Tangy Tuna Salad Wraps…and a 17 Day Diet recap

by Aggies Kitchen on January 26, 2012

Pin It

So it’s been a few posts since I mentioned the ‘diet‘. Ugh. That word still makes me cringe. So I did it, I played with the diet for 2 weeks (almost 17 days). I ate well, I detoxed my body, I felt good, I was cranky, I lost 7 pounds, I’m drinking less wine, I re-developed good eating habits, I rebelled a little, I lost the holiday bloat, I moved on. I am no longer on a ‘diet’. Ugh. Thank goodness.

It was a good thing for me to do though (not going to complain about losing 7 pounds that’s for sure!!). It got me disciplined again. When I start to lack discipline in my life things start to go a little haywire. I am learning this. And it’s not just when it comes to discipline in my eating habits. It works in all aspects of my life…exercise, social media, spirituality, daily routine…my life runs better when I practice discipline in all these areas. For instance…obviously, because of what I do here on this blog and over on Babble, I am entrenched in the world of social media. I love it… I love the interaction, the chatter, being so involved in something I am so passionate about, it’s my livelihood…but when it comes down to family/life/work balance, I have got to practice discipline in how much social media is in my world. So I recently took the Facebook and Twitter applications off my phone. I just had to do it. It keeps me from getting distracted when I’m with my kids, keeps my mind from being ‘too plugged in’ and just keeps me happy. This is an experiment I’ve played with a few times over the last year, and I am a much happier, more tuned in mother, wife and person when I practice ‘social media discipline’. Does any of this make sense or am I totally rambling here?

Ok, so enough about all that. Let’s talk about this tuna that I’ve been making for my lunch the past few weeks. I started making it because of the ‘diet’ and I’m going to continue to eat it as part of my ‘lifestyle’. It’s good. It’s good because it’s light, easy to make, low on the carbs, full of protein and um…it just tastes good. It’s not your everyday tuna salad either…there are a few secret ingredients that make it so good

Yep, mustard, Greek yogurt and lemon pepper seasoning. Just a little bit of all 3 of these things and you’ve got yourself some good tuna salad for lunch.

If you can find that mustard up there, please, buy it. It’s SO good. But if you can’t, then find yourself a fun mustard to try…dijon would be fine here, but I really love trying all kinds of mustards so play around with this one.

Tangy Tuna Salad Wraps
Recipe from Aggie’s Kitchen

1 can albacore tuna in water, drained well
1 tablespoon plain non-fat Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon mustard (find a good mustard for this!)
a couple of pinches of lemon pepper seasoning
3 leaves of lettuce (I like green leaf lettuce for these, but use what you have)
thinly sliced tomatoes

In a bowl, combine tuna, yogurt, mustard and lemon pepper. Set up your lettuce leafs as boats and top with sliced tomatoes and tuna.

Easy peasy. Enjoy!

And while you are here…if you are looking for healthy inspiration, check out my round up of favorite healthy food blogs to help keep you motivated in living well!

Heather (Heather's Dish) January 26, 2012 at 12:28 pm

i’m so glad you’ve found more balance…that’s something we all always need more of! and as i’m heading into motherhood i definitely need all the helpful hints i can get in regards to how to balance life in the midst of chaos!

Christina January 26, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Can’t get much easier than that! Looks tasty. I often forget about tuna, so thanks for reminding me. I will definitely be trying this out!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch January 26, 2012 at 12:33 pm

This looks delicious, Aggie! I started the 17 Day earlier in January and then FLUNKED it over my birthday weekend. Back to the plan this weekend. It does make you feel so much better!

Erica January 26, 2012 at 1:03 pm

7 lbs? My goodness! That is quite a speedy loss. Your wraps are gorgeous. Makes me wish I liked tuna ;)

Eliana January 26, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Healthy has never looked so good.

Natalie January 26, 2012 at 1:14 pm

First, I really like tuna. And mustard. So I’m totally on board with this one!

