Bowties with Creamy Pumpkin and Parmesan

by Aggies Kitchen on December 15, 2011

Pin It

Does anyone else feel like they are being swallowed up alive by the holidays? Man, it just gets SO busy this time of year. There’s just so much to do…some of it being obvious obligations like work and school, but there’s also so much other fun stuff going on that’s it’s so hard to fit it all in (and when you do then your house looks like a tornado hit it and you’re eating out almost every night). I was talking with a friend this morning and we were both saying how ‘overwhelmed’ was exactly what we didn’t want to be feeling 10 days before Christmas. We have talked the last few weeks about staying ahead of the game, not over committing ourselves, enjoying the moments, taking the time for reflection and family, but here we are…feeling overwhelmed. Sigh.

If you can relate, I’m sorry, but I just don’t know what to tell ya.

I guess all we can do is take a few deep breaths, wrap some gifts to get them off the list and make pasta. Because we all know pasta is the easiest and quickest way to get dinner on the table when you just don’t have it in ya to get dinner on the table.

Seriously…make this pasta. Your kids and husband will gobble it up. And so will you. If you don’t have kids or a husband, then you can have extra. Lucky lucky…

Bowties with Creamy Pumpkin and Parmesan

Recipe from Aggie’s Kitchen

serves 4

1 box whole wheat (or regular) bowtie pasta
2-3 tablespoons butter
3/4 15 oz can pumpkin puree (that’s what I had, but I would not have a problem using whole can next time)
3 tablespoons light sour cream or Greek yogurt
1/4 cup pasta water, reserved
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
freshly grated Parmesan cheese (lots of it!)

Cook pasta according to directions. When pasta is cooked, set aside 1/4 cup of pasta water before draining pasta. After draining pasta, put back into pot used for cooking.
Add butter, pumpkin, sour cream or Greek yogurt, and pasta water to pot. Gently stir until combined and creamy. Add salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. Serve with a freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

Enjoy!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray December 15, 2011 at 12:22 pm

This looks so great! Love how easy it is :)

Cassie December 15, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Aggie, this is going on my menu for next week! I feel exactly the same way…on top of craziness of the holidays, our church (of which my husband is an employee) has purchased a new building and we are launching this weekend, and of course Christmas services keep us busy anyway. Thanks for such a wonderful (and healthy!) weeknight meal!

Bev Weidner December 15, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Giiiiirl I feel ya! Every. single. night. is. taken.

But this pasta looks FAB and It’s going to be occurring in my mouth vera vera soon.

Georgia Pellegrini December 15, 2011 at 1:23 pm

This looks so heavenly. I can pretty much taste it. And yes, I feel like this month doesn’t even exist it’s going so fast!

Heather @ Heather's Dish December 15, 2011 at 1:28 pm

You must have read my mind…I’ve been cravin creamy pasta like my life depends on it!

Melissa @ Love Bug Living December 15, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Totally overhwelmed! Had to add a 1 year olds birthday party in with the rest of the stress! Sad that I can’t enjoy it all more. This looks delicious! Pinning it for later. :)

Erica December 15, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Book marked! Whoop. Love the use of Greek yogurt

BigFatBaker December 15, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Oooh this looks so tasty! I have a few cans of pumpkin I need to use up too :)
Don’t worry, I think everyone is feeling the pressure of the holidays. They say this is the most wonderful time of the year, and every year at this time I just want to cry. Hang in there and keep making delicious food! :)

Marly December 15, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I am right there with you, Miss Aggie! Feels like every minute is consumed which makes me feel so frazzled at times. But I’m trying to take the time to do some of my favorite things…like stopping by your blog. This recipe looks SO good. An easy one to veganize and share with my family. Bow ties – so cute!

Kim {Recipes To Run On} December 15, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Aggie, I have a fruit cake in the oven {a gift to my dad} and my kids are snuggled next to me eating their dinner while we watch The Next Iron Chef challenge….. Taking a few minutes to just enjoy down~time. Ugh, it’s been a full day. Love that your post relates how we are all feeling. Take some time for you my sweet Friend! Cheers! PS ~ This pasta sounds so good. I LOVE pumpkin so I’m anxious to try this.

Chris @ TheKeenanCookbook December 15, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Love how quick and easy this is.

Amy (Savory Moments) December 15, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I really love using pumpkin/squash to make pasta sauces. It’s so simple and delicious!

