Roasted Veggie and Black Bean Burritos

Lately, I’ve been trying to have more “veggie” meals for dinner.  You will not miss the meat in this burrito.  The flavor is awesome…smoky sweetness from the roasted sweet potatoes and vegetables combined with a nice kick from the jalapenos.  The black beans bulk it up, the cilantro keeps it fresh…and the melted cheese puts it over the top.  It might seem like an odd combination, but trust me, it works.

To make things easier for myself at dinner time, I chopped and roasted the veggies earlier in the day.  I stored them and the black beans in the fridge until I was ready to roll up the burritos later on.  I chopped the veggies fairly small, a little less than 1″ in size…the smaller the cut of the vegetables the quicker they roast up.  And keeping them cut small and uniform helps while stuffing the tortilla wrap.

I can’t begin to tell you how healthy and yummy these guys were…I ate leftovers for lunch all week.

Pin It

Roasted Veggie and Black Bean Burritos

A hearty and flavorful vegetarian bean burrito that everyone will love.

Ingredients

• Roasted Veggie and Black Bean Baked Burritos
  • Recipe from Aggie's Kitchen
  • (printable recipe)
  • 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (small)
  • 1 red pepper, cubed (small)
  • 1 red onion cubed (small)
  • 2 jalapenos, diced (if you want less heat sub another red pepper)
  • 1tsp cumin
  • 1tsp chili powder
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • can black beans, rinsed (I like to use Bush's Black Beans)
  • handful chopped cilantro
  • squeeze lime
  • shredded cheddar
  • Whole Wheat Tortillas or Wraps (burrito size - I used Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Tortillas)
  • nonstick olive oil spray

Instructions

1. In a bowl, toss veggies in olive oil and season with spices. Place in large baking dish and roast in 425 degree oven for 20 minutes, tossing around halfway in between.
  2. Let cool. Add to a bowl of rinsed black beans. Add cilantro and squirt of lime juice. Combine gently. At this point, mixture can be stored for later use. Warm wraps in microwave according to directions on package. Add two heaping tablespoons of vegetable and bean mixture to center of wrap. Top with shredded cheese. Fold over, fold in sides and continue to roll. Place on baking dish, seam side down and spray with nonstick spray or olive oil spray. Bake in 375 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Baking this way will make tortilla wrap crisp. For a softer burrito, spray burrito with nonstick spray, then wrap in aluminum foil and bake for same amount of time.
  3. Makes about 6 burritos.
  4. Tip: Premake your burritos and wrap in aluminum foil. Keep in refrigerator for 3-4 days for a quick lunch or dinner!

IMG_9345

93 Responses to “Roasted Veggie and Black Bean Burritos”

1. Maria posted February 12, 2010 at 2:26 pm

I have made something similar. I love roasted veggies in so many ways. Your photos are fabulous. I will have to make this soon!

2. Ed Schenk@ Detroit Eats posted February 12, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Great photos. The recipe lloks good. Very healthy

3. Erica posted February 12, 2010 at 2:36 pm

oh my gosh drool-Aggie! These look out of this world good. So up my alley. Great recipe! Now if I can only get Josh to like sweet potatoes too ;)

4. Jen posted February 12, 2010 at 2:53 pm

These look amazing. I love vegetarian meals and veggie burritos are one of my faves. Definitely want to try these!

5. Meghan posted February 12, 2010 at 3:19 pm

these look so good! The sweet potatoes are a great addition. Love your photos :)

6. Jamie posted February 12, 2010 at 4:39 pm

What an interesting combo Aggie but oh so healthy. I really need to make more veggie dishes like this. Thanks for the inspiration.

7. Mags posted February 12, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Oh man, this is like my sweet potato hash (plus the extra goodness of the black beans) all wrapped up neatly into a burrito. Breakfast on the go, definitely. I love this idea.

8. Cara posted February 12, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Not a strange combo at all! In fact, sweet potato – or pumpkin, or any winter squash – plus black beans is one of my favorites. It goes back to a recipe I discovered in a Moosewood cookbook for sweet potato & black bean burritos. The first time I made them, I told my husband we were having burritos for dinner and he immediately asked, “What kind of meat?” None. “What kind of cheese?” None. He was skeptical at first, but totally hooked after trying them! I now have a spin-off recipe on my blog for baked butternut & black bean eggrolls.

Oh and for another great combo – add scrambled eggs for an awesome breakfast burrito! At a diner near my college, my favorite savory dish was their breakfast burrito with eggs, black beans, cheddar, and sweet potato hash (my favorite sweet was their gingerbread pancakes, like giant fluffy cookies!)

• nickjaa posted May 13, 2013 at 5:46 am

sweet potatoes and black beans are made for each other

9. Jenny Flake posted February 12, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Looks fantasitc Aggie!! YUM!

10. Bob posted February 12, 2010 at 10:23 pm

That looks awesome, I bet I wouldn’t even miss the meat.

11. Fallon posted February 13, 2010 at 1:43 am

Oh this looks so good!!! Gotta make this sometime this week. I’m also trying to eat more veggies and this just hit the spot!

12. Jenn (www.j3nn.net) posted February 13, 2010 at 7:26 am

This looks delish! Love roasted veggies and beans, they sound great in a burrito. Yum :)

Jenn

13. Leslie posted February 13, 2010 at 8:24 am

mmmmm.this is a veggie lovers dream!

14. Misty posted February 13, 2010 at 9:34 am

What a great idea! I love anything rolled up burrito style and who doesn’t need more veggies in their diet. I’m gonna try this one fo shizzle!! :)

15. fittingbackin posted February 13, 2010 at 12:52 pm

oh these look so fabulous and fresh – great recipe!

16. bellini valli posted February 13, 2010 at 6:28 pm

If you can eat these every day and be happy and satisfied they musy be so delicious!!!!

17. Rosa posted February 13, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Those healthy burritos look fantastic! I love the filling!

Cheers,

Rosa

18. Girl Japan (so spiffy) posted February 14, 2010 at 3:34 am

Aggie I LOVE this recipe.. I really do, I was able to get some whole wheat flour Tortilla’s .. I wonder if I can substitute pumpkin as well?

19. grace posted February 14, 2010 at 4:35 am

there’s not a trace of doubt in my mind that this isn’t completely scrumptious–the black beans! the jalapenos! the cilantro! what a wonderful supper. :)

20. Kerstin posted February 14, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Mmm, I love sweet potatoes and black beans together – what a fabulous meal!

21. Cajun Chef Ryan posted February 15, 2010 at 9:41 am

Great burrito here! Nice snaps too!

22. The Wife@One Couples Kitchen posted February 15, 2010 at 10:35 am

We adore burritos – really all things mexican. The color in these is beautiful!

23. Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen posted February 15, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Those look awesome! Reminds me of the black bean and sweet potato burritos we usually enjoy at the Saint Augustine farmers market! Delicious!

24. HoneyB posted February 15, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Aggie, this looks De-Licious!

25. Kristi Rimkus posted February 15, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Wow! Right up my alley. I’ve saved this. Roasted veggies are a favorite. Thanks!

26. Ninette posted February 16, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Mmm! So yummy. Aggie, THANK YOU so much for being my blog mentor. Thank you, thank you.

27. rita posted February 19, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Looks delicious! I love your plate too, so elegant looking.

28. Jennifer posted February 21, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Oh YUM!!! I love roasted veggies but never think to throw them in a wrap! thanks for the inspiration! I know whats for lunch this week :)

29. Liz - Meal Makeover Mom posted February 21, 2010 at 8:55 pm

I love the combo of the roasted sweet potato and roasted red onion. Yum. My boys — hubby included — would definitely love this recipe.

30. Tigli posted February 22, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Wow, these looks so amazing, and really remind me of an amazing dish I had at this hip little organic restaurant in Columbus, Oh (unfortunately I can’t remember the name of it).

And the weird thing is, everytime I see a sweet potato, I instantly think, “Gross, I hate those.” But when I saw them in this wrap, before I even realized they were sweet potatoes, I knew what they would taste like and thought, “Oh wow, I want these.” It’s strange, but I guess that is just me. :)

Thanks for such an awesome recipe. Can’t wait to try it!

31. jenna posted June 23, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I love the Ezekiel brand. Had this for lunch today! Subbed the reg cheese for soy and…voilà! VEGAN roasted veggie and black bean burritos. Thanks for another amazing recipe, Aggie.

32. Katie posted July 1, 2010 at 2:17 pm

never thought about baking the burrito to make it crisp – what a great idea! These look delicious :)

33. Ninette posted October 12, 2010 at 10:16 pm

These look great, and I’m not a big veggie eater!

