Asian Couscous Salad

Asian Couscous Salad

Apparently I’ve been on a salad kick lately…at least from looking at my last few posts.

This one was another spontaneous creation.  I was trying to throw together something quick to take to the park for lunch…a few moms and our kids were meeting up for an afternoon at the playground, and while the kids were eating their PB&Js, we ate this salad.

Asian Couscous Salad

If you haven’t tried couscous yet, you must try it soon.  It is so unbelievably quick to cook up, so that in itself is a huge reason why.  Plus, if you are into whole grains, the whole wheat couscous is packed with protein and fiber…all good for you.  I combined the cooked couscous with a bag of pre-shredded coleslaw, some additional shredded carrots, sliced green onion and sliced toasted almonds…then tossed with a homemade tangy vinaigrette made easily with pantry ingredients.  The pictures shown are missing the almonds though…I forgot to add them until after the “photo shoot”!  I probably could have gone back and retaken the pics but then in all reality who knows when this recipe would have actually been posted…

Enjoy!

Asian Couscous Salad

Asian Couscous Salad
Recipe from Aggie’s Kitchen

(Printable Recipe)

1 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous
1 1/4 cup water
3/4 of 16 oz bag of pre-shredded coleslaw mix
2 carrots, shredded
3-4 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup sliced and toasted almonds
1/3 cup crunchy chow mein noodles (optional)
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil (or oil of your preference)
1 TB hoisin sauce
1 TB honey
1-2 cloves minced or pressed garlic
salt and pepper to taste

In small bowl, whisk together rice wine vinegar, oil, hoisin, honey, garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.

Bring 1 1/4 cups water to boil. Add 1 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous. Take off heat and set aside for 5 minutes. Once couscous has absorbed water, fluff with a fork and let cool.

In large bowl combine shredded coleslaw mix, carrots, green onion and almonds (and crunchy noodles if adding). Add cooled couscous to mixture and gently combine. Add dressing to salad and toss. Taste for additional salt and pepper. Can be served immediately at room temperature or refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.

26 Responses to “Asian Couscous Salad”

1. MaryMoh posted February 1, 2010 at 11:04 am

Healthy & delicious….yum. I can have that for lunch, maybe with some chopped red chilies added to it.

2. Erica posted February 1, 2010 at 11:23 am

YUM! Sounds just fantastic. This would be a great side dish at my husbands birthday party! I might just have to make it. Thank you Aggie!

3. Bob posted February 1, 2010 at 1:50 pm

That sounds and looks wicked good. I’ve been trying to convince my girlfriend to try couscous, I’m almost there. Heh.

4. Natalie (The Sweets Life) posted February 1, 2010 at 1:57 pm

yum, this looks awesome! i’m a fan of couscous but rarely cook with it…need to try this!

perfect for a potluck too ;)

5. bellini valli posted February 1, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Can’t wait for picnic season here in the Great White North.

6. Jessie posted February 1, 2010 at 5:37 pm

wow that is a lot of flavor going on for a salad, I love it!

7. sharon posted February 1, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Mmmm…this is perfect picnic food!

8. teresa posted February 1, 2010 at 6:13 pm

keep the salad posts a’comin, i love them!

9. April Marie (so spiffy) posted February 1, 2010 at 9:04 pm

This looks fabulous Aggie? How have you been? Your site always makes me smile… bright and inviting.

10. Cindy posted February 1, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Looks like a great way to get rid of extra cabbage, the old coleslaw gets old sometimes. I don’t know why, I feel like adding some raisins or dry cranberries in there too…

• Aggies Kitchen posted February 2, 2010 at 5:50 am

I actually thought raisins would be great in there too! But didn’t have any… next time! :)

11. Cate O'Malley posted February 1, 2010 at 11:19 pm

Love couscous, and now, love the idea of it in a salad – delish!

12. eatingRD posted February 1, 2010 at 11:49 pm

looks wonderful and fresh, yay for salad kicks!

13. Bridgett posted February 2, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Aggie, this salad is gorgeous…just look at the colors. I have been looking for a great and easy asian dish to try out and this one is definitely worth a go. Yummy!

14. Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen posted February 2, 2010 at 3:17 pm

I am really loving the salads lately!

15. Leslie posted February 2, 2010 at 7:17 pm

What a wonderful yummy salad! My kids love couscous!

16. fittingbackin posted February 2, 2010 at 7:30 pm

oooh that looks awesome! I JUST bought couscous yesterday – love it!

17. Liz - Meal Makeover Mom posted February 8, 2010 at 9:27 pm

I love the whole wheat couscous and all your yummy mix-ins. Okay, when are you going to write a cookbook????

18. Colleen posted February 10, 2010 at 4:03 pm

I LOVE couscous and my husband doesn’t, so I have a whole container sitting in my pantry. This looks great to make for my lunches!

19. Judy posted September 16, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I just made this for a girls weekend at Cape Cod…It was a BIG hit!
    Fresh, yummy and healthy!!

20. Raelene Singler posted November 25, 2010 at 4:39 am

Hi, I’m glad discovered this website,I will bookmark it and I really liked it, Thanks

21. beste whey proteine posted February 10, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I write a health related blog, mostly in German. Probably my subject does not interest you, whey proteine, and I dont expect you to check out my web site. Nonetheless I wanted to say that I can understand the day to day effort that it takes to write a good blog. Thanks for taking the time and making the effort.

22. Tanya posted May 29, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Hey Aggie — just made this for the second time. Today I added shredded zucchini and fresh bean sprouts; used avocado honey — delish as always!

1. Pingback: Almost Summer… | Aggie's Kitchen

2. Pingback: Grilled Baby Bok Choy with Asian Sesame Vinaigrette | Aggie's Kitchen

3. Pingback: Asian Couscous Salad | Cookware Store