Lora @cakeduchess December 15, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Oh Aggie-I feel it. My last couple of posts have been about the exact same thing:)This pasta is wonderful and comforting. Delicious recipe, my dear. Let’s both take a deep breath in and enjoy the moments:)xx

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar December 15, 2011 at 10:14 pm

This sounds so yummy! I love adding pumpkin to pasta :)

JulieD December 15, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Oh I hear you, Aggie! Your pasta looks so good! Comfort food is a good thing right now. Hugs!

brandi December 16, 2011 at 8:45 am

easy meals like this are my saving grace this time of year :) i am TOTALLY overwhelmed with everything – we haven’t even started on gifts yet! but everything will be okay.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com December 16, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I feel ya. It get’s crazy busy during the holidays and I’ve lost track on eating delicious hearty foods. Been so busy going on a sugar high with all those cookies :D

Lori @ RecipeGirl.com December 17, 2011 at 9:52 am

This looks perfect for dinner since I’m a pasta fanatic. Yes, I’m being swallowed up by the holidays… but thankfully I did the large majority of my shopping online this year!

Happy holidays!!

Susan @ The Spice Garden December 17, 2011 at 10:01 am

I do remember the days of Christmas stress … and having kids and a job were the elements that stretched our days to the limit. You just want it all to be perfect for them and oh, by the way, don’t mess up on the job. It’s tough to get it all done … but you do and they love it (even when some of the edges are frayed). Relax … breath … make a do-able list and it will get done. Just think how Santa feels! Oh wait … legions of elves help out there!

Okay … enjoy the pasta while you make that do-able list and don’t forget to have a Merry Christmas! XO

Jen @ Savory Simple December 18, 2011 at 12:03 am

What a simple, delicious pasta!

Dmarie December 18, 2011 at 12:04 pm

looks simply delish!

Roxana GreenGirl {A little bit of everything} December 19, 2011 at 9:52 am

As much as I love the holidays I can’t wait to be over so i can find 5 minutes to relax a bit.
your pasta would make a perfect weeknight meal.
Happy holidays Aggie!

Marina {YummyMummyKitchen.com} December 19, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Is there anything better than creamy pumpkin and pasta? I think not. Such glorious fall comfort food. Yum! Thanks for your comment on YummyMummyKitchen.com :)

Ann December 20, 2011 at 1:58 am

I understand – there is truly not enough hours in the day for me right now! This dish is brilliant! It looks creamy and delicious!

Mrs December 20, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Made this for lunch today… it tasted good and was very filling :-)
Hubby says it needs a little something extra though (onions? garlic? ham?)…

Sandy @ RE December 21, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I am going to try this. I have all the ingredients. Yum, girl!

fittingbackin December 21, 2011 at 4:30 pm

This looks amazing!! I’m SO trying this – thanks for the great recipe!

Deborah December 23, 2011 at 10:10 am

I have all of this on hand right now, and no plans for dinner – you are a lifesaver!

This Christmas has seemed especially crazy and busy for some reason. I keep saying that one of these years, I’m going to have it all together so I can just enjoy everything. But it’s not this year!

Hawk January 9, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I tried this – but didn’t really work for me… really was missing something flavor-wise. Bummer. :(

Have your black eyed pea dip bookmarked though – can’t wait to try that one!

Katie January 17, 2012 at 1:43 pm

How did I miss this recipe? It looks awesome! So thankful the holidays are over! :)

natalie williamson January 24, 2012 at 5:00 pm

found your recipe delightful its nice to cook something without meat!!!

Mary @ Fit and Fed September 5, 2012 at 1:38 pm

It’s almost time for flavors like pumpkin and squash again! I love the butternut squash pasta sauce I can sometimes get at Costco but how easy is this, using pumpkin puree on pasta? I love pumpkin or squash ravioli but the chance of me making it at home is very small. This has the same flavor and is radically easy instead of hard. Score! Think I might add some warm spices to this like cinnamon or nutmeg.

donna bachhuber December 17, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Sounds great and soooo easy.

Kristi January 18, 2013 at 9:49 pm

I made this tonight for the first time and I have to say, this will become a staple in our house. I added sausage and sautéed collard greens to round it out as a whole meal and my family flipped over it. Thanks for such a great recipe. I just love your website.

Aggies Kitchen January 22, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Ok, your version sounds absolutely amazing!! Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing!