Mexican Pizza

It’s Valentine’s Day. I have no chocolate or hearts or anything really all that cute for you. Doesn’t mean I don’t love you though. I do.

I have pizza for you.

Pizza is one of the loves of my life, so in the spirit of the holiday of love, here I am sharing it with you. The other loves of my life and I like to have pizza on Friday nights…sometimes we go out for it, sometimes we take some home, and sometimes we (I) make our own. Our last pizza night was a few weeks ago and I was craving something different. The rest of my crew doesn’t usually crave what I crave so I made their traditional standby 1/2 cheese 1/2 pepperoni pie while I experimented a bit with mine based on what I had going on in the fridge and pantry.

Voila.

Mexican Pizza
Recipe created in Aggie’s Kitchen

pizza dough (I wish I could tell you I make my own, but I don’t. I am working on that. I buy my pizza dough at my grocery store bakery)
your favorite salsa (I tried out this sweet onion salsa and it was YUM)
shredded Mexican cheese
red onion, sliced thin
black olives, sliced
roasted pobalanos and cubanelles, sliced thin

Roast your peppers ahead of time. Here’s how I roast my peppers.

Preheat your oven to 500 degrees, I like to preheat my pizza stone or pan at this time too. I find the crust comes out so much better when prepared on a preheated stone (or pan).

Throw some flour on a clean, dry surface and start to prepare your pizza crust by shaping your dough (I find that lightly coating it with some flour first helps). I start by gently using my fingertips and spreading it out into a circle until it looks like a disc. I then take the “disc” and start tossing it back and forth from hand to hand to start loosening it up (I learned this from watching my dad make pizza all my life, it took a while for me to really get it down, so don’t expect perfection, have fun with it!). Once you get your pizza spread into the shape you want, pull out your pizza stone or pan and place on a trivet on your counter and transfer your dough to the stone. You may have to work your pizza out a bit once it hits the hot stone, it may start to shrink up, just be careful not to burn yourself!

Now is the easy and fun part. Spread the desired amount of salsa over your dough. Top it with however much cheese you want. Add the rest of your toppings over the cheese and pop it into the oven to bake. Keep an eye on it, but it should be ready in about 15 minutes, or when cheese is bubbly and golden brown.

Are you craving more pizza? If so, I have an entire Pinterest board dedicated to it. Enjoy!

20 Responses to “Mexican Pizza”

1. Heather @ Heather's Dish posted February 14, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Oh my word this sounds amazing…extra poblanos for me please :)

2. Bev Weidner posted February 14, 2012 at 1:34 pm

OOOOOO.
    MMMMMM.
    GGGGGG.

My eyes are having a hay day right now.

3. Kelley {mountain mama cooks} posted February 14, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Two of my loves: Mexican and pizza. You just made my day!

4. Erica posted February 14, 2012 at 1:55 pm

How fun! i bet the salsa on there was fabulous. I’d eat some of your pizza!

5. Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray posted February 14, 2012 at 1:57 pm

This looks so good! Happy Valentine’s Day!

6. Caneel posted February 14, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Yummm! Looks amazing! Happy Valentine’s Day!

7. Cassie posted February 14, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I’m on my way over. Delicious!

8. Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga posted February 14, 2012 at 4:35 pm

The pizza looks phenomenal! I wish that’s what I was having right now!

9. Kim | At Home With Kim posted February 14, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Ummmm, okay I cannot wait to make this! Two of my favorite loves? Pizza and Mexican food! This sounds SOOOO good!!!! I’ll let you know when I make it…..

10. Jaime posted February 15, 2012 at 3:44 am

Awesome pizza! you know i love pizza any flavor of it will do :)
    this pizza looks nice i think it taste good.. better to try this one . but im not good at baking :p

11. Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids posted February 15, 2012 at 8:42 am

Pizza and movie night is a family tradition every Friday night. We love it and look forward to it each week. I love experimenting with new pizzas, and I cannot wait to try this one. Happy be-lated Valentine’s Day – I adore you with or without hearts. :)

12. Mari @ Mari's Cakes posted February 15, 2012 at 11:55 am

I love pizza! Your Mexican pizza looks so delicious it makes me want to make one right this moment! Enjoy!

13. Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) posted February 16, 2012 at 7:12 am

I think I’d enjoy pizza more than chocolate for Valentines Day! I love Mexican and pizza, so this sounds ideal :)

14. Karriann Graf posted February 16, 2012 at 9:02 am

Your pizza looks really tasty Aggie! We rarely eat pizza…actually I try to stay away from it ;) all the gluten.

15. Denise @ Creative Kitchen posted February 21, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Love this pizza Aggie! I agree that a hot oven & stone is the key….hubby and I like the crust thin and crispy!! ;)

• Aggies Kitchen posted February 23, 2012 at 2:11 pm

hot oven and stone make such a difference!

16. cindy posted February 23, 2012 at 5:55 pm

sounds delicious. making this for dinner tomorrow … yUm!

• Aggies Kitchen posted February 27, 2012 at 11:37 am

I’m so happy you made it! :)

1. Pingback: Greek Salad & Hummus Pita Pizza | Aggie's Kitchen