Grilled Banana Boats

Would you be mad at me for posting this short and sweet like the recipe?

I made these for the family over the weekend after a nice grilled dinner.  I got the idea while flipping through Steamy Kitchen’s cookbook…was surprised to find them in there!  What surprised me even more is that I didn’t think of them myself!  These guys were so awesome…and such a great way to end a meal…practically guilt free.

IMG_0173

Start of by laying your banana on its side, using a pairing knife gently slice through skin and banana making sure to not cut through to the other side.  Once you’ve made your slice, tuck in your fixings.  You can stuff them with whatever suits you…chocolate candy bars, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, caramels, coconut, chopped nuts.   The sound of it all is heavenly isn’t it?  Place them on hot grill over indirect heat and cook until soft and skins are black.  You have to check on them and touch them a bit.

We used what we had on hand…chocolate chips, coconut and toasted and chopped hazelnuts.  My kids were not as excited as Larry and I were…apparently the “melted” version of chocolate chips were not the same as the solid form.  And for my daughter who for some odd reason does not like chocolate, I took a chance and tried butterscotch chips on hers.  Nah.  So, Larry and I enjoyed ours and theirs….and we were absolutely okay with that.

56 Responses to “Grilled Banana Boats”

1. Jamie posted March 22, 2010 at 8:14 pm

What a cool idea Aggie! A great dessert for all the upcoming grilling times. What a neat presentation too!

2. Erica posted March 22, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Oh my gosh! These look incredible! Totally making these for our company this weekend

3. Jenny Flake posted March 22, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Gorgeous!! Love this idea Aggie, looks so good!

4. fittingbackin posted March 22, 2010 at 9:08 pm

I would have NEVER thought to make this – how clever!! Looks SO fancy – love it!

5. Sarah posted March 22, 2010 at 9:30 pm

I love this recipe! What a great after school or weekend snack. The filling possibilities are endless.

6. robert posted March 23, 2010 at 2:20 am

Thanks – I found grilled banana splits on FN back in aug 09. Had fun making them –

7. Leslie posted March 23, 2010 at 7:03 am

Yep..I have done a the same thing but with different ingredients…The hubby and I love them but the kids wouldn’t even touch them!!! weirdos!

8. patsy posted March 23, 2010 at 7:58 am

Love this idea! Something different for a dessert… and with bananas they at least seem healthier!

9. Cara posted March 23, 2010 at 8:42 am

You’ve got me seriously drooling over this one!

10. Chelsey posted March 23, 2010 at 9:31 am

Sometimes the simplest recipes are the best recipes. I love caramelized bananas. I have yet to make them on the grill though, I can only imagine the flavor they get. The butterscotch chips sound like a winner to me!

11. justine posted March 23, 2010 at 10:00 am

what a great, easy treat!

12. leslie posted March 23, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Oooh yum! Trying this week!

13. Sandy posted March 23, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Oh yum, I’ve got to make these for Balcony Girls! YUM!

14. Allison posted March 23, 2010 at 9:55 pm

WOW!!! Looks delish – can’t wait to try!!

15. Striving Bean posted March 23, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Wow – looks fantastic. I love the versatility too!

16. Girl Japan (so spiffy) posted March 23, 2010 at 11:18 pm

This is so unique, I’ve never heard of it before? How are you Aggie?

17. Marilyn posted March 24, 2010 at 12:29 am

We make these all the time when camping. We usually put in marshmallows and chocolate chips. YUM! We wrap them in foil and place them over the campfire.

18. Jenn (www.j3nn.net) posted March 24, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Such a great idea! Time to take out the grill and give it a whirl. :)

Jenn

19. Bridgett posted March 26, 2010 at 2:36 am

Mind sending me one to help cure pms? This has to be a perfect cure. Chocolate chips, coconut, banana…how can you go wrong? Your photos are stellar, Aggie!

20. Kerstin posted March 26, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I have really fond memories of making these when I was a Girl Scout! They are SO gooey and delicious. We would always wrap them in tin foil and stick them on the fire – yum!

21. Maria posted March 26, 2010 at 1:31 pm

What a fun treat!

22. Amy B. posted March 26, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Wow, youve got good imagination and sense of creativity! I would definitely have to try this one out. Kids would sure love this treat! Looks exciting to eat too :-)

thanks for sharing this! and please keep it up, keep em coming! :)

23. teresa posted March 27, 2010 at 6:09 pm

this is such a fun dessert! my family would love this!

