pan wonder! xoxo

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids April 16, 2012 at 12:29 pm

It looks beautiful and delicious, Aggie!

Rachel - A Southern Fairytale April 16, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Gorgeous and yummy! I adore stir fries!

Jersey Girl Cooks April 16, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Great stir fry! It’s one of my quick go to meals.

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen April 16, 2012 at 12:52 pm

That is one beautiful plate of stir fry! I want to gobble it up right now!

Heather (Heather's Dish) April 16, 2012 at 1:09 pm

i adore shrimp and never seem to make it at home! same goes for stir-fry…why am i not taking advantage?!

Bev Weidner April 16, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I SO want to marry this.

Erica April 16, 2012 at 3:35 pm

So my go to dinner. Making one tonight :) Those shrimpies look yummy

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. April 16, 2012 at 4:23 pm

This looks right up my alley!

Liz April 16, 2012 at 4:47 pm

So gorgeous, healthy and delicious!! A rare trifecta :) And thanks for letting us know about the sprouted rice and quinoa blend…I was eying it on your plate~

Jamie April 16, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Yummo…love stir fries at home. And anything with shrimp in it is a winner for me. Great point on having your food prepped and measured before you start. Stir fried food cooks very quickly so you must have everything ready to go. I’ve never seen those peppercorns before. Will have to check our specialty food store here.

JulieD April 17, 2012 at 12:31 am

Looks so good, Aggie!! I’m so interested in that rice & quinoa blend too!

shelly (cookies and cups) April 17, 2012 at 7:14 am

Gorgeous meal! That rice looks so yummy too :)

Catalina @ Cake with Love April 17, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I love stir fries, I also made one with shrimp yesterday!

Kim | At Home With Kim April 18, 2012 at 10:43 am

This is such a great recipe. I’m definitely making this… you always help me fill in my meal plan. I think I’m going to use chicken bc I have that on hand. And I’m on a hunt to find that rice blend. Oh and I’m adding a wok to my kitchen repertoire. :-) Thanks for linking up to Weigh~In Wednesday!!! {hugs}

Rachel April 18, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Ooooh! I love stir frys! I’m definitely going to try your recipe. It looks really delicious!

Have a great day!

katie April 19, 2012 at 11:55 am

YUM! I’m all for stir frys. I probably do one every week with a wide variety of veggies & sometimes meats! Never used Szechuan peppercorns. Need to go invest now.