34. Earl Piltz posted November 13, 2010 at 9:27 am

Thank you , I love to read about other vegansas it gives me the strength to continue. I have about a thousand vegetarian feeds in my google reader, but I’m sure another can’t hurt!! I did manage to find a good lentil recipe here, but I’ll be sure to try yours too. Thanks!

35. Sam posted April 26, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I’ve made this recipe a number of times. Always turns out great!

36. queenann posted May 2, 2011 at 7:53 pm

This has become a staple at our house. I make it regularly!
    Thank you.

37. Sarah H. posted August 15, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Making this for the first time tonight. I’m excited to see that what I’m making is turning out as beautifully as the pictures above! Yum.

38. KS posted January 16, 2012 at 3:45 am

Is this that healthy? The cheese aside, roasting the veggies means heating up the olive oil, which supposedly makes the olive oil just as unhealthy as any other oil (if not more so).

39. Steve posted January 18, 2012 at 9:36 am

I made these last night after seeing them on Gojee and visiting here. They were delicious! Excellent texture and flavor. I also entered all of my ingredients into a calorie counter and ended up with only @300 calories per serving, going very light on the cheese.

• Aggies Kitchen posted January 18, 2012 at 10:03 am

Hi Steve! Thank you so much for the comment about the recipe!! And even better knowing they are only 300 calories a serving!

• Steve posted January 18, 2012 at 10:10 am

Tortilla selection will impact the calories. I used a Flat Out multigrain wrap.

• Aggies Kitchen posted January 18, 2012 at 10:11 am

I love Flat Outs! I will have to try them with this recipe. I usually pick up La Tortilla, I think they are around 100 calories too (can’t remember which kind, but I think the package they come in are a green color).

40. Lauren posted September 11, 2012 at 6:57 pm

I made these tonight and they are OH SO GOOD. What a good combination of vegetables with the perfect amount of kick. I’m a wimp when it comes to spiciness, but I love it, so I put some Greek yogurt on mine to cut the heat a little :)
    Thanks for the super awesome recipe!

• Aggies Kitchen posted September 12, 2012 at 11:07 am

Hi Lauren! Thank you so much for letting me know, glad you enjoyed them!! They are a favorite around here…it’s been too long since I made them actually.

41. Kristin posted October 2, 2012 at 11:48 am

Wow! Can I just tell you how happy I was to see this recipe on Pinterest?! The veggie combination is not strange to me at all. The orange color of the sweet potato contrasting with the black beans makes this dish look so appetizing! Thank you for the recipe, I can’t wait to make these for my Fiance, he will be so pleased.

• Aggies Kitchen posted October 3, 2012 at 1:12 pm

yay, so happy you found these on Pinterest. One of my favorites for sure! I hope you love them as much as I do :)

42. Cobwebs, Cupcakes & Crayons posted October 3, 2012 at 3:07 pm

These were delicious! Found the recipe on Pinterest. My little family of three loved it. Just posted it to my blog…linking back to you of course! :)

Kelly
    Cobwebs, Cupcakes & Crayons

43. Alison posted October 8, 2012 at 10:29 am

Hi Aggie! Like so many other commenters, I found this recipe on Pinterest. Everything about it sounds delicious! I do have a question – do you think they would freeze well, either pre-or-post baking?

Thanks!
    Alison

• Aggies Kitchen posted October 8, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Hi Alison! So glad you found the recipe! I have never tried freezing it myself (but need to!) – I’m thinking they would turn out fine wrapped in aluminum first then in a freezer bag pre-baked. Next time I make them I will have to experiment with it. Thanks for stopping by!

44. Joyce posted December 25, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe! I just made it today and it was delicious.

[I found that salsa or hot sauce served on the side makes it even more fabulous!]

Thanks again,
    Joyce.

45. Kimberley posted January 21, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Delish!!!….skipped the tortillas , followed the recipe and added the cheese to the cooled veggie/bean mixture plus fresh spinach and piled it inside pillsbury crescent dough ( seal all the perferations and make a rectangle)…soooo darn good!!!

• Aggies Kitchen posted January 22, 2013 at 11:29 am

Love that!!! Sounds delish!

46. Courtney posted February 13, 2013 at 10:22 am

could I makethese and and freeze them before I bake them?

• Aggies Kitchen posted February 15, 2013 at 12:56 pm

I personally haven’t tried that yet, but I have heard from others that they had!

47. Sara posted March 10, 2013 at 8:54 pm

This looks perfect for lunch! Do you have the nutritional information?

• Aggies Kitchen posted March 11, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Thanks! It’s a favorite! I have never calculated the nutritional info but there are plenty of websites that have great recipe calculators. Here’s one I’ve used before on My Fitness Pal – http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/calculator

Hope that helps! Enjoy!

48. natural cotton bedding posted May 16, 2013 at 12:49 am

This website was… how do you say it? Relevant!
    ! Finally I have found something which helped me. Thanks!

49. Danilo Santos posted June 12, 2013 at 5:40 pm

I ate this for meal and my experience is…… Sooo delicious! That’s why i’m so proud every day to be vegan :D

50. Gan posted July 30, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Made this delicious burrito for the first time the other night – so, so good! Where I vegan-ized it by adding non-dairy cheese, my fiance added some chicken to his. Such a healthy, versatile recipe that feels like real comfort food!

• Aggies Kitchen posted July 31, 2013 at 9:14 am

Love how you made it work for both you and your fiance!! Great feedback, thank so much!

51. Renee posted October 19, 2013 at 10:40 pm

We LOVE these burritos! Even my hubbs, who has an aversion to meatless meals, raves about them. Such an easy and delicious recipe! Thank you!

52. Kika posted December 17, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Love these-great flavor. Nice change from our regular rice/blk bean burritos.

• Aggies Kitchen posted December 28, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Thank you!

53. Grace posted February 6, 2014 at 9:31 pm

How do you think these would taste cold?
    Looking for something similar for lunches but don’t have access to a microwave or anything to heat lunch up.
    Thanks

• Aggies Kitchen posted February 10, 2014 at 10:39 am

I don’t know how they would taste cold really, I’m not a huge fan of cold sweet potatoes so if you think you would like the way they taste cold then I would try it!

• Pam posted April 23, 2014 at 12:06 am

I eat them cold Grace. I make them up and take them for lunch and they are great! But then again, I’m a little weird considering I love all kinds of cold leftover food such as Pizza, Lasagna, mac & cheese and Broccoli Cheese soup. I like cold sweet potato fries too!

54. Pam posted April 7, 2014 at 8:29 pm

I make this all the time now and we love it. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe!

55. story posted July 29, 2014 at 10:25 pm

Did a version of this on my blog — great for freezing and lunches for work. Thanks for sharing.

• Aggies Kitchen posted July 31, 2014 at 7:25 am

thank you!

1. Pingback: Groceries « Thinking Out Loud

2. Pingback: Roasted Veggie and Black Bean Burritos |

3. Pingback: Vegetarian September 2012 Menu | OAMC from Once A Month Mom

4. Pingback: Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos | Fland-Made

5. Pingback: Roasted veggie burritos/ wraps, or Sam’s progress in showing Tyler there are other vegetables than peppers | Crying in the Kitchen

6. Pingback: Weekly Love |

7. Pingback: Saturday Shares | From Florida to North Dakota

8. Pingback: What I Ate…Tuesday! | Levels

9. Pingback: Roasted Vegetable & Black Bean Burritos | Kate's Recipe Box

10. Pingback: Roasted Veggie and Black Bean Burritos |

11. Pingback: Black Bean and Sweet Potato Enchilada Bake | Aggie's Kitchen

12. Pingback: Eat MORE Veggies and LESS Meat – A Flexitarian Approach to Eating | enspire balance

13. Pingback: 15 Unforgettable Burritos Recipes

14. Pingback: Roasted Veggie and Black Bean Burritos

15. Pingback: Goth Panda

16. Pingback: 3 ways to maintain sanity during the weekend | venuswomanblog

17. Pingback: Roasted Veggie and Black Bean Burrito | Alla Buona Derrata

18. Pingback: 20 Best Vegetarian Recipes

19. Pingback: ShannieLu — That's Who! | Meals for Mom’s – It’s easier than you think.

20. Pingback: Roasted Veggie & Black Bean Burritos

21. Pingback: Pinterest Recipe of the Week- Roasted Veggie & Black Bean Burritos | savoring saturdays

22. Pingback: Stylish! | Politzkiville