24. zerrin posted March 28, 2010 at 11:45 am

This is fantastic! A great idea! Looks scrumptious!

25. katie posted March 29, 2010 at 8:53 am

we do this camping! fill them with chocolate chips and marshmallows, then wrap them in aluminum foil and warm them over the fire! :)

26. pita bread posted March 29, 2010 at 11:02 pm

I would have never thought of this, but sure am glad somebody did. A definite try for the grilling season!

27. Marc @ NoRecipes posted March 30, 2010 at 9:24 am

Cool idea! I once steamed pork and rice in banana peels before, but I’ve never thought of grilling them. Great use of something most people throw away.

28. Lauren posted March 30, 2010 at 9:56 am

Oh my gosh, this looks FABULOUS! I can’t wait to try different toppings. There are so many possibilities…

29. Kath posted March 30, 2010 at 10:41 am

This was always a great Girl Scout camping treat. (Except for my daughter, who hates everything about bananas. Odd.)

30. Cindy posted March 30, 2010 at 11:02 am

I too have had trouble getting my kids to enjoy baked bananas and it makes no sense to me. These look divine! Thanks.

31. thepinkpeppercorn posted March 30, 2010 at 11:44 am

HAVE to love this!

32. Diana's Cocina posted March 31, 2010 at 10:42 am

I love this idea. I’m all over it, I know what our dessert will be tonight!

33. kathy posted April 2, 2010 at 12:11 am

Nice idea! This looks yummy. I love banana and your grilled banana boats is really creative. I’ll try this later. Thanks! :-)

34. Kevin (Closet Cooking) posted April 8, 2010 at 9:47 pm

I really like the sound of doing bananas like this!

35. mrs ptb posted April 9, 2010 at 9:43 pm

I don’t even like bananas and I want to make these for my whole family this summer at the shore.

Looks delicious thanks for sharing!

36. Becky posted April 20, 2010 at 4:37 pm

What a fun idea for a light dessert. We’ll have to try it out this summer!

37. pegasuslegend posted May 13, 2010 at 5:42 am

I love this idea, I cant imagine why the kids didnt like them….interesting, wonder what would inspire them to like them…. never seen such a creative dessert ….its awesome~ and nice job on being on Hugginthe coast this week thats were I just saw this :)

38. Melissa posted May 27, 2010 at 7:58 am

Takes me back to 4H camp. Would be nice to enjoy one again without having to swim in a leech-infested lake to earn it . . .

39. Kat posted June 8, 2010 at 8:46 pm

This brought back great memories of girl scout campouts. We always had bananas stuffed with chocolate chips & marshmallows, and s’mores. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. :)

40. Jared posted September 22, 2010 at 3:08 pm

I love this recipe. We tried it for the first time when we had our family get together in San Marcos, Texas. These were great for everyone to sit out by the pool and eat! Delicious.
    -Jared
    Bambu Rolling Papers

41. Habibies posted October 25, 2010 at 9:54 am

Yummmmmmmmy my Mouth full of water after seeing this :P lol

42. Gila posted January 17, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Yum! I made these for company yesterday with chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, flaked coconut, and a mixture of chopped almonds, walnuts, and pecans. Rave reviews all around :-) and so easy, too!

43. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen posted July 22, 2011 at 10:55 am

Awesome! I love love this!! Get better soon:)

44. Nichol posted July 22, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Yum these look incredible! I would definitely dig into these.

45. Sophie posted June 27, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Just came across this recipe on Babble, and i’m officially in love. Looks delicious, and such fun for the kids. Can’t wait to fire up the grill!!! :)

46. Mandy posted October 1, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Its also possible to make these in the microwave! They taste heavenly.

• Aggies Kitchen posted October 3, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Awesome. So glad you told me that! Am going to try, thanks!

1. Pingback: Web morsels | Fix Me A Snack

2. Pingback: Grilled Chocolate Banana Boats Recipe (Fruit Dessert Recipes …

3. Pingback: Aggie’s Kitchen Visits RE: Grilled Banana Boats! — Reluctant Entertainer

4. Pingback: Banana Boats on the Grill | Family Kitchen

5. Pingback: Guest Post: Memorial Day Healthy Eating Ideas | RecipeLionBlog

6. Pingback: 50 sites para conhecer antes do mundo acabar – 1# Endlesssimmer 100 way to cook « Boldness – The Open Blog!

7. Pingback: Memorial Day Recipes 5/28 | Xtreme Couponing With Dee Dee