{Guest Post} Stuffed Zucchini from Not Rachael Ray

I invited Rachel of Not Rachael Ray over here today to share one of her yummy recipes with you. I have been reading Rachel’s blog for a few months now, we met on Twitter (right Rachel?), talking about food and fitness I’m sure, and I am so glad we did because I love her blog and her food! What makes her posts a little extra fun to read are her notes after each recipe she cooks, I love seeing what her and her husband’s thoughts are about the recipe and if there is anything she would do differently . And can I just say…her daughter is adorable! Thanks for being here Rachel…these Stuffed Zucchini look amazing!

Make sure you stop by Rachel’s blog and say hello!

*****************************************************************************************************

When Aggie asked me to guest post for her, I jumped at the chance. I’ve been reading her blog for awhile now and have loved it from the very beginning. Aggie and I are similar in many ways, family girls, healthy eaters (although I think she has better discipline in that department than I do), and fitness lovers.

I’ll quickly introduce myself, if you want to learn more, check out my blog and my about me page. I started my blog because I love cooking and baking, but I’m not a trained chef. I went to school to become a Doctor of Physical Therapy, and while I love that job, I have transitioned into being a stay-at-home mom. I still work at the hospital here and there when I’m needed, but most of the time I’m at home hanging out with my little girl. Being a stay-at-home mom has given me more time to try new recipes and document them on my blog for everyone else to try. It has become such a fun hobby and a new passion of mine.

Today I have some stuffed zucchini for you. It is a quick and easy side dish.

Typically I prepare zucchini one of two ways: Sautéed in a pan with or without other veggies, or thrown on the grill with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. Boring right? Especially when you write a food blog.

I think it scares my husband when I utter the words, “I tried something new today.” See, my husband loves all things traditional.

Having steak? It better be served up on a plate with some sautéed mushrooms.

Cooked carrots? Mashed up with chili powder? What?

Chocolate chip cookies? Hope there aren’t any oats or nuts included in the dough! (Side note: I read this post to him, and he said “Yeah, that really bugs me.” Ha!)

Carrot soup on the menu? Somebody will be walking through the door with carry-out bags.

In all honesty, he’s a really good sport and will try almost anything. And I’m not a horrible wife; I won’t make things if I am already certain he won’t like them. In fact, most times, I try to make things that he really is going to love. Like seared tunabraised lamb shanks, and BBQ chicken pizza.

However, sometimes I do live life a little bit on the edge and push the boundaries a bit. Because I write a food blog. And because I love trying new things. Pushing the boundaries is what I thought I was doing with this concoction. Hubs isn’t a big cheese lover (I know, so weird!), so I wasn’t entirely sure he would like these stuffed zucchini. But I figured he could always push the cheese out and still eat the zucchini. Win-win. Turns out he loved them.

They’re super easy and delicious and a fun new side dish. I used a spreadable cheese of the “savory vegetable” variety. This recipe would be great with a garlic-herb cheese spread, but hubs isn’t a huge garlic lover, and like I said, I’m not a completely horrible wife!

Stuffed Zucchini (makes 4 servings)
a Not Rachael Ray original

2 zucchinis
1/2 to 3/4 cup of spreadable cheese (pick your favorite variety)
1/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
Olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 350*F.
2. Cut off ends of zucchini and slice lengthwise so that you have four long halves. Using a spoon, hollow out the middle (take out the seeds) of each half, leaving a little bit on each end to prevent the filling from running out. Place zucchini on foil-lined sheet pan (for easy clean-up!).
3. Spread cheese into hollowed out zucchini.
4. Sprinkle with diced red bell pepper.
5. Cover each zucchini with breadcrumbs, and spritz with olive oil. (If you don’t have a spritzer, just drizzle as lightly as possible, or spray lightly with non-stick spray.)
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until zucchini is cooked and breadcrumbs are golden brown.

Verdict: These turned out so great! The zucchini was perfectly cooked and with the creamy cheese and crispy breadcrumbs, everything just worked. Great textural variety.
Husband’s take: Surprisingly, he said, “I actually really like them, they are good.” I practically fainted. Okay, not really. But I was pleasantly surprised.
Changes I would make: None.
Difficulty: Easy!

Thanks again for having me, Aggie!

23 Responses to “{Guest Post} Stuffed Zucchini from Not Rachael Ray”

1. Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray posted September 7, 2011 at 6:29 am

Thanks again for having me Aggie!

2. Nelly Rodriguez posted September 7, 2011 at 7:25 am

Loved seeing Rachel here, you BOTH are awesome tweeps! In other news…I love the use of that spreadable cheese! I bet it makes the zucchini super flavorful! Thanks for sharing!

3. Kelly posted September 7, 2011 at 7:35 am

Fabulous guest post Rachel! This looks so delicious! :)

4. JulieD posted September 7, 2011 at 7:43 am

This is so cool, Rachel. I’m definitely going to try this. I can’t believe your husband doesn’t like cheese!!

5. Christina @ This Woman Cooks! posted September 7, 2011 at 7:55 am

This looks fantastic Rachel! I love that you’ve stuffed it with cheese. Glad to see another zucchini recipe late in the game. :)

6. Amy | She Wears Many Hats posted September 7, 2011 at 8:05 am

Delish!

7. Karly posted September 7, 2011 at 8:17 am

I’m in shock that your husband isn’t a cheese fan. That’s just wrong. ;)

These look amazing!

8. Bev Weidner posted September 7, 2011 at 9:05 am

Holy crap, my husband hates cheese, too! Where have you been all my life?

• Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray posted September 7, 2011 at 2:52 pm

We should start a support group! It is a rough life being married to someone who doesn’t like cheese! ;)

9. Shannon posted September 7, 2011 at 9:51 am

Mmm…mmm…mmm does that ever look good. Simple, too! Thank you for sharing.

10. Jerry posted September 7, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Nice creative side dish or snack. I am really digging how you chosen to use panko bread crumbs on top :)

11. Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray posted September 7, 2011 at 2:32 pm

What a great recipe! I love zucchini and this looks like a fun way to jazz it up. :)

12. Kim {Recipes To Run On} posted September 7, 2011 at 4:14 pm

What a great recipe! So glad to “meet” Rachel. And, we LOVE Alouette around our house, so I cannot wait to make these. Great way to get veggies in my kids. Great app for me and my hubby.

13. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts posted September 7, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Just found your blog through Taste and Tell. Already a fan of Rachel’s! This is a great recipe. I am looking forward to checking out the rest of your site!

14. Paul posted September 8, 2011 at 10:12 am

Just what I need, simple, easy to make, taste good, and with fall coming using the oven is not a problem. Going to add Rachel to my list of blogs.

15. Geni posted September 8, 2011 at 1:34 pm

My mom just gave me a beautiful huge zucchini from her garden and i had no idea how I was going to get my picky hubby to eat it. I think I have found my secret weapon…this recipe! It sounds irresistible!

16. Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} posted September 8, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Those look fabulous! I love that you put cheese in it. Way to go at expanding your husbands horizons! ;)

17. Deborah posted September 9, 2011 at 10:02 am

Having a food blog has definitely changed the way I cook! It does make it a lot more fun, too. This zucchini looks fantastic – I’m always struggling for side dish ideas, so I’m going to remember this one!

18. Lenore posted September 11, 2011 at 11:47 am

I love zucchini, and I do the same thing Rachel does: grill or saute. This is such an easy, yummy idea for a new way to use them!

19. katie from Katie's Cucina posted September 15, 2011 at 10:30 am

mmmm this sounds awesome! I can’t wait to give these a try!

1. Pingback: 9 Creative Recipes for Surplus Summer Zucchini