I’m with you on the balance issues. I’m constantly putting myself in check, trying to find a balance. And a routine. Taking FB & Twitter off your phone is a brilliant idea. When I ever get around to getting a smart phone I think I’ll pass on those apps. I have a hard enough time staying away when it’s only on my computer. Maybe putting my computer in the garage might help…

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 26, 2012 at 1:16 pm

so much to say…
first congrats on the 7 lbs and for feeling like you got back on track & disciplined.

“I have got to practice discipline in how much social media is in my world. So I recently took the Facebook and Twitter applications off my phone.” <– Girl I am bad when it comes to Instagram or email checking on my phone. I am always checking it if I'm out with my phone. I need to unplug and re-balance more, too.

Congrats on your CSA (last post).

And these wraps look great!

Culinary Cache January 26, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I love using lettuce as wrap options and do this often. These look great!

Kim | At Home With Kim January 26, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Aggie that’s awesome! 7 pounds? You go GirlFriend. Oh I need to do this so badly. These tuna wraps look delish!!! I need to work on better lunch choices…. This is a great start.

Bev Weidner January 26, 2012 at 7:12 pm

TOTALLY know what mean. I need to find that balance. Tomorrow. Next week. Something.

These wraps? Are you kidding? OMGYEAH.

Cassie January 26, 2012 at 7:27 pm

This tuna salad sounds fabulous! And what a great idea to remove facebook and twitter from your phone…I should do that too, it’s way distracting sometimes!

Sandy @ RE January 26, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Love tuna and mustard. And love you! And all our chats about discipline and food and exercise and parenting and marriage. You’re the best, girl! xoxox

Deborah January 27, 2012 at 12:19 am

I’m good about staying off of twitter and facebook on my phone, but instagram is a whole ‘nother story!! These wraps look delicious, and I’m now wondering if I have some tuna in my pantry so I can have this for lunch tomorrow!

Jamie January 27, 2012 at 6:46 am

Hey you gave the 17 day diet a try and you lost 7 lbs…. That’s great. The tuna salad looks so good. I love trying different mustards. I need to look for this one. I’m a condiment/spice junkie : )

Keep the balance.

Sanjeeta kk January 27, 2012 at 6:53 am

You inspire, Girl! Happy that you remained focused and got what you were aiming for.
Hugs

leslie January 27, 2012 at 7:03 am

7 pounds..you go girl.
Diets make me cranky too.
I don’t use Facebook or twitter on my phone either…its just too much.
I really need to have a computer shut off time at night. I am on my computer until the time I go to bed. Kinda annoying.

Liz January 27, 2012 at 7:47 am

Oh, how delicious! Perfect way to jumpstart a healthier 2012~you are an inspiration!

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids January 27, 2012 at 8:58 am

These look delicious. Perfect for a light, easy lunch.

And, I totally agree with the social media thing. I am so, so new at this, and it is easy to get caught up in it all. Just last weekend, I removed myself from my personal Facebook account and have not checked it since. You know what? It has been a much better week since I started focusing more on my own life and less on what is going on with everyone else.

Happy Friday!

Agnieszka January 27, 2012 at 10:20 am

I love reading your blog and love all your recipes! Thanks for sharing your story. I did start the diet myself but felt like I was eating the same thing everyday. You have inspired me to try it again and this time I have more recipes to go with. Thank you!

Cara January 27, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I’m so happy (and a little jealous) to hear that these last few weeks have brought you restored balance in more areas than one :)

Karriann January 28, 2012 at 9:10 am

Looks great! I will definitely try this recipe.

“Happy Cooking”

Barbara @ Barbara Bakes January 28, 2012 at 10:17 am

My goal is to stay on my diet until the end of March so I’ll have to try and find some balance during that time too. This looks like a perfect lunch. I’m going to try it with canned chicken since I’m allergic to fish.

Alan Cooke January 28, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Looks Great! The wife thanks you :) She just started the 17 day diet (and has me on it too, since I do the cooking…lol )

kelly January 30, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Jealous about the weight loss but so proud of you! made the tuna today and it was delicious! I added a bit of relish because I love it in all salads