- 1/2 13 oz box whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1 can garbanzo/chickpeas beans (I prefer Bush’s Beans Garbanzos), rinsed and drained
- 2–3 bunches of fresh spinach
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- additional olive oil, to taste
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- While pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large saute pan. Add garlic and onions to pan and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until slightly soft, season with salt and pepper. Add chickpeas to onions and saute for another 5 minutes. Drain pasta, reserving about 1/4 cup of pasta water. Add fresh spinach to pan, add cooked pasta and pasta water over spinach and gently toss. Turn off heat.
- Before serving add an additional drizzle of olive oil over pasta. Season to taste with salt and red pepper flakes. Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.