Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Sauteed Chickpeas and Spinach
This Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Sauteed Chickpeas and Spinach dish has appeared in my kitchen many a Saturday night.
Why Saturday night?
Well, because on Saturday nights, unless I’m eating out or getting together with friends I’m usually feeling pretty lazy and don’t feel like making a huge fuss over dinner.
But because it’s Saturday night, I don’t want just a bowl of cereal or a sandwich either.
You can pretty much find everything in this pasta dish in my pantry or fridge any day of the week. That’s what’s so great about it. I’ve made it plenty of times without the fresh spinach, but I really prefer to have that punch of green on my plate (& its health benefits too). The freshly grated Parmesan and red pepper flakes make it extra delicious. In no time you’ll be curled up on your couch with your big bowl of pasta and remote feeling total comfort. You can worry about the dishes in the morning.
Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Sauteed Chickpeas & Spinach
Yield: 3-4 servings
- 1/2 13 oz box whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1 can garbanzo/chickpeas beans (I prefer Bush's Beans Garbanzos), rinsed and drained
- 2-3 bunches of fresh spinach
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- additional olive oil, to taste
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- While pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large saute pan. Add garlic and onions to pan and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until slightly soft, season with salt and pepper. Add chickpeas to onions and saute for another 5 minutes. Drain pasta, reserving about 1/4 cup of pasta water. Add fresh spinach to pan, add cooked pasta and pasta water over spinach and gently toss. Turn off heat.
- Before serving add an additional drizzle of olive oil over pasta. Season to taste with salt and red pepper flakes. Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
More vegetarian pasta recipes:
Angel Hair with Zucchini and Tomatoes | Skinnytaste
Creamy Goat Cheese Pasta with Spinach and Roasted Mushrooms | Two Peas and Their Pod
Spicy Roasted Ratatouille with Spaghetti | Cookie + Kate