Beans, beans, beans…

by Aggies Kitchen on February 22, 2010

I’m a big fan of beans.  I know that sounds funny in its own way, but seriously, those little guys are one of my favorite foods.  I love adding them to soups, salads, pasta or whirled around smooth in a dip.  Not only are they tasty, they are actually good for you too.

A few of my faves…

IMG_9345 Bean dip IMG_1262.JPG copy

About a month ago I was presented with an awesome opportunity to visit Napa Valley as a guest of Bush’s Beans to cook up some chili with 3 other bloggers and Connie Gutterson, RD at the Culinary Institute of America.  I know right?  I’ve been over the moon about the trip…not only do I get to visit wine country with three other fabulous foodies, Amy, Sandy and Tina …but I get to do what I love…cook!  Pinch me now…

I will be heading to California on Wednesday, but I will leave you with my newest favorite recipe using beans, Artichoke Hummus.  I found the recipe over at Itzy’s Kitchen and served it to friends over the weekend…it got rave reviews…and a few of them are waiting on this post for the recipe.  Good stuff!

Stay tuned for a few guests that will be dropping into Aggie’s Kitchen to share their recipes!  I’ll see you when I get back…with lots of photos and maybe a few tips or two that I pick up along the way!

(Oh…and to keep things on the up and up here’s a little disclaimer…Bush Beans is covering the costs of my trip.)

Artichoke Hummus

Artichoke Hummus

Recipe adapted from Broccoli Hut

(Printable Recipe)

(I doubled original recipe – and added some olive oil)

2 cup canned chickpeas/garbanzos
1 can canned artichoke hearts, quarters, or pieces, drained
juice 1 small lemon
3 T. tahini
3 clove garlic, minced
2 t. dried oregano
salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
1/4-1/3 cup olive oil, streamed into food processor while blending

Place beans, artichokes, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper into food processor. Pulse until consistency is smooth. Stream in olive oil until desired consistency. Taste for salt. Enjoy with fresh vegetables such as celery sticks, cucumber slices and carrot sticks or baked tortilla and pita chips.

dawn February 22, 2010 at 4:25 pm

I LOVE artichoke in hummus. This looks to die for.

dawn February 22, 2010 at 4:26 pm

and yeah, how did you score such a fab trip? lucky you!!!!

Maria February 22, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Have so much fun! I can’t wait to hear about your trip!

fittingbackin February 22, 2010 at 5:29 pm

yummy!! That hummus looks awesome and what a COOL opportunity!

Bob February 22, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Have a good time on your trip! Oh and the hummus looks great. :)

Jenny Flake February 22, 2010 at 5:33 pm

YUM Aggie, have so much fun on your trip, what an awesome opportunity :) Take lots of pics for us!!

HoneyB February 22, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Yahoo! Congrats Aggie! Have a great trip!

BTW, the hummus looks delish!

Melissa February 22, 2010 at 6:11 pm

That’s so wonderful! I hope you have a great time. It’s sure to be not only fun with the learning and the cooking and whatnot, and also sure to be beautiful.

(And I love beans too! Looooove.)

Erica February 22, 2010 at 9:30 pm

oh my gosh! I am so jealous! What a trip! I love beans too…I eat them at least once a day…sometimes twice :) Isn’t that hummus just the best? Broccoli hut is a genius :) Have so much! Take lots of pictures for us

Jamie February 22, 2010 at 11:31 pm

We love using beans here too Aggie and they really are so good for you. You know I’m super excited for you about your blogger trip. I can’t wait to hear all about it.

bellini valli February 23, 2010 at 9:21 am

How exciting Aggie. I visited Napa when I was in California last year and you are in for a real treat!!

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen February 23, 2010 at 6:09 pm

All those recipes look great – being a big fan of beans myself! Have a GREAT time in CA!

Cajun Chef Ryan February 23, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Great hummus recipe here! And artichokes too? Wow!

Jenn (www.j3nn.net) February 24, 2010 at 6:47 am

I love beans, too! That hummus looks divine. :)

Jenn

Amy from She Wears Many Hats February 24, 2010 at 7:34 am

Yum! Hummus!

Can’t wait to meet you – soon.

Jessie February 24, 2010 at 8:40 am

have fun on your trip! I adore beans too I love having it in soups most of the time.

Chickpeas made into hummus is actually one of my favorite dips to snack on. It is tasty yet so good for you.

Diana @ frontyardfoodie February 24, 2010 at 10:13 am

I love SOME beans. Black beans and chick peas are my favs.

Definitely huge into hummus! I haven’t tried it with artichoke but I’m sure it’s super delicious. I use TONS more lemon juice though in mine and I think its’ because I’m addicted to the tang. hehe

Amy (Sing For Your Supper) February 24, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I love beans too! (It does sound a little odd, doesn’t it??) ;-) The hummus looks fantastic!!

Liz - Meal Makeover Mom February 25, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Beans are awesome! They’re the “Vegetable with More!!” Every time my kids eat them I smile b/c I know they’re getting a serving of vegetables. Have a great time in Napa Valley — the place I’d live if I could live anywhere in the world — and say hi to Connie